WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my review on the elusive Phantom Aquanaut - the Cheapest ST-2130 diver on the planet @ RMB 518.00/SGD $103.44/USD $75.00.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z1r.7974869.0.0.269c3ad4fMLsMs&id=566736657800

I bought it on 25/01 and had only received the 6105 homage last week, owing to the delay caused by CNY Holidays & the 2019-Cov outbreak.

Comes in a orange box (probably the same exact one from Steeldive, San Martin etc.)
The strap is very large and stiff so I switched it out for a cheap matching strap from TB.
IMG_20200306_140952.jpg
IMG_20200306_234949.jpg

Specs sheet:

Brand: D.Veith
Case: 316L Stainless Steel
Movement: Sea-gull ST-2130 28,800 VPH
Case Diameter: 44mm
Case Thickness: 13mm
Strap: 22mm

The dial itself is flawless and the sapphire glass is properly AR-coated.
The bezel is 120 clicks, tight with zero back-play and actually lands perfectly.
Its chapter-ring, everything about it is 100% perfectly symmetrical that it is borderline uncanny
(Insert condescending Seiko remark here*).

That being said, my other diver, the Nautec has a better-feeling bezel

IMG_20200306_2350062.jpg
IMG_20200306_235006.jpg

The case is well-machined and there is a slight heft to it.
I really like how unique the screw-down crown looks and the Aquanaut logo just makes it work.
However, the screw-down crown is a tad rough and easily traps bits of skin.
Changing the time is also not as smooth as I had hoped as it feels slightly vague, not as bad as what I heard from Steeldive but it is no Ocean Star.
There is clear distinction between quick-changing the date and adjusting the time.

TB25JJMbVooBKNjSZFPXXXa2XXa_!!907932025.jpg
IMG_20200306_234827.jpg

Lume is on the dimmer side of things, not as bright as what I had seen from other brands.
It however is surprisingly long-lasting and the application is consistent throughout the watch.

IMG_20200308_235127.jpg
IMG_20200308_235032.jpg
(The P30 is the king of the night)

It sits flush with the wrist and gains +1/2 secs per day so far.

Conclusion:

It is insane how D.Veith managed to manufacture a Watch this good at this low of a pricepoint.
There are no competitors that remotely come close to it, in terms of consistency, specs and finish.
It is literally the best watch you could ever buy under $100.00.
Which begs the question, how did this brand slip from the radar for so long?

TL;DR:

Pluses:

+Machining is good and consistent
+Lume is consistent throughout
+Dial is clean and passes the loupe test easily
+The Logo and brand is all right and even lends it character
+Lume is light on the eyes and lasts.
+ RMB 518 price-tag for a 28,800 bph ST-2130 diver
+Tight Screw-down crown
+100% aligned to the point of symmetry
+120 click lumed bezel
+Clearly manufactured with tighter tolerances (Would go diving w. it)

Minuses:
-Threads for the Screw-down crown are rough
-Both the bezel and crown visibly traps dead skin
-Lume is a tad weak
-Aluminium bezel that does not feel premium (A very minor gripe)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nice review.
I think I would have already bought one of these if it wasn't for the small date window.
IMHO, I think a clean dial would look so much better for this watch than that itty-bitty date window.
But I feel that way about a lot of watches.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Great review! Thanks for that

Could you share some knowledge on how you ordered from Taobao, and if it's not too much to ask a close-up on the dial with the top logo showing ?

Many thanks!

Creator of the Digi Watch widget: mougino.free.fr/digiwatch

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice review.
I think I would have already bought one of these if it wasn't for the small date window.
IMHO, I think a clean dial would look so much better for this watch than that itty-bitty date window.
But I feel that way about a lot of watches.
I do enjoy the subtley of a small date window.
Especially if it is at the 6 position

Personally I don't fancy a phantom date.

Great review! Thanks for that

Could you share some knowledge on how you ordered from Taobao, and if it's not too much to ask a close-up on the dial with the top logo showing ?

Many thanks!

Creator of the Digi Watch widget: mougino.free.fr/digiwatch
Here you go:-

IMG_20200309_231610.jpg
IMG_20200309_231610.jpg

As for how I ordered from Taobao?
I created a Taobao account, linked my credit card with Alipay and paid for consolidated shipping.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man.

i was debating between it and the orange colour option.
TB2adMObIUrBKNjSZPxXXX00pXa_!!907932025.jpg

But in the end, Yellow won out.

Digressing here but it was really too bad D.Veith did not release the 'Yeti' edition (White dial)

·
Registered
11,962 Posts
Cool watch. I dig it.

For the crown, have you tried the dental floss trick?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great review, Desk-bound! Thank you. I ordered one myself and cannot wait to receive it. One question though...you write that the strap is 22mm, their website (Hipsterofficial on Aliexpress) says it's 20mm. Could that have changed the last couple of months? I'm asking cos I'm already shopping for straps while impatiently waiting for the watch to arrive. :LOL:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great review, Desk-bound! Thank you. I ordered one myself and cannot wait to receive it. One question though...you write that the strap is 22mm, their website (Hipsterofficial on Aliexpress) says it's 20mm. Could that have changed the last couple of months? I'm asking cos I'm already shopping for straps while impatiently waiting for the watch to arrive. :LOL:
On the official site, it is 22mm.
I currently have it on a 22mm strap
That dropshipper (Hipster Official) have the wrong specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you very much! Could you maybe link me the official site, I couldn't find it. Thx again, saved me an annoying strap-swap. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shipping itself should be free of charge, the watch is currently 150-160 bucks on Ali. For a yellow "Captain-Willard-style turtle" with sapphire housing an ETA 2824 clone, I think that's a good price. Now as to the import fee, that's a gamble. All of my Chinese specials ordered from Ali were overlooked by the tax collectors so far but your worst case scenario should be around 50 dollars I think. Still a decent price for what you're getting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Shipping itself should be free of charge, the watch is currently 150-160 bucks on Ali. For a yellow "Captain-Willard-style turtle" with sapphire housing an ETA 2824 clone, I think that's a good price. Now as to the import fee, that's a gamble. All of my Chinese specials ordered from Ali were overlooked by the tax collectors so far but your worst case scenario should be around 50 dollars I think. Still a decent price for what you're getting.
Hipster officials price on AliExp is 180$. More than double the taobao price. I do not see any other sellers in AliExpress. I am looking for the same D.Veith watch yellow/orange.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts