WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is my first time customizing one of my beater gshocks. Just tried my hand at changing the color of the letters to match my gym shoes. Let me know what you think! If you have any tips please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Looks great to me! :-!

Some of the VERY minor flaws might be because of wear, and are only visible when it's blown up to 600% life-sized. ;-)

I just finished "stealthing" a black bezel today with black Testors model paint and my usual method: painting it on with a cotton swab and making sure to fill all of the letters, then letting the paint dry partway before removing the excess. After another recent thread gave me the idea, today I just tried "rolling" the painted part of the bezel across a piece of paper like a rubber stamp, which removed a lot of the paint from the surface without touching the paint in the lettering. A few "stamps" later, when no more paint was coming off, I GENTLY rubbed the last of the excess off with a Kleenex barely dampened with paint thinner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! That is a great idea about rolling it on paper. I had a very hard time trying to clean up the access. Someone told me an xacto would work well. It did for the most part, but at times I was cutting into the resin.

The Testors paint, is that what most people use? I some a couple of people using those, and a couple using paint pens. I used the latter.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
There are a LOT of threads about painting bezels here -- my best guess is that MOST people use Testors (or a similar) enamel-based hobby paint, followed in descending order by fingernail polish (about the same price, comes in more colors, probably more widely available), acrylic paints, and black markers (great for "stealthing" a bezel by making the letters match the black resin, but otherwise not much good for bezel lettering).

If you feel like a lot of reading, here's the link to the old thread in the tutorial section: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how-repaint-change-colour-letters-g-shock-68211.html

And here's one to a dozen more threads I found via Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17+bezel+painting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Very nice, I suggest the cyan also... with black bezel

Using acrylic paint is easy to remove the excess, using a wet paper on the surface, some minutes after applying. The result is perfect. And some weeks after, you can remove completely with soap and water and a toothbrush

Watches: G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 - Mudmaster GWG-1000

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you did a great job! Thank you for the tip. Does the acrylic ever cure to the point it would make it a pain to get out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts