WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year or so ago I became aware of Erika's 'Marine Nationale' straps, developed for and by the French "Nageurs de combat" or Combat Divers - modern reproductions of the straps used by the French MN Divers. She had sourced original NOS elastic parachute strap/webbing as used by the MN in the 1970's, so combining that with the correct hardwear Erika has made a strap that is a must have for a military style Dive watch.

At the time the MN straps were introduced they would only work with watches equipped with remove-able spring bars, a watch with fixed lug bars was a no-go.

I contacted Erika just before Christmas and said to Erika that I wanted a strap - but could one be engineered to fit a watch with fixed lugs, she said it was not a problem.....so I had to have one....Obviously!

MN1.jpg

The color of the parachute strap is perfect.

MN2.jpg

MN3.jpg

...the patina of the hardware matches the matte finish of the case perfectly.

Mn4.jpg

..the clasp.

MN5.jpg

...a 'How to' Shot...So fixed lug afficianados, now you have no excuse. Erika is your go to - Erika's Originals.

Cheers - Longstride.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
These are the best NATO-style straps EVER. Why, they solve several problems:

1) They are infinitely adjustable. No getting stuck between holes
2) They're elastic, so they stretch when your wrist expands
3) They're somehow both soft and grippy, so your watch won't slide down your wrist.

The new colors are also a welcome change. I'm waiting for the new black strap for my Hammerhead. Will post pics once I receive it.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes my CWC is a Quartz, the lume is amongst the best, my Seiko Tuna is better but the CWC is right there just behind it.

The Marine Nationale strap is not a NATO - it is a strap design that went through several evolutions between the 1960's and the 1980's, The strap was developed by the French 'Marine Nationale Nageurs de combat' and was mainly used on their Rolex, Tudor and Spirotechniqe dive watches.

This strap represents one of the late evolutions of the design it has the adjustable parachute derived hardware, it's a unique design it's very comfortable and flexible and way more interesting than a NATO or ZULU or a Perlon.

I like the CWC diver. Is it quartz? Yours, that is. How's the lume on that?

So you need to specify to Erika that you want a NATO for fixed bars?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Gents, the modified elastic parachute strap was not used on the wrist! it was only used to fasten a watch case to the navigation board, on the wrist the watches were worn on the metal bracelet or on a perlon strap, seeing someone wearing a Sublike watch with a parachute strap would make an oldtimer chuckle!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Great point, Kelt. I think I still have one similar to this pic I found online in my box of old dive gear.

It is the way to navigate underwater, especially in the dark. Swim X minutes at X depth in X direction, then adjust to the new direction. I think mine also has a grease pencil and a spot to write a message as needed.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Very nice. How does it fit the lugs (they are listed as 21mm)? Also, was there an upcharge for the fixed-lug design?
Look like she will have the Black Ops in 20mm in a few moths. I want one in all black with PVD hardware. Don't need the fixed-lug design but prefer it as the strap does not cross the watch back.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
kelt I have followed up with some additional research and here is what I have...

DSC08067-1024x683.jpg

the above photograph is from Basel world 2014 in this link (below) which they talk about historic MN Tudors and the Parachute webbing wrist strap.

Baselworld 2014: Pictures of the Tudor novelties and some historical icons of the brand

...secondly here is a link to Tudor Watch announcing a Snowflake Homage that has a parachute webbing strap as used by the Marine Nationale (half way down the page) it says that MN watches from Tudor were issued without bands or bracelets and that the MN would make their own from parachute webbing...

https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/article/baselworld-2016-black-bay-bronze

...Thirdly here is a link to Outre-Mer (French Military Surplus) they are selling a simple loop style of this strap...

https://www.outremer-surplus.net/prestashop/fr/montres/73-bracelet-de-montre-nageur-de-combat.html

...and now here are some shots of original vintage Marine Nationale watch straps...(stolen from the web)...

hAKjqRL.jpg

StVnBQo.jpg

...and here is a link to a collector who collects genuine vintage MN straps and his photo library on Imgur...

