WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,

So I'm about to purchase my first purchase of a timepiece that is currently located outside of the United States (I usually shop in ADs or use grey market dealers that are based in the US). Specifically, the watch is in Singapore. The watch in question is a brand new Seiko Presage SSA341J1 which is priced at $334.10 with free international shipping.

I'm curious as to what kind of customs fees I will have to pay for this piece and if there is a way to calculate it online. So far I've had no luck finding a way to calculate it after a couple hours of searching.

Thanks and my apologies if this is asked a lot on the site, I couldn't find a relatively recent post on this matter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything under $800 won't assess INTO the United States.
That's what I've read on a lot of sites, good to have clarification.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Customs / Duties = just another way to rip off the average citizen.
Duties/customs is to control the balance of trade in your favor/protect your own national industries etc.
So basically, the only way to have no duties is if no country in the world has duties on any imports.

That runs counter to the spirit of nationalism.
Logically, not to have duties is to wish not to have Countries................the World = 1 country

I say cheers to that.

Reactions: Nokie

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
The $800 applies when you return from abroad with goods in your possession - not so sure it applies when you have an item shipped. Here is what CPB says about the $800 threshold:

The duty-free exemptions ($200, $800, or $1,600) apply if:

- The items are for your personal or household use or intended to be given as gifts.

-They are in your possession, that is, they accompany you when you return to the United States. Items to be sent later may not be included in your $800 duty-free exemption. (Exceptions apply for goods sent from Guam or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)​

From: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/246/~/duty--free-exemption

My personal experience involved buying a $900 Stowa - I was assessed duty on the full value of the watch, but it was only $35. The calculation did not exempt the first $800. I recall that the overall duty was the sum of duties for the case, movement and strap.

Anyway, my guess is OP will pay very little, if anything. Often it depends on the shipper that's used. From what I've read here on WUS, FedEx may later send an invoice for duties. EMS (from Japan/Asia) and DHL typically do not.

Good luck OP.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Last watch I got from overseas I paid $630 for (retail was ~$750) and no duty or customs fees were levied on it. This was maybe a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Recently purchased a $3,500 watch out of Germany. I had to pay an extra $80 or so for it to come into the country. That was a lot less than I was worried it might be.

·
Premium Member
37,538 Posts
You should be fine if the costs are as stated.

·
Premium Member
72,509 Posts
Recently purchased a $3,500 watch out of Germany. I had to pay an extra $80 or so for it to come into the country. That was a lot less than I was worried it might be.
Fortunately for me Germany is within the EU so I would have incurred no duty but if it had come from, say, Singapore the VAT man would have wanted $700 off me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
IME, your chances of paying a duty depend on price but more importantly the carrier. Carriers like FedEx and UPS normally always will send you a bill. They act as a broker and pay your duties for you at the port of entry and send you a bill a few weeks later. IME, they do this automatically based on the declared price/category that the sender states on the shipping form(s). I’ve had this happen 3-4 for times when receiving watches from the EU.

On the other hand if EMS is used, the final domestic leg will be completed by USPS. Last year (Apr 2018), I had a $2k Seiko shipped from Japan and did not pay any duties. IIRC from the research I did at the time, if EMS is used, it’s hit/miss if US Customs will inspect your package and access a fee. I believe if you are accessed a duty, you have to pick your package up at your local Post Office at which point you pay your duty. USPS won’t deliver to your home directly because mail carriers aren’t allowed to handle monetary transactions.

With all that said, your package won’t be charged regardless of how it’s shipped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, having read this thread I thought (wrongly) that importing a watch from Japan bought from Seiya via DHL would not be more than 3-5% duty. Boy was I wrong. Cost of watch was $1732.00 Final charge $201.40!! Buyer beware!!! import duty.PNG

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I just bought an Orient Star through japan_atmarket shipped from Japan and received in 8 days. Total price was the listed price on EBay. No tax, no duties, no nada. Factory warranty card stamped the day I ordered it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts