WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potential first time Damasko owner here, excited about how the brand lets you have a degree of customization for each watch.

I’ve always lusted after a Sinn EZM 1, but the rarity and price is such a deterrent. Ended up looking at the DC 80 LHV, which I think is a more than worthy option.

Initially the DC 82 caught my eye, but customer service at Damasko explained that the movement with date couldn’t be converted to a left hand configuration.

So I’m thinking a DC80 LHV, with black Damest coated bezel, crown and pushers, much like this:

B4D29092-52EE-475C-B2EF-DEAD7565B8BD.jpeg

Some common mods I see are swapping the bezel to an hour counter, does this offer much advantage versus the stock bezel?

Also changing of hands to sword type and maybe different colored hands or bezel pips, which is of course depends on individual taste, but I’m curious about any opinions you guys might have.

If YOU were to fully customize this, what would you choose to do, and why?

·
Registered
832 Posts
The hour counter bezel is a good idea, to accumulate hours in an explicit way. A count-up or down bezel 'can' be used to visualise accumulated hours but also to time up/down a second timing zone. Whichever best suites your needs really.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I’m a fan of the 1-11GMT bezel. I use it all the time. As far as the mix of colors go. I’d keep the pushers and crown the same as the case. Silver would be my choice. Looks great with with the black bezel. It’s a really versatile. Sword hands are great looking. I’d probably go with an orange or blue second hand.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The EZM 1 is lust-worthy indeed, and if that's what you truly want I wouldn't settle. However, the Damasko is a more than worthy competitor. The bezel choice comes down to which you think you'd get more use out of. I don't travel often, unfortunately, so a bidirectional 60-minute-countdown bezel is as useful as they come. I personally don't like outer AR coating, so I would option for the inner-only. And with regards to the color/handset, I'm fine with either handset, but I wouldn't go for the Damest-coated pushers/crown, and I would opt for a color-matched, perhaps blue, chrono seconds/minutes hands and lume pip. It'll be a great watch whichever way you customize it.

Reactions: Batboy and ldo123

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep those great suggestions coming guys, a lot of help and good input here so far and I really appreciate it.

What I’m hearing so far is keep the bezel black but crown and pushers the same color as the rest of the case. I think although minor, would make the overall look more cohesive/less jarring?

Bezel wise, the hour counter seems to add more versatility to the watch so I’ll go that way.

Am really torn between the sword hands or the stick hands (default on this model).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've seen Damasko customizations with swapped hands and bezels before but will they do a dial or the dial markers in a different color for you? Or the subdials? Or the date wheel?

I had convinced myself that I don't actually like chronographs but after reading about Steve McQueen's Hanhart 417, I'm reconsidering a DC86 for my own troubles on two wheels...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've seen Damasko customizations with swapped hands and bezels before but will they do a dial or the dial markers in a different color for you? Or the subdials? Or the date wheel?
I’ve emailed Watchmann on this very same question...the response I received was Damasko limits the customization to bezels, hands, and pips.

I asked about swapping dials with movements and it was a no go. There is still a lot of good customization to be done with those options. I think a 12 hour bezel on the DC80/82 is a great idea. Gives you the hour counter if you need it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm not a big fan of a black bezel + black crown and pushers, while the rest of the watch is in the regular bead blasted look. Either keep it completely black or leave only the bezel insert black.

Also I don't like watches that do not feature a running seconds hand, hence I decided to go for the DC86 (in a black/orange version).

Night time visibility of the "lume pip" is important for me, hence I decided to get it customized to white instead of orange (if you get it colored, visibility is greatly impaired during darkness hours).

In order to reduce reflections on the crystal, I went for a flat one with AR-coating on the underside only (to reduce the chance of getting micro-scratches on the crystal).

I further ordered the watch with a countdown bezel, because that's what I need most of the time...

To sum it up, I love the fact that Damasko offers so many customization options on their watches, so simply select the options that suit your own demands and expectations!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm also a big fan of the DC80, but like lots of guys with sub-8" wrists, I find it a tad large. So my preferred customization would be a very simple one -- no bezel at all. Of course, I'd love to see it in a 40mm case like the DC5X and DC6X chrono models, but I'm not sure the C51 movement would fit. So, barring that happy day, a naked, bezel-less DC8X would be my preferred configuration.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Considering a custom DC56 myself. What’s the move:

• Color running seconds?
  • Color chrono seconds?
  • Color for all chrono hands?

Also it’s tiny but I’m really frustrated that DC6X dualshave updated with the logo snug to the date windows but the DC5X have that whitespace gap. Is almost go with a DC6X just for that but I’m afraid it’ll be too big.

·
Registered
241 Posts
FYI, Greg from WatchMann confirmed that you can configure your DC8X series with either the flat sapphire crystal (standard on the DC80/82) or the slightly domed (standard on the DC86).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My custom DC80 LHV is being built right now. I went with a 12 hour bezel, an orange airplane minute counter, and a white seconds hand. I thought about blue originally, but I decided that orange would offer more contrast.

Since I already have a Sinn EZM 1.1 and EZM 10, I chose sword hands for my Damasko. I think this will provide some stylistic variation on otherwise similar watches.

I had a DC66 when they first came out, but I found the traditional chronograph setup very difficult to use while flying.

I am left handed, and I prefer a no date watch because I cross the dateline frequently so, it simplifies the setting process.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I kind of wish the 12 hour bezel didn't have all the hash indicators.
Not sure what is gained with them... ?

If you are using the bezel as an hour timing feature with the chrono,
then even without the hashes it will be "good enough" to know roughly where you are in the hour, and then just glance at the minute airplane to see the exact minutes.

But if you are using the bezel as a poor man's GMT, then all the hashes are just 'busy' looking (exception maybe a 1/2 hr indication for certain places) as there are already enough hash marks on the dial!

I photoshopped someone else's photo here:
wonder if Damasko would consider customizing by just "not painting" (filling in) the hash marks, but I assume it's automated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My custom DC80 LHV is being built right now. I went with a 12 hour bezel, an orange airplane minute counter, and a white seconds hand. I thought about blue originally, but I decided that orange would offer more contrast.

I just ordered a black DC80 LHV with green chronograph hands and countdown bezel. I found a black NATO strap with green stripe that I think will look pretty sharp on the Damasko. I have a Sinn U1000 and really like the pushers and crown away from my wrist, especially on a watch this size. If Damasko ever comes out with a black bracelet for this watch, sign me up.

Reactions: TimeOnTarget

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
Here's mine: sword hands, blue chrono hands, white pip, 12 hour insert, black Damest bezel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts