WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across an old Cyma Triplex watch from I think the early/mid 50's. Haven't been able to find out much about it here or online at large. I do understand the Triplex feature to be a form of shock absorption, but I sure would like to learn more about it if possible. It's got a nice patina that I'll probably leave alone and just wear for myself. Also, quality-wise, is this a good dependable watch? Higher end?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's one. I've since replaced the crystal.

I feel like the sub-second hand is not original as it's a slightly different colour than the hour/minute hands and a different style. I could be wrong, but all the CYMA sub-second hands I've seen from this era don't have a tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Some how the pictures are not showing are you forgetting to upload the picture after you select and open the picture?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some how the pictures are not showing are you forgetting to upload the picture after you select and open the picture?
Pretty sure the picture is working. Sometimes if a picture is taking a while to appear, I close the box and click again on the picture. This usually brings it right up.

Hard to say...hand styles change frequently. The style of hour/minute hand suggests that they used to have lume (and quite possibly radium-based lume) which might have changed the colour over time.
I agree, I'm pretty sure the hands had lume, as did the arrow head hour markers. It's still there but dead and ugly looking really. At some point I may do a full a restoration to make it look like new with new lume etc. But then again I may just leave it as is.

Still would like more info on this watch and the Triplex in general if anyone can help. Thanks!

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,928 Posts
I stumbled across an old Cyma Triplex watch from I think the early/mid 50's. Haven't been able to find out much about it here or online at large. I do understand the Triplex feature to be a form of shock absorption, but I sure would like to learn more about it if possible. It's got a nice patina that I'll probably leave alone and just wear for myself. Also, quality-wise, is this a good dependable watch? Higher end?
Nice looking watch. I believe Cymaflex was the Cyma shock absorption system. I'm not aware of them making a second one. I've seen some Cyma watches marked Triplex but have yet to read anything that would indicate it is other than a model name. Here's a link to an older auction on the Ranfft site with some more information.

bidfun-db 1197475241: 412: Gents Cyma Triplex Manual Wind, ca. 1950 n.o.s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link, appreciate it. So I guess "Triplex", if anything, was a marketing strategy for the Cymaflex shock protection? I can't decide if I should clean the dial and restore the lume. It seems like either both should be done or it should be left alone.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My guess is it's a reference to being triple sealed, at the crown, the crystal and the back. I remember seeing old advertisements for watches that proclaimed that they were triple sealed. I have nothing more to go on than that.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, look at that! Thanks very much for bringing it to our attention.

It's a fine little watch that I picked up at a bric-a-brac store for $15. It works perfectly and gets over 36 hours on a full wind losing only about 2-3 minutes. I should open it up to learn what movement it is. I've read that the CYMA movements from this era are quite respectable? Having looked around for similar CYMA watches I've decided that I like their understated style, and I like the smaller vintage watches to begin with. You won't be catching me with a can of tuna on my wrist any time soon. ;-)

Thanks again for the information.

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,928 Posts
Wow, look at that! Thanks very much for bringing it to our attention.

It's a fine little watch that I picked up at a bric-a-brac store for $15. It works perfectly and gets over 36 hours on a full wind losing only about 2-3 minutes. I should open it up to learn what movement it is. I've read that the CYMA movements from this era are quite respectable? Having looked around for similar CYMA watches I've decided that I like their understated style, and I like the smaller vintage watches to begin with. You won't be catching me with a can of tuna on my wrist any time soon. ;-)

Thanks again for the information.
If it were my watch I would leave the dial as is. A new crystal will probably do wonders for appearance. Yes, the Cyma movements are well thought of. Once the back is off you can look up the movement here for more information:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements

My one and only Cyma is a handwind with a 488.2 movement that sports a big screwed balance wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
My Grandfather was a dealer and had all kinds of high end watches pass through his hands but he always wore a Cyma and that's good enough for me :-!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts