WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody who knows how much customs and duties and taxes for canada when we ship pre-owned or bnew watches?

thanks

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
anybody who knows how much customs and duties and taxes for canada when we ship pre-owned or bnew watches?

thanks
No clue but please note that I deleted the other post. One thread should do the trick, don't you think ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it depends a lot on the value of the watch and where it's coming from... the question is too vague to give you any solid answer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Watches are tariff 9101 and are almost all duty-rated at 5%. Various trade agreements apply, so for example, NAFTA-sourced would be 0% duty.

Your provincial tax (GST, GST/PST, HST) will be added to the duty-included value, as well as any handling or brokerage fee.

Umm...Canada Post often doesn't bother collecting the duty/tax....

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
You might get lucky if your watch isn't really an expensive item. Otherwise budget an additional 20% or so.

Reactions: SKX779J1

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I just got dinged with a $200 charge on my last watch (delivered early Dec)
how much was declared if i may ask? and will they do that even if it is pre-owned but worth around 3k to 5k? what if it is bnew from US worth 7k? will it be 17%?

thanks guys for helping out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Watches are tariff 9101 and are almost all duty-rated at 5%. Various trade agreements apply, so for example, NAFTA-sourced would be 0% duty.

Your provincial tax (GST, GST/PST, HST) will be added to the duty-included value, as well as any handling or brokerage fee.
Canada Post charges $5.00 for the actual brokerage fee.

hdms said:
The actual taxes and duty will be the same independant of who you use as your shipper. Where you will get nicked is with the brokerage fees. UPS is one of the most common shippers and they have a brokerage chart on their website. If you ship UPS ground you will get absolutely screwed on fees, but if you ship any other UPS method the brokerage fee is rolled into the shipping cost. So it's really a question of "cheap ground shipping + expensive brokerage" vs. "more expensive shipping + $0 brokerage". Do the math and figure out which is cheapest. Or go with Canada Post, $5. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have yet to see any discernible pattern with all the watches I have had shipped in from the States. I am sure there are specific rules and regulations but it appears they are not enforced on a consistent basis. I would estimate I get dinged about 30% to 40% of the time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I was lucky, when I imported my Perrelet from the US, they only charged me tax, no duty.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Duty is a more complex issue and especially if Canada Post is handling things, it is often let go on a US shipment. However they don't forget about HST or whatever sales taxes apply in your province.
You really have no control over what happens, except you can keep brokerage fees low by asking the seller to ship via the mail. They may not want to ship from the US via mail though if the watch is expensive, because it cannot be insured properly unless a third party insurance firm gets involved.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Recent Seiko MM300 purchase from Japan (CDN$2500ish) marked as "Seiko Horological Device" arrived duty and tax free, despite the value being clearly marked on the package. Shipped via EMS, arrived via Canada Post. Not my fault if they can't be bothered to open the dictionary. That said, I always budget the extra 18%, sometimes they get you, sometimes they don't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts