WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this today. Rather special for me, (although there's a Patek and a Breguet to compete with.;-))

14 carat gold case by Trusty - which was a brand of Schwob Freres as was Cyma.

I think its a Jean Finger patent case, 1921 see The Development of the Waterproof Watch although it doesn't say so. With these designs, the bezel screws off to give access to the movement which is on a hinge to allow for setting and winding but otherwise is sealed against the elements.

The back is engraved E.O. Johnson

And I think its got a Cyma 30 inside - running and keeping time and yes I can see that the regulator has been pushed right over.:-d

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Got this today. Rather special for me, (although there's a Patek and a Breguet to compete with.;-))
Indeed... got a couple of threads I wanted to post... may wait until WUS returns to 'normal' activity :)

Congrats... that is a little bit special!

Is the inner cover also gold? Your pic makes it look a bit coppery.

Can honestly say I'm a little jealous of that one... congrats again!

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow! That is really rather special.

Now please don't tell me that you bought this for £3.50...
Alas no. £460 - which makes it my most expensive ever purchase by some margin money_32x32.png .

But some of these cases can show real wear to the bezel and this is pretty lightly used I think.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed... got a couple of threads I wanted to post... may wait until WUS returns to 'normal' activity :)

Congrats... that is a little bit special!

Is the inner cover also gold? Your pic makes it look a bit coppery.

Can honestly say I'm a little jealous of that one... congrats again!
Cheers Marc. No - the inner cover is marked 'metal' - and is decidedly coppery.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Wow....

Two wows in as many days, tis a record for me but I wasn't expecting to see such a rare and super, true hermetic-cased watch.
I've been looking for one of these for years, did this watch come from the bay?

You got this watch for a very good price in my opinion, they are rare and these cases were the best at the time for protecting
the watch.
It looks in very good condition and the quality double sunk dial looks pristine.

A great watch, I'm jealous.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
By Marcs standards it was cheap!
Bloody cheek ;-)

From memory, I only own 2 watches which have cost me over £460.... it just looks like I constantly spend more!! Just think how many 'Marrick Style' buys that £460 could have bought..... still, I think that was a great buy.

As you have said, the condition is very good, my FB version in silver, is still in the 'to-do' pile... just trying to remember if its also a cyma (cant remember).

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
That is a very nice watch
I have one in 14kt.
Yes it uses Jean Finger Patent of 1921 - I have a copy if you want it.

Interestingly it was thought for a long time Jean Finger was the inventor if the Full Hermetic Watch. Then while working in the Museum last year, I found a 1919 advert by Gruen, and guess what - same case.
I investigated it and Gruen applied (more or less) an identical case 3 yrs earlier in 1918! So they were truly the inventor NOT Jean Finger.
Then Wilsdorf patented basically an identical patent in 1922.

And really all three are the same

I will post the pictures of Gruen's advert - its cool.

Nice Buy.
You will love it

I bid on the Eberhard you posted the link too, but not enough.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Thank you Adam. Yes I'd like to see a copy of the Finger patent. David Boettcher describes the similarity of the Gruen/Finger patents here; The Development of the Waterproof Watch and look forward to seeing the Gruen ad.
OK searching for the Gruen advert in my photobucket

Yes I know David very well, we have discussed the similarities of the three patents.
Its incredible.
Give me a few minutes

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
OK.
The Gruen adverts 1918 and 1919
But there patent was applied 1918 - I have that too.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Here you go
Gruen Patent Applied May 18 1918/Granted May 1919

Jean Finger Patent Applied Jan 1921/Granted May 1921

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Exquisite watch, I have rarely seen anything in such good condition with that age. I love the research as well. The advert, "The wrist watch for convenience - the pocket watch for accuracy," makes me chuckle a bit. :)

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Exquisite watch, I have rarely seen anything in such good condition with that age. I love the research as well. The advert, "The wrist watch for convenience - the pocket watch for accuracy," makes me chuckle a bit. :)
Glad you like them all.
From my memory that was Gruens first color advert with wrist watch - I have a copy.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Thought you may like to see another variation, that I own:
Silver 1922 Hermetic Sealed – Jean Finger Patent wristwatch.
Hermetic sealed wristwatch with silver import mark for Glasgow and letter ‘L’ for 1922 – One year after Jean Finger patent 88276 Jan 1921 and same year as Wilsdorf identical patent 197208 May 26[SUP]th[/SUP] 1922!
The jeweled movement is stamped Swiss made, enamel dial with sunk sub seconds.
The case is stamped with the importers initials J W – John Weir, Jewellers & silversmiths, Buchanan Street, Glasgow.

another cool piece.

Best

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With a hinged bezel rather than screwed on.:think: Very interesting - thanks for all that Adam.:-!

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers. I think its spent most of its life in a drawer. Being 14 carat it was probably sold in the USA originally, and i wonder if the EO Johnson who owned it was the guy who founded the office equipment company of that name.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts