WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
When I saw the original thread of this some weeks ago I thought I'd have a go at making a caseback tool, as I too had to file down some pins on my standard tool to fit over a display back.

I decided that small metal pins were needed because plastic would shear off eventually. Looking through my spare parts bin I found several dozen cheap spring bar tools I'll never use so I snapped the round pins off six of them and designed a collar to hold the pins.

The collar uses as little unnecessary material as possible and has holes that are deep enough to hold the pins and resist sideways movement. For rotational torque I added holes that will fit one of the pin tools, or any metal rod of suitable size and length. Here it is printed in ABS along with some tools that haven't donated their pins.

I insert the pins in almost to the bottom of the holes so that when placing it on the caseback I press down to get them all lined up to slot into the ring.

Note how the collar easily clears the display back on this 350 case.

I find it works well. If any pins ever break I have an ample supply of replacements. If the collar breaks it only takes fifteen minutes to print a new one.

I would attach an STL of this so you can print your own but the forum won't allow that sort of attachment. If you'd like a copy of the STL (or the SCAD source) feel free to send me PM.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
When I saw the original thread of this some weeks ago I thought I'd have a go at making a caseback tool, as I too had to file down some pins on my standard tool to fit over a display back.

I decided that small metal pins were needed because plastic would shear off eventually. Looking through my spare parts bin I found several dozen cheap spring bar tools I'll never use so I snapped the round pins off six of them and designed a collar to hold the pins.

The collar uses as little unnecessary material as possible and has holes that are deep enough to hold the pins and resist sideways movement. For rotational torque I added holes that will fit one of the pin tools, or any metal rod of suitable size and length. Here it is printed in ABS along with some tools that haven't donated their pins.
View attachment 15505226

I insert the pins in almost to the bottom of the holes so that when placing it on the caseback I press down to get them all lined up to slot into the ring.
Perfect. I think that is the ideal way to design this tool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

View attachment 15505223 View attachment 15505224

View attachment 15505226

View attachment 15505228
Note how the collar easily clears the display back on this 350 case.

I find it works well. If any pins ever break I have an ample supply of replacements. If the collar breaks it only takes fifteen minutes to print a new one.

I would attach an STL of this so you can print your own but the forum won't allow that sort of attachment. If you'd like a copy of the STL (or the SCAD source) feel free to send me PM.
Nice design. I had considered this rout originally. I was going to use tool steel rod stock from McMaster-Carr and machine it to size. But after printing and testing in PLA+ I couldn't see why that would be necessary This works so well and just requires a little bit of post process. I also like that I'm not able to scratch the case or caseback since I'm a noob :) Of course there are many ways to approach it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As there are 6 pins, I assume the forces applied to each pin is roughly 1/6 the total required to turn the ring.?

Therefore, for the average user perhaps plastic pins will suffice and not shear.

Ideally, I think the pins should be square with an angled face which slopes down toward the centre of the tool. The caseback locking ring has sloped, square notches. I have filed the square pins of my Jaxa style wrench to give them the proper slope and now they fit more tightly and are less prone to slip out of the notches.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As there are 6 pins, I assume the forces applied to each pin is roughly 1/6 the total required to turn the ring.?

Therefore, for the average user perhaps plastic pins will suffice and not shear.

Ideally, I think the pins should be square with an angled face which slopes down toward the centre of the tool. The caseback locking ring has sloped, square notches. I have filed the square pins of my Jaxa style wrench to give them the proper slope and now they fit more tightly and are less prone to slip out of the notches.
As you'll see when you receive your sample, I've sanded all the pins to match the contour of the Vostok ring. Just like you described :) Great minds think alike?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Nice tool! But perhaps you can add the end to the short handle as shown in the picture. Then it would be a multipurpose tool ...

View attachment 15503801

Best wishes
Stephan
Nice tool! But perhaps you can add the end to the short handle as shown in the picture. Then it would be a multipurpose tool ...

View attachment 15503801

Best wishes
Stephan
I took that picture a year or so ago, I sent 12 of them to Sergey ... (Favinov) for reluming my watches.
They work excellent but wear out quickly if you have a stubborn bezel.
just sayen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I received my case back tools from Happy today. They look great!!!

I was able to set a few minutes aside and swap out the plain crown on my 420LE for a signed B crown.

The case back tool fits great and works perfectly!!! Easy swap with a nice upgrade on the crown.

Next up will be a clear case back on my partners 060. She is pretty excited to have it swapped out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The tool is well made and feels plenty sturdy for breaking the lock ring loose and for tightening it back up. The material is hard but not brittle. Length feels about right, no issues with leverage. Overall I give it a A+ No issues, no worries of scratches and it works.

Thank you to Happy for the opportunity to test these out. You did great!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Large clear case back on my Komandirskie GMT!!!

Happy's tool is excellent!!!
Hey Eagle, I just received this metal movement ring from eBay seller, bandukh. I have not fit it yet but it does look like good quality. Not that I dislike the red ring... but it's an option and ships quick from Louisiana in the US!

He has the silver in stock. You just have to message him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you!

I had the large clear back on an Amphibian first but the white plastic movement ring looked terrible.

I kinda like the red but a metal ring would sweet.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts