WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I see a lot of bezel inserts for Seiko watches, but how are those made? If I have a design I want engraved on a blank insert, how would I have that done? Are there bezel engravers? Do they use CNC, laser, water-jet, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Today I'm sure it's CNC. When I was a machinist, we had this router called a Kantograph that was attached to the work or a fixture. You put letter patterns in a holder and then traced them onto the work by running a stylus through the slots in the patterns (and I believe I remember having to hold the router head down on the work).

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Today I'm sure it's CNC. When I was a machinist, we had this router called a Kantograph that was attached to the work or a fixture. You put letter patterns in a holder and then traced them onto the work by running a stylus through the slots in the patterns (and I believe I remember having to hold the router head down on the work).
Pantograph but you are correct that's how they work. I had one. It took two hands one to trace in the letters or patterns and the other to press the head down to the work. Great tool to have. I used mine to engrave a few one off dials and they came out great.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Funny, I was looking at some Kantographs in google images and they looked different than I remember. They looked mostly for carving nameplates in plastic that has wood grain on the surface and white in the middle, you know, really old school IBM campus sorta look.

I distinctly remember using it on an equipment panel to label the control positions, so it sat on the panel such that the engraver stuck out the bottom. Probably a different model or make; I remember it as German and I see Kanto Graph was Japanese. Well, that's what 40 years of time does to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts