WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have my eye on a seiko mini-turtle because my small wrists and the short lug to lug seem like a match made in heaven.

Do you think that I could get away with wearing one with a suit, though?

It’s 2022 and by now pairing suits with dive watches is (almost) universally accepted. But is the cushion case a bit too tool-y for this pairing?

Would love to hear opinions on this, and see photos if you have any :)

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
I think the question of a sartorial match depends on several factors. But let me just hit two ends of a spectrum.
  • casual suiting, off the rack, general office wear - sure, even a mini-turtle would be fine and jibe stylistically
  • three-piece, tailored suit, pinstripes, evening or important event - no way
There are two competing points of view that will present themselves here and in similar threads.
  • You-do-you - of course, work your style as an individual as you see fit
  • You as a member of a sub-culture including clear expectations - do as in Rome. Even Zuck and Jobs put on a suit when testifying before Congress

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
I think the question of a sartorial match depends on several factors. But let me just hit two ends of a spectrum.
  • casual suiting, off the rack, general office wear - sure, even a mini-turtle would be fine and jibe stylistically
  • three-piece, tailored suit, pinstripes, evening or important event - no way
There are two competing points of view that will present themselves here and in similar threads.
  • You-do-you - of course, work your style as an individual as you see fit
  • You as a member of a sub-culture including clear expectations - do as in Rome. Even Zuck and Jobs put on a suit when testifying before Congress
Agreed. If people in your professional and social circles notice and comment on attire and personal accessories, then that needs to be considered. For most folks though…it’s not likely that someone is going to notice what you’ve got on your wrist, so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over It.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
For you, yes, I think it'll be fine, from the sound of it. Personally, I don't wear a dive watch with a suit; never have, never will.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority. All I did was wear divers with suits. Then again, I'm a strange one.
You're in the majority, don't worry, most people don't really care; hence the point I was trying to make [to the OP], if you're going to wear a dive watch with a suit methinks it's a bit silly to get caught up with the case shape.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Watch Arm Analog watch Black Azure

I have done it before with a full size turtle - as long as the setting isn’t too formal, it’s possible.

But it also doesn’t exactly slip effortlessly under the cuff, more of a squeeze.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
View attachment 16334905
I have done it before with a full size turtle - as long as the setting isn’t too formal, it’s possible.

But it also doesn’t exactly slip effortlessly under the cuff, more of a squeeze.
This is the reason I would say “no” — most Seiko dive watches sit very high on the wrist and either will not fit under the cuff or do so very tightly, and so it’s unsightly and looks sloppy. A thinner profile dive watch is no problem, but having owned a mini turtle it’s too tall to easily fit under the cuff.

·
Registered
776 Posts
This is the reason I would say “no” — most Seiko dive watches sit very high on the wrist and either will not fit under the cuff or do so very tightly, and so it’s unsightly and looks sloppy. A thinner profile dive watch is no problem, but having owned a mini turtle it’s too tall to easily fit under the cuff.
Right, I was lucky to have a relatively loose jacket sleeve and to be in an informal setting. I now own a BB58 which is much better suited to the task.

It seems it’s difficult to find a budget diver with slim proportions - but it’s not hard to find an affordable dress watch, ex. SARB, Bambino, etc. which could help, if OP is open to two watches.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts