WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys just wanted your opinion from those who have seen or owned both watches on how the CWC RN Divers Watch compares to the Seiko SKX 007J.

Im asking about build quality, fit, feel and wrist prescience etc as the movements are obviously very different.

I've owned the Seiko and would like to know how the CWC compares.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I love em' both, and as you point out they are coming from very different places - movement, design etc.
The CWC is very definately more 'tool' in finish and focus, the 007 has a blend of polish and brushed finishes giving it a dressier edge.
I would rate the dial on the Seiko slightly higher for precision of finish but the tool quality of the CWC is totally in keeping with the rest of the watch.
Value wise the Seiko will be less that half the cost of the CWC but the CWC is seldom seen so will be more exclusive.
My own conclusion...
1. Seiko007 is a legend a evolutionary successor to the 6217 the 6105 the 6309 and the 7002, you can't go wrong here.
2. The CWC has its own brand of cool - it is no a no nosense genuine military spec watch that has a ton of retro appeal with its 1960's semi cushion case. It comes as an Auto or Quartz but the Auto will cost 5x the 007.

The Seiko can't be beaten for value but the CWC has a more exclusive caché, whatever you choose you won't be disappointed.

Longstride.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love em' both, and as you point out they are coming from very different places - movement, design etc.
The CWC is very definately more 'tool' in finish and focus, the 007 has a blend of polish and brushed finishes giving it a dressier edge.
I would rate the dial on the Seiko slightly higher for precision of finish but the tool quality of the CWC is totally in keeping with the rest of the watch.
Value wise the Seiko will be less that half the cost of the CWC but the CWC is seldom seen so will be more exclusive.
My own conclusion...
1. Seiko007 is a legend a evolutionary successor to the 6217 the 6105 the 6309 and the 7002, you can't go wrong here.
2. The CWC has its own brand of cool - it is no a no nosense genuine military spec watch that has a ton of retro appeal with its 1960's semi cushion case. It comes as an Auto or Quartz but the Auto will cost 5x the 007.

The Seiko can't be beaten for value but the CWC has a more exclusive caché, whatever you choose you won't be disappointed.

Longstride.
Thank you Longstride

Can I ask how do you compare the bezel and illumination between each wTch - is one better than the over?

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I think the lume on the Seiko is superior (but in many ways Seiko lume is better that almost anything, including Rolex etc) , I like the bezel action on the CWC more it's got a higher tension spring so it feels more 'meaty' - for want of a better term.
CWC..jpg

I got the RN Diver with no date and the 'Bead Blast' case finish (they may still have some left) but the regular CWC has an all satin brushed case.

Reactions: JME

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Haven't owned that Seiko but have owned several others. Most Seikos are very good value pieces.
However, I would not say I bought my CWC for value but rather I just wanted it. It has been one of the few keepers over thel years with many flips.
I like everything about it, especially the size. I have grown tired of brick-size watches.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I do like the look of the CWC and may pull the trigger on either the RN or SBS - just a bit unsure on the lume as I like to be able to know the time if I wake up in the night.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
You will definately have no problem with the CWC lume, I wore my CWC last night and it stayed illuminated through the night...no problem.
Thanks for the input guys. I do like the look of the CWC and may pull the trigger on either the RN or SBS - just a bit unsure on the lume as I like to be able to know the time if I wake up in the night.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a Seiko 009 great value watch good lume and very comfortable to wear. Never had CWC but sure looks nice just remember those fixed bars will limit your strap options.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts