WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd drop in from the Suunto/ABC/G-Shock forums to ask a diving question.

I've read more than once about lost dive watches and wondered a) how you come to lose a dive watch/computer and b) how often you divers find one when you dive?

Cheers.

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Just thought I'd drop in from the Suunto/ABC/G-Shock forums to ask a diving question.

I've read more than once about lost dive watches and wondered a) how you come to lose a dive watch/computer and b) how often you divers find one when you dive?

Cheers.
I've never lost one but in most cases, unless it was carelessly dropped, it would come from a strap or bracelet failure. Springbars and buckles are the most vulnerable.

In all the hundreds of dives that I've made, I've never found a watch or computer. I know some have been found while diving, but it seems pretty rare.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,594 Posts
Ty covered the reason for losing a dive-watch. Spring-bars are cheap, so I replace them before each dive trip. As far as finding a divewatch...........I never have. However, I have found:

--Car-keys
--Diving weights
--A couple dollar bills floating through the water
--A dive light (it was switched off. A good reason to ALWAYS have your dive-light on when entering the water--Unless you dive with a light like Ty's)
--A kids tonka truck
--A lock-back pocketknife (only slightly rusted)
--Tons of just plain garbage (really sad to find this in the ocean :-()

This is just the stuff that I have found that comes to mind. I am sure that I am leaving some stuff out. I have never found a lost dive watch. I am keeping my eyes open for a Blancpain 50 Fathoms :-d

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, if either of you guys are in the vicinity of a nice little reef about 300 yards or so SE of "Stingray City" off the north shore of Grand Cayman, BOLO for a gorgeous sterling silver ring adorned with Celtic knots. Lost it in about 20 feet of water as I was heading back to the dive boat. Although I saw a grouper head straight for it, it slipped into the tiniest crevase. I chose to lose the ring rather than damage the coral trying to extricate it...

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,594 Posts
Well, if either of you guys are in the vicinity of a nice little reef about 300 yards or so SE of "Stingray City" off the north shore of Grand Cayman, BOLO for a gorgeous sterling silver ring adorned with Celtic knots. Lost it in about 20 feet of water as I was heading back to the dive boat. Although I saw a grouper head straight for it, it slipped into the tiniest crevase. I chose to lose the ring rather than damage the coral trying to extricate it...
And you are a good man for leaving the coral pristine.:-!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actually, a good woman, but thanks for appreciating my appreciation of the environment ;-)

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,594 Posts
Actually, a good woman, but thanks for appreciating my appreciation of the environment ;-)
Please excuse my ignorant and insensitive assumption. :oops: Also, let me welcome you to WUS. I looked back through your posts, and have noticed that you weren't properly welcomed. SO...........WELCOME!!! Please stick around, we value female opinions because there aren't too many females that frequent these boards.

Nashvegas..........Nashville TN??:think::think:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. I only joined the boards last month, but have been lurking since last year. I am constantly amazed at the vast amounts of knowledge that can be gleaned from spending time around here.
Here's my quick story: have loved watches since I was a little girl but went through a period of about 20 years where watches wouldn't run on me. Expensive, cheap, automatic, quartz... didn't matter. Just as quickly as my "condition" arrived, it bid sayonara (thank goodness!) and now I have lots of lost time to make up for. Love 'em all, but dive watches are my fave, so you'll probably see me around here mostly.
And yes... "Nashvegas" is mine and my friends' throwaway nickname for Nashville. Despite the glitz and glamor of the music biz and the ever expanding skyline, we're still just a little ol' southern town where you can drive 30 minutes in any direction and see cows.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
things I have seen/found

dinner plates (these must have fallen overboard/were thrown...a part of me wishes I took one just to see if it was old/relevant historically)
cordless phone (not a cell phone, a cordless phone...there were no houses near by)
anchors
dive light
weight belt

I'm still looking for that gold rolex whenever I dive...lol.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
divers, please keep letting us know what interesting and weird stuff you found on the floor of the sea! :-!

this si gonna get interesting!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I once found a Uwatec Alladin Pro on a ledge in 25 feet of water.....the pins were fine but the rubber strap was torn where it would cinch at the buckle. I posted my find on the local Scuba boards but no one answered to claim it so I sent it to Uwatec for service (it had an error prompt as it was probably waaaay past the NDLs and it cost me only 30.00 for a battery change and a nitrox computer.) I know of many people who use a Nato band because if 1 pin gives way you won't lose your watch or computer. Also I see a trend of divers who drill a hole through a lug on thier computer, independant of the pin hole and string a safety lanyard through it. (I wouldn't do that to my Watches though so a Nato band is the way to go) I regularly find dive knives(minus sheath), lights, fins (usually just 1), weights and belt or weight pocket, a Pony tank and regulator, Masks and snorkels, and I even found a camera and strobe once (Flooded and useless).

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Never and never.

I did however find a very large and expensive women's engagement ring. I was walking down a pier with diving gear and a young married Couple was standing on the edge of the wharf and she was crying because she had dropped her ring into the harbor. I was a poor college student in commercial diving school and we were returning from an ocean training exercise. My friends all had empty tanks but I had a few hundred psi left. I told the couple that the water was dirty in the harbor and the bottom was silty so chances were slim on locating it but I would give it a shot. I went in and slowly descended to find the ring laying right where I dropped down. I was excited to have found it for them and was hoping for lunch or maybe a beer in return for recovering what was surely a multi $1000 ring. They snatched it up and walked away to their Mercedes without even saying thanks. I kind of wish I had also found a speargun.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Never and never.

I did however find a very large and expensive women's engagement ring. I was walking down a pier with diving gear and a young married Couple was standing on the edge of the wharf and she was crying because she had dropped her ring into the harbor. I was a poor college student in commercial diving school and we were returning from an ocean training exercise. My friends all had empty tanks but I had a few hundred psi left. I told the couple that the water was dirty in the harbor and the bottom was silty so chances were slim on locating it but I would give it a shot. I went in and slowly descended to find the ring laying right where I dropped down. I was excited to have found it for them and was hoping for lunch or maybe a beer in return for recovering what was surely a multi $1000 ring. They snatched it up and walked away to their Mercedes without even saying thanks. I kind of wish I had also found a speargun.
Wow, that stinks! If it were me and my wife, I surely wopuld have bought you dinner. Sometimes people truly amaze me with their lack of common decency or politeness.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,594 Posts
<snip>...... I kind of wish I had also found a speargun.
That is funny. I really got a chuckle with that one.:-d

I once found a Uwatec Alladin Pro on a ledge in 25 feet of water.....the pins were fine but the rubber strap was torn where it would cinch at the buckle. I posted my find on the local Scuba boards but no one answered to claim it so I sent it to Uwatec for service (it had an error prompt as it was probably waaaay past the NDLs and it cost me only 30.00 for a battery change and a nitrox computer.) I know of many people who use a Nato band because if 1 pin gives way you won't lose your watch or computer. Also I see a trend of divers who drill a hole through a lug on thier computer, independant of the pin hole and string a safety lanyard through it. (I wouldn't do that to my Watches though so a Nato band is the way to go) I regularly find dive knives(minus sheath), lights, fins (usually just 1), weights and belt or weight pocket, a