Votes: 27 60.0%
  • None of the above...

Votes: 3 6.7%
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for all the fantastic input so far, it's definitely given me a lot of ideas and points to consider. One of the main aspects will probably be legibility, especially with increasing age since his eye sight is not the best.

Thats a beautiful watch jrb715 :-! and it's made me look into JLC's other range besides the Reverso.

I must say the JLC Master Control Date (silver dial) or the JLC Geophysic would - in my eyes - also be a very good option and very well suited to my dad.

JLC Master Control Date
pro: JLC is a great watch brand but more discreet compared to Rolex (he won't stick out like a sore thumb among his friends), beautiful simple elegant design
con: legibility? (Silver hands on silver dial, will have to check at my AD)

JLC Geophysic
pro: JLC with the perks mentioned above, beautiful simple elegant design, WR to 100m, shockproof, great legibility
con: expensive (around $10k as far as I have seen), no date function

Any input would be highly appreciated :)

The comment that your dad is "not really a WIS" is a little confusing. Does that mean he doesn't care about watches at all? If so, you might be looking for a gift that won't communicate how much you feel for him. If he knows enough about watches to value Rolexes--without concern about all the stereotyping and nonsense that is sometimes entertained here about Rolexes, then the DateJust is the choice. It's an iconic, attractive, watch with a great bracelet. If, however, your father would appreciate a more idiosyncratic, or unique, choice, I'd vote for the Reverso. Reversos can be dressed up or down, so I find them very flexible wearers. Frankly, I don't worry about scratches; and the leather straps they come with are excellent--but it is easy enough to find replacements.

If you think he'd appreciate the more adventurous choice, but you'd still like to keep some of the virtues of the DateJust, I'd look at the JLC Master Control Hometime. It can be had with a bracelet: though the bracelet is more blingy than the DateJust's. (I like the bracelet.) But it's a beautiful watch that will feel special to someone who has an interest in (though not an obsession with) beautiful watches.

View attachment 4359258

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thank you everyone for all the fantastic input so far, it's definitely given me a lot of ideas and points to consider. One of the main aspects will probably be legibility, especially with increasing age since his eye sight is not the best.

Thats a beautiful watch jrb715 :-! and it's made me look into JLC's other range besides the Reverso.

I must say the JLC Master Control Date (silver dial) or the JLC Geophysic would - in my eyes - also be a very good option and very well suited to my dad.

JLC Master Control Date
pro: JLC is a great watch brand but more discreet compared to Rolex (he won't stick out like a sore thumb among his friends), beautiful simple elegant design
con: legibility? (Silver hands on silver dial, will have to check at my AD)

JLC Geophysic
pro: JLC with the perks mentioned above, beautiful simple elegant design, WR to 100m, shockproof, great legibility
con: expensive (around $10k as far as I have seen), no date function

Any input would be highly appreciated :)
I am taken with numbers of JLC watches (I own two and have checked myself for the moment from owning a third.) I also own two Rolexes, including a DateJust; and I'll just say again briefly that the DateJust is a very fine watch that I think would make a great gift.

As to the two JLCs you've listed:

The Master Control Date is to my taste a simple, elegant and beautiful watch. Some folks, however, find it too simple and therefore a little bland. You'll have to see it for yourself to decide what you think. It doesn't photograph very well, but to my eye it is lovely: restrained and tasteful. But it also doesn't come with a bracelet, as the Hometime does. You can purchase the JLC bracelet for it, but the bracelet, by itself, is pricey and bumps up the price of the watch to the point that you might consider the Hometime. I do think the MC Date does look great on the strap with which it comes.
Here's a couple of photos off the web of the MC Date with the JLC strap:

ofygly.jpg 3993_Jaeger_LeCoultre_Master_Control_Automatic_SS__Silver__Leather_02.jpg
I own the Geophysic. It is my daily wearer. To me, it's simultaneously one of the most interesting and beautiful watches I know. But JLC made only 800 in stainless, and, from what I've read, it's getting hard to find. So either you or an AD might have to do some serious hunting to find one. It comes with a splendid Camille Fournet black alligator strap; and together the watch and strap look sensational. But I found--as have other owners--that this strap made the watch a little too dressy for the way I dress during the week. And, as others have, I had another, simpler, strap made for it.

I should add that the relatively conservative sizes of the JLCs might make them attractive to your father if he's not used to many of the larger contemporary watches.

Here's three photos of the Geophysic in different straps: the first is a quick iPhone photo I took of mine, the second is a photo I think I grabbed off of another forum, and the third a photo of the watch with the fine Camille Fournet strap.
IMG_0010.jpg

d057e1af86e668c6158773701b5a355d.jpg

C20735B4-6002-4C94-9BCA-A7767F6C5BE8_zpss6yyihaj.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
...JLC is a great watch brand but more discreet compared to Rolex (he won't stick out like a sore thumb among his friends)...
JLC would certainly be a terrific choice, but will it mean much to your dad? And does the Rolex really fit into the "sore thumb" category amongst his friends and co-workers? When spending this much money it is understandable that you'd be cautious about proceeding, but the consensus here among WIS and your original inclinations toward the DJ still looks like the best choice to make for someone who is not into watches. Based on what you said he will recognize the thought put into the gift of the Rolex without having to go into great detail on the value of another watch (JLC) he's probably never heard of.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
JLC would certainly be a terrific choice, but will it mean much to your dad? And does the Rolex really fit into the "sore thumb" category amongst his friends and co-workers? When spending this much money it is understandable that you'd be cautious about proceeding, but the consensus here among WIS and your original inclinations toward the DJ still looks like the best choice to make for someone who is not into watches. Based on what you said he will recognize the thought put into the gift of the Rolex without having to go into great detail on the value of another watch (JLC) he's probably never heard of.
Wearing a Rolex he could possibly "stick out like a sore thumb" as in none of his friends or other family members are wearing any expensive watches let alone a Rolex. I am sure he would love it and appreciate it though. It's nothing against Rolex at all, I think they make great watches. I am just not sure if a more discreet watch would suit his modest persona better than a Rolex. If I gave him a JLC and explained a little bit about the brand, I am sure he would appreciate it just as much as a Rolex (and probably start bragging in the pub after a pint or two....)

I have narrowed it down to a Rolex DJ or a JLC, possibly a Master Control. I will visit my AD and put the DJ next to a few JLC's and see which one screams loudest. :-! There is something about JLC that really appeals to me, I am sure the old man will be happy as Larry and love whichever one he gets :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That Geophysic sure is a stunning piece. I wasn't aware of the fact they only made 800 pieces. Will see what the AD has to offer on the weekend. I travel quite a bit for work, maybe I can manage to find one somewhere.

You are a lucky man jrb715! Enjoy it, it's a stunning watch!

I am taken with numbers of JLC watches (I own two and have restrained myself for the moment from owning a third.) I also own two Rolexes, including a DateJust; and I'll just say again briefly that the DateJust is a very fine watch that I think would make a great gift.

As to the two JLCs you've listed:

The Master Control Date is to my taste a simple, elegant and beautiful watch. Some folks, however, find it too simple and therefore a little bland. You'll have to see it for yourself to decide what you think. It doesn't photograph very well, but to my eye it is lovely: restrained and tasteful. But it also doesn't come with a bracelet, as the Hometime does. You can purchase the JLC bracelet for it, but the bracelet, by itself, is pricey and bumps up the price of the watch to the point that you might consider the Hometime. I do think the MC Date does look great on the strap with which it comes.
Here's a couple of photos off the web of the MC Date with the JLC strap:

View attachment 4363530 View attachment 4363546
I own the Geophysic. It is my daily wearer. To me, it's simultaneously one of the most interesting and beautiful watches I know. But JLC made only 800 in stainless, and, from what I've read, it's getting hard to find. So either you or an AD might have to do some serious hunting to find one. It comes with a splendid Camille Fournet black alligator strap; and together the watch and strap look sensational. But I found--as have other owners--that this strap made the watch a little too dressy for the way I dress during the week. And, as others have, I had another, simpler, strap made for it.

I should add that the relatively restrained sizes of the JLCs might make them attractive to your father if he's not used to many of the larger contemporary watches.

Here's three photos of the Geophysic in different straps: the first is a quick iPhone photo I took of mine, the second is a photo I think I grabbed off of another forum, and the third a photo of the watch with the fine Camille Fournet strap.
View attachment 4363418

View attachment 4363394

View attachment 4363370

·
Premium Member
5,522 Posts
As you can see opinions are all over the place. Despite how nice they are if I was given a Reverso it would go straight in the dresser drawer never to be worn.

Take your dad to lunch and then take him watch shopping. A watch is a personal thing and the chances of you getting him the perfect watch are almost nil. Let him choose it.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
As you can see opinions are all over the place. Despite how nice they are if I was given a Reverso it would go straight in the dresser drawer never to be worn.

Take your dad to lunch and then take him watch shopping. A watch is a personal thing and the chances of you getting him the perfect watch are almost nil. Let him choose it.
Great advice. Otherwise you may be buying a watch that suits your preferences, not his. Use your WIS-dom to steer him in the right direction, but let him pick.

Reactions: Quartersawn
21 - 27 of 27 Posts