WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Recently sold a company and we're looking to get something cool for our team that helped do it. Any idea if Lange & Sohne, FP Journe or Patek will allow customization and if so, how far will they go?

Probably just looking to have the back engraved, add a line of text on the dial face, and swap some colors.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on the sale! Sounds like it was successful ;) I don't think I've seen any dials with custom text from Journe, but no harm in asking. You can reach his brother Laurent if you call or stop by the LA Boutique.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the sale! Sounds like it was successful ;) I don't think I've seen any dials with custom text from Journe, but no harm in asking. You can reach his brother Laurent if you call or stop by the LA Boutique.
Thank you! I'm just grateful my business partners are WIS too. :D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hey guys! Recently sold a company and we're looking to get something cool for our team that helped do it. Any idea if Lange & Sohne, FP Journe or Patek will allow customization and if so, how far will they go?

Probably just looking to have the back engraved, add a line of text on the dial face, and swap some colors.
Rolex will, and does often. A little tame by your request I imagine.

JLC will as well.

Something more unique, RGM (also in baked enamel) and Ochs & Junior will.

I think I have seen custom Jaquet Droz, but it is harder to tell with them, lol

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Vacheron Constantin definitely will do this. They have "Les Cabinotiers" (https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/manufacture/les-cabinotiers.html): "The creation of made-to-order timepieces is a vocation actively pursued by Vacheron Constantin. Crafted by the nimble fingers of master watchmakers and experienced artisans, these unique models consistently push the boundaries of excellence." They recently released a prototype titanium Overseas Dual-Time (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/vc-overseas-everest-prototype-4980715.html) with a cool rotor. Perhaps a unique rotor design in an otherwise stock VC would be really cool, and perhaps not too crazy expensive. No idea what your budget is (or what these cost), but VC is certainly in the same conversation as ALS, PP, etc.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Rolex will, and does often. A little tame by your request I imagine. JLC will as well. Something more unique, RGM (also in baked enamel) and Ochs & Junior will. I think I have seen custom Jaquet Droz, but it is harder to tell with them, lol
Do you have any examples from Rolex? Often? Have not seen any except the Dominos etc but those were then and probly not available for order of just couple of pieces.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
FPJ will do custom dials when you've reached about 200k in watches, however, all must be approved by Mr. Journe himself. He famously refused a grand sonnerie custom dial that he didn't think was appropriate, turning away a big sale. It makes sense, though, because he is protecting his brand and also his creation.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Vacheron Constantin definitely will do this. They have "Les Cabinotiers" (https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/manufacture/les-cabinotiers.html): "The creation of made-to-order timepieces is a vocation actively pursued by Vacheron Constantin. Crafted by the nimble fingers of master watchmakers and experienced artisans, these unique models consistently push the boundaries of excellence." They recently released a prototype titanium Overseas Dual-Time (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/vc-overseas-everest-prototype-4980715.html) with a cool rotor. Perhaps a unique rotor design in an otherwise stock VC would be really cool, and perhaps not too crazy expensive. No idea what your budget is (or what these cost), but VC is certainly in the same conversation as ALS, PP, etc.
^^ This is a really great idea.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FPJ will do custom dials when you've reached about 200k in watches, however, all must be approved by Mr. Journe himself. He famously refused a grand sonnerie custom dial that he didn't think was appropriate, turning away a big sale. It makes sense, though, because he is protecting his brand and also his creation.
Do you mean you need to have previously ordered ~$200,000 in watches or that the order total needs to exceed it?

Also RE: Vacheron, I really dislike their watches compared to Patek/Lange and FP Journe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious.... Matter of aesthetic preference? Or is there some other reason?
They've always seemed underwhelming compared to their competitors in the same price range. Point to any model in Vacheron's lineup and it seems like a competitor can offer something better for roughly the same price, at least in my opinion. The first time I held a Lange it was an, "oh .... I see why these cost what they do," moment...definitely did not get that feeling with the first Vacheron I touched.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I read about one person who got an AP customized rotor for about $2500. The only problem might be getting the watches.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
They've always seemed underwhelming compared to their competitors in the same price range. Point to any model in Vacheron's lineup and it seems like a competitor can offer something better for roughly the same price, at least in my opinion. The first time I held a Lange it was an, "oh .... I see why these cost what they do," moment...definitely did not get that feeling with the first Vacheron I touched.
So, I get it. Lange makes exceptional watches. I own one. It's amazing.

What I don't get is wanting to slap some company and/or congratulations on the dial of such a masterpiece. They put such deep thought into every aspect of the watch design, I hope they tell you no.

Also, I'd wager that FPJ will tell you no.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I get it. Lange makes exceptional watches. I own one. It's amazing.

What I don't get is wanting to slap some company and/or congratulations on the dial of such a masterpiece. They put such deep thought into every aspect of the watch design, I hope they tell you no.

Also, I'd wager that FPJ will tell you no.
Where did I mention "slapping some company" on the dial? I'm looking to change the blue hue on a watch with blue hands to match my private equity firm's blue and have the back engraved. What a douche, if you don't have anything useful to play please feel free to take your ball and .... off.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Where did I mention "slapping some company" on the dial? I'm looking to change the blue hue on a watch with blue hands to match my private equity firm's blue and have the back engraved. What a douche, if you don't have anything useful to play please feel free to take your ball and .... off.
... In your original post, "Probably just looking to have the back engraved, add a line of text on the dial face, and swap some colors."

Maybe you meant something else.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mr Journe will make you a unique piece, but I think you need to be an established collector of his. My sense is his reaction to "you've never heard of me before but I'll pay you as much as you want for X" doesn't go over well. I'm in discussions with him on a unique piece (in theory it will be 1 of a kind, but based on an existing model of one of his more complicated pieces and he reserves the right to make more than one if other collectors see mine and make the same request) now for delivery in 2020. So it can be done. But as others have mentioned, it's a negotiation with him and his artistic/creative sensibilities. No pizza hut logos, haha.

In terms of walking in off the street, the VC program seems like your best bet, but if you don't like the watches, I wouldn't bother.

I've heard Lange will custom engrave the balance cocks for a small additional fee, that might be a nice route to go down. I think they'll do initials, and things like that. I have a contact I can ask about this if you want.

I think another thing you might want to ask yourself, is does the team really want to have the "customization" that you desire done to their watch as well. You run the PE fund and might have several high end watches due to your net worth. But what about the employees your gifting this to. It might be the nicest time piece they ever own. Do they really want "XXXX 2019" engraved on the movement base plate, or would the story behind how/why you gifted the watch be enough? Just something to consider....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts