WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
2121 - 2134 of 2134 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations on any metal screwback cases compatible with GWX-5600 modules and their solar panels? I got a DW5025 but it doesn’t have holes for the springs to connect the panel to the module. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
View attachment 16285726 View attachment 16285727
Sometimes this watch hobby devolves into finding new and more expensive ways to be dissatisfied. That pretty well sums up my quest for the ultimate square. Which I have nearly achieved. Nearly.
Having played with titanium squares both factory and homebuilt, I sought the ultimate in toughness and light weight, with particular aesthetics. The starting point was a stainless steel GMW-B5000 which I never wore because; A: too shiny and B: far too heavy at 150 grams. But if everything possible was replaced with titanium...
The goal was 100 gr. Fortunately, the titanium caseback screwed right into the steel case. Unfortunately, it cost $160. And only saved seven grams at 9.42 gr. (9.38 gr. without the protective sticker btw.) Likewise, the SS bezel is only a tad over seven grams weightier than the ti. The real heft is in the SS bracelet - 75 gr!
I knew the ti would be a real saving, but I wanted more - well, less, actually. Inspiration came from my TVA with its laser-drilled holes. I fired up my trusty industrial laser, um, my slightly rusty benchtop drill press. All that drilling and dimpling saved slightly less than 2 gr. Still oddly satisfying.
The clasp doesn't match because the raw ti kit comes with a grossly overweight SS clasp - 4.66 gr. over. Fetid dingoes kidneys! A different company does do a real ti clasp. Sadly, they don't cater to the GMW-B5000, nor do they offer a raw finish. Happily, the clasps are perfectly interchangeable. If anyone knows a chemical way to strip off that black finish, I'll be grateful.
Bottom line - 101.94 grams. Less than 10 gr. more than my camo ti square, albeit 20 gr. over my lightest resin conversion. A comforting presence on the wrist rather than an uncomfortable burden. Goal so nearly achieved. Though if I could just find a ti case...
Where did you get the titanium bezel from?

·
Registered
G-Shock & Zelos ATM
3,000 Posts
Haven’t browsed this thread since I sold my GW5000U that I modded but man all these mods are crazy nice!

Sent from my

·
Registered
437 Posts
Love this thread, guys. Any good jelly options out there for a gw5000? 🤔 its a jungle out there...
Get the dw-5600 option. The 5610 will not fit on gw-5000.

Jellies been produced again and available on ali after a hiatus of a year or longer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
By chance I have already ordered before once from that top link only to realise that this is a one piece design with a strange top look - I hated it.

That's why I would like something close to the original ;)

The vendors keep popping up, but which bezels and bands are the best in terms of quality (and looks)?

·
Registered
437 Posts
By chance I have already ordered before once from that top link only to realise that this is a one piece design with a strange top look - I hated it.

That's why I would like something close to the original ;)

The vendors keep popping up, but which bezels and bands are the best in terms of quality (and looks)?
All the vendors probably selling only these two variants.
Usually it’s only one or two factories producing this in rotation.
I took a closer look and I’ve gotten a couple sets like the ones from the second link.
But because they weren’t in production for one or two years, all the old vendors I used are Ow all different ones.

If the versions from the second link are the same as I had before, then I would say it’s pretty good and fits like a glove.

Watch Natural material Rectangle Clock Electric blue

Footwear Leg Sleeve Road surface Asphalt

2121 - 2134 of 2134 Posts