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

...kelt I do not doubt that what you say RE: the parachute webbing being used to secure a watch head to a navigation board is correct - I think that the MN divers (and it seems the Army divers too) used the webbing to also make watch straps.

Regards - Longstride.

Gents, the modified elastic parachute strap was not used on the wrist! it was only used to fasten a watch case to the navigation board, on the wrist the watches were worn on the metal bracelet or on a perlon strap, seeing someone wearing a Sublike watch with a parachute strap would make an oldtimer chuckle!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No William same cost for the fixed lug design...the 21mm strap fits into the 20mm lugs prefectly, it has a certain amount of latex in it's construction so it functions perfectly.

Very nice. How does it fit the lugs (they are listed as 21mm)? Also, was there an upcharge for the fixed-lug design?
Look like she will have the Black Ops in 20mm in a few moths. I want one in all black with PVD hardware. Don't need the fixed-lug design but prefer it as the strap does not cross the watch back.

·
Registered
929 Posts
kelt I have followed up with some additional research and here is what I have...

View attachment 10620362

the above photograph is from Basel world 2014 in this link (below) which they talk about historic MN Tudors and the Parachute webbing wrist strap.

Baselworld 2014: Pictures of the Tudor novelties and some historical icons of the brand

...secondly here is a link to Tudor Watch announcing a Snowflake Homage that has a parachute webbing strap as used by the Marine Nationale (half way down the page) it says that MN watches from Tudor were issued without bands or bracelets and that the MN would make their own from parachute webbing...

https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/article/baselworld-2016-black-bay-bronze

...Thirdly here is a link to Outre-Mer (French Military Surplus) they are selling a simple loop style of this strap...

https://www.outremer-surplus.net/prestashop/fr/montres/73-bracelet-de-montre-nageur-de-combat.html

...and now here are some shots of original vintage Marine Nationale watch straps...(stolen from the web)...

View attachment 10620394

View attachment 10620402

...and here is a link to a collector who collects genuine vintage MN straps and his photo library on Imgur...

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

...kelt I do not doubt that what you say RE: the parachute webbing being used to secure a watch head to a navigation board is correct - I think that the MN divers (and it seems the Army divers too) used the webbing to also make watch straps.

Regards - Longstride.

You forgot one vital aspect - they look cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
kelt I do not doubt that what you say RE: the parachute webbing being used to secure a watch head to a navigation board is correct - I think that the MN divers (and it seems the Army divers too) used the webbing to also make watch straps.

In the 1960/70, the diving watches were not part of the French military diver individual kit, they were issued to the divers when needed for actual diving not a full time attribution, the divers were not allowed to "customize" them. The watches were usually attributed to a diving team or to a ship not to an individual.

I know, I had to buy my own, which was not a high expense then, military divers were well paid with extra diving and parachute jump bonuses.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, well that's great to know kelt -how do you explain the various links (Tudor and Outer Mer etc) that attribute the use of Para webbing as watch straps etc.... I have seen Marine Nationale photos with divers wearing watches some are as you say on bracelets and some are on straps but its not possible to see what type of strap they are. BTW do you still have your Tudor Sub?

Regards - Longstride.

equipment
In the 1960/70, the diving watches were not part of the French military diver individual kit, they were issued to the divers when needed for actual diving not a full time attribution, the divers were not allowed to "customize" them. The watches were usually attributed to a diving team or to a ship not to an individual.

I know, I had to buy my own, which was not a high expense then, military divers were well paid with extra diving and parachute jump bonuses.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Wow kelt thats a beauty!!
I regret selling it, after forty years of impeccable service the movement went dead and the Rolex dealer offered me a ridiculously high price to buy it off me, apparently these two lines no COSC model 5512 sold cheaper than a 5513 in the early 1970s have great collector value nowadays, It has been replaced by a 14060M but I miss polishing its scratch magnet acrylic dome.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts