• None of the above...

Votes: 3 6.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

currently trying to find the perfect birthday watch for my dad's 60th birthday. I would like to safe up over the next year or so and get him something special, an iconic watch that he can enjoy for a long time and one day hopefully pass down to me or my son :-!

He is very down to earth (it must be a solid and sturdy watch and it must be wearable, not too delicate and nothing too blingy) and he works in an office environment, I would like to get him an allrounder with white/silver dial that he can wear to work and to private functions.

I am sure he would appreciate a fine watch however he is not really a WIS.

I found the following 3 pieces would fit nicely and I would appreciate your opinion (poll) or alternative suggestions.

1) JLC Reverso Duo
pro: basically 2 watches in 1, iconic piece, seen it at an AD, looks stunning​
contra: maybe too dressy, apparently a scratch magnet, how durable is the leather strap (summer, sweat)

2) IWC Portuguese Chrono
pro: perfect allrounder, stunning watch, timeless classic design​
contra: does it matter that the movement is not inhouse or not worth worrying about??, leather strap (summer, sweat)​

3) Rolex Datejust
pro: solid built quality, iconic watch, very wearable at all occasions, steel bracelet​
contra: not sure if Rolex is his cup of tea, I mean I wear my Submariner pretty much every day but I am not sure how he would feel about it, it's basically the "best and most expensive watch" every non-WIS knows... I am sure you know the stigma associated with Rolex that I am referring to, not even talking about all the fakes.​

Thank you for reading and your input

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
If I was buying for myself - I'd go Reverso or Portuguese. But last year was my dad's 60th birthday and I got him DateJust II (two-tone). He wears it daily and loves it.
Yes, Rolex has an image - but as I explained to my dad it's a damn good watch and well-wishers will appreciated it, and haters - well screw haters.

If going with first 2 - don't worry about leather straps - unless your dad is working in a sauna, straps will be fine. I prefer IWC w old ETA movement - lower service costs and better size. Grande Reverso Duo is waiting for me once I sign a new job - great watch - two in one really.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
If he's truly a down to earth guy as you put it, the Reverso would be an odd fit as an all-arounder. Maybe the Portugeiser, more likely the Datejust (my vote given the options). But have you considered the IWC Portofino? I saw one in the wild a few days ago and it's the perfect combination of subdued class and timeless design.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Forget about Rolex Datejust. Nothing new about it . (no offense to Rolex datejust owners)

Go different and be different. Pick something fresh and new. I would recommend IWC portuguese chrono. It looks modern, clean and pretty sweet feature aswell. Easier to read and it makes you feel more welcome. I have two friends who owns it. They have no problem with it and they are very happy.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I voted for Datejust because I want one for myself. :)

My father doesn't wear a watch everyday so I won't buy him an automatic watch. He would have to set it every time the watch dies because he hasn't worn it for two days.
He has a Quartz watch and he is not into watches either.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Go for the DJ; any pre-conceived notion your father my have will fade away one the watch is on his wrist.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
the portugese chrono is quite large in person compared to the other two. You have to first decide if he would like a vintage inspired small dialed watch or a largish relatively modern watch with complications.

DOes he have any awareness on the other brands? Would he really appreciate a JLC or an IWC? My dad would go "you spent WHAT? on this???" for anything other than maybe a Rolex. ANd if I did indeed get him a Rolex, he would simply not wear it stating that he would be giving out the wrong impression.

So instead I went with an Ebel Classicwave cos he loved the bracelet, and loved the weight and balance of the watch and how slim it is, and he is happy that its a high quality swiss watch that looks great but doesnt give away any "uneccessary" impressions (to put it in his words)

So you really need to look into perception, brand recognition, style preferences and wearability. To me the three watches you have described fit in very different buckets. You may have to narrow down the requirements first.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Hi,

currently trying to find the perfect birthday watch for my dad's 60th birthday. I would like to safe up over the next year or so and get him something special, an iconic watch that he can enjoy for a long time and one day hopefully pass down to me or my son :-!

He is very down to earth (it must be a solid and sturdy watch and it must be wearable, not too delicate and nothing too blingy) and he works in an office environment, I would like to get him an allrounder with white/silver dial that he can wear to work and to private functions.

I am sure he would appreciate a fine watch however he is not really a WIS.

I found the following 3 pieces would fit nicely and I would appreciate your opinion (poll) or alternative suggestions.

1) JLC Reverso Duo
pro: basically 2 watches in 1, iconic piece, seen it at an AD, looks stunning​
contra: maybe too dressy, apparently a scratch magnet, how durable is the leather strap (summer, sweat)

2) IWC Portuguese Chrono
pro: perfect allrounder, stunning watch, timeless classic design​
contra: does it matter that the movement is not inhouse or not worth worrying about??, leather strap (summer, sweat)​

3) Rolex Datejust
pro: solid built quality, iconic watch, very wearable at all occasions, steel bracelet​
contra: not sure if Rolex is his cup of tea, I mean I wear my Submariner pretty much every day but I am not sure how he would feel about it, it's basically the "best and most expensive watch" every non-WIS knows... I am sure you know the stigma associated with Rolex that I am referring to, not even talking about all the fakes.​

Thank you for reading and your input
Well, my dad's Rolex DJ just a few months back "died" after about 40 years of his wearing it and never servicing it. Daddy's not "into" watches; he just had a Rolex because it's what Mother bought him as a gift all those years ago. It was his only watch. He "replaced" his DJ with a JLC Master Control and sent the DJ off to get it repaired. The only reason he picked the JLC MC is because I made him go to a store that doesn't sell inexpensive watches and he's got the money to afford whatever he saw that he liked best. I could as easily have sent him to Walmart and he'd have just as surely picked something and been quite content with it.

All the "stigma" stuff that some people might associate with a Rolex is 100% irrelevant to my dad. I'm sure he's not even aware there exist people who even think such things. I'm sure if your dad is like mine and just sees a watch as a thing to wear, he won't know about or care about if he does know of it. When one reaches a certain stage, or even age, that sort of thing just carries no weight at all. I "got over" that sort of thing sometime in my 20s. (I'm now closer to 60 than to 50.) I would think by 60 and after having raised a family, had a career, and done whatever else that he's amply proud of, etc., your father doesn't give a damn about that kind of thing just as mine doesn't. It'll just be something nice, nice looking and easy to own that he can use reliably to tell time.

I suspect that your non-watch-interested dad is much like mine in that ease of use and ease of ownership matters most to him. For my dad, "ease of ownership" means all he has to do is wake up and put it on, maybe adjust it when he notices it's off (that usually happened when Mother asked him what time it is and his answer was off based on what time she thought it should be), but otherwise leave it on until he goes to bed at the end of the day. Indeed, were I you, seeing as you hope he'll one day gift the watch to you, I'd focus first on whether he's keen to even bother with recurring service as opposed to just getting a new battery from time to time.

I know if it hadn't been for my insisting that Daddy have his Rolex fixed, he'd have tossed it in a drawer and that'd have been the end of it. Heck, over the years many were the times I implored him to have the watch serviced, but he always said that it was working just fine and so never did. I don't know how "fine" it was working. For all I know, it could have been losing/gaining several minutes a day. I just know whatever it was doing didn't bother him until it outright stopped working, and really that's all that mattered.

I guess what I'm saying is that no matter how "into" watches you are or what you'd like to see your dad wearing, first and foremost be aware that you're buying a gift for him, not a watch for yourself. Buy a watch that's consistent with how he's comfortable with and used to using a watch. If the man's used to wearing a quartz watch, buy him a very nice quartz watch if you want, but buy a quartz one.

I say that not only for your father's sake, but also based on my own experience. I bought a Reverso Duo for myself thinking it'd replace my Constellation as my daily wearer. Turns out that it didn't. It didn't because I'm used to wearing an automatic watch everyday and on multiple occasions, I forgot to wind the darn Duo and it stopped. The fact is I'm just not going to alter the way I live with a watch on a daily basis. Years ago, I might have, but I'm too old for that now. It's just not going to happen.

As for the three watches you suggested, I think any one of them would be fine, but re: the Reverso, I'd suggest you go with a Reverso Night and Day which is an automatic instead of the standard Duo (the one I got) that is manual. If your pop isn't used to messing with a chronograph, odds are he won't give a damn about the stopwatch functionality, so save your money if that's so. Depending on your dad's style an Ingy or Mark may even be a better choice, but certainly there's not thing wrong with an uncomplicated Portuguese, or Portofino for that matter.

As for the in-house thing, I can assure you that your "non-WIS" dad does not care and he will not care. If you bother to explain the concept to him, he'll say something like, "Oh. That's really nice." He'll say that so as not to hurt your feelings and to show some modicum of appreciation that you bothered to get him an in-house watch. He's your dad after all. Then he'll go on and wear the watch, not caring one bit about in-house.

Were I in you, I'd buy the Rolex DJ and be done, that is if buying a quartz watch isn't a better choice for my dad. A Rolex DJ is just so classic, so familiar and easy to relate to no matter what one thinks (or doesn't bother to think) about watches, it'll be the "right" watch no matter what outfit your dad dons on any given day, and it's easy to find someone to service/fix it if needed.

I wouldn't get my dad something "strange" unless I know he really wants exactly that watch. As a 60 year old, your dad probably will know that a Rolex is a very nice watch and he'll appreciate it accordingly. That's all that's needed. If your dad has made it through 60 years without developing an interest in watches, he certainly doesn't want to start one now, and certainly has no desire to be "schooled" by you on the watch you might give him that he's never heard of. Get the DJ and call it "Happy Birthday, Dad."

All the best.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went with "none". I'd probably get him recognized brand...Rolex or Omega. I'd have picked Rolex from above...I just don't care for the Datejust. The JLC is beautiful...I think too complicated -- he'd probably pick a face and never change it. The IWC, the dial is a bit too busy.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I chose the Rolex in your poll, not because it's what I would get, but it's because it seems the most appropriate from your description of what your father is like and what features you are looking for.

Additionally consider a Grand Seiko, if he'd prefer something not as noticeable but still very high quality, or an Omega Aqua Terra Quartz if he'd prefer something low maintenance.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
...and one day hopefully pass down to me...
which one do you see yourself wearing? :-d kidding aside, my dad hates "big" watches and for him my deepsea is unbearable, my sub is too big, so i got him a tank francaise and he wears it everywhere.... i think maybe the lack of muscle and thin skin makes older guys not able to stand heavy watches (that's just my weird way of making sense as to why my dad thinks a submariner is too big and heavy). has he hinted at size/weight he would prefer?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
As a 62 year old I offer the following;

JLC - great watch, and certyainly iconic. But does he care if the watch is "iconic". The Reverso's shape doesn't fit every wrist prefectly. Straps are easily replaceeble, but they last a while so not a big issue. The watch is fairly legible and my 62 year old eyes have no problem - but I've notice my dad and other70/80+ year old prefer legibility over nearly all else. I think it's a great watch but not the BEST option for your dad.

IWC - Another beauty - but, unless your dad really uses a chrono do you want to saddle him with that bill down the road? Also - the more 'parts' the more there is to go wrong, just a basic rule of mechanical things. Again, I doubt in-house matters to him. If so you would certainly have al;ready heard him on the subject.

DJ - Near perfect. Name recognition - c'mon, let's be totally honest here - the old guy will love telling people who comment on his watch something like " Oh , the Rolex. Yeah, my son gave it to me." Just being truthful.
Also, I like the 2 tone option the DJ gives - why? well - look at guys 10 years or older than your dad - they almost all have gold/gold tone/ 2 tone watches. I have conjectured several thing but looking at my dad and his buddies is like going to a Mr T look-a-like contest. Maybe it'll change in the next 10 years, maybe not - be a Boy Scout and Be Prepared.
Additionally, the darn things are durable. Between not noticing red lights, breaking hips, and having EMS people throw our arms around while doing CPR we bang our watches. A lot.
Still, I think you want to pick the watch carefully - the ubiquitous champagne dial with sticks is not legible. Get a good contrasting dial/hands/indices so he can see it for years. Remember - this is cataract age, even afetr lens implants good contrast is a boon.

However - although I voted DJ, my FIRST choice would be a Sub. Better viability, MUCH better lume.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The comment that your dad is "not really a WIS" is a little confusing. Does that mean he doesn't care about watches at all? If so, you might be looking for a gift that won't communicate how much you feel for him. If he knows enough about watches to value Rolexes--without concern about all the stereotyping and nonsense that is sometimes entertained here about Rolexes, then the DateJust is the choice. It's an iconic, attractive, watch with a great bracelet. If, however, your father would appreciate a more idiosyncratic, or unique, choice, I'd vote for the Reverso. Reversos can be dressed up or down, so I find them very flexible wearers. Frankly, I don't worry about scratches; and the leather straps they come with are excellent--but it is easy enough to find replacements.

If you think he'd appreciate the more adventurous choice, but you'd still like to keep some of the virtues of the DateJust, I'd look at the JLC Master Control Hometime. It can be had with a bracelet: though the bracelet is more blingy than the DateJust's. (I like the bracelet.) But it's a beautiful watch that will feel special to someone who has an interest in (though not an obsession with) beautiful watches.

IMG_0147.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
I voted Rolex DJ. IMHO, it's a great choice for a 60 year old non-WIS. first off, he'll know what it is vs the other contenders. Second, as much as I dislike the cyclops, it is friendly to aging eyes. I'd call it a perfect old man's watch, but 60 is looking less and less old to me.

My second choice would be the IWC. Also highly legible. I would not worry a bit about the movement not bing in house. No one other than a WIS cares, and the truth is if anything it'll be the most accurate and robust movement of the lot. My only negative with the IWC is it only comes on leather which is not as care free as a steel bracelet. On the flip side, of the three you mention, it is the only one I have on my short list.

I have nothing against JLC, but as cool as the two in one aspect is, a square watch isn't what most would choose as a primary wearer.

·
Premium Member
70,351 Posts
I'm staggering towards your dad's age and would just love it if my girls bought me another DJ. However, it IS my cup of tea and it's a heck of a lot of money to spend on a watch that your pop's not keen on. In second place comes the IWC but I remember reading that in some warm parts of Oz strap life could be as short as 1 year on a wrist that sweats a fair bit.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I vote for IWC Ingenieur or SINN Frankfurt if you are looking for sturdy however the weight may be a concern. Other dressier options Nomos or GO handdate. Personally I would choose the Grand Seiko SBGA125.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I voted JLC Reverso. I really like all three of your choices, but for pure class and versatility it is the one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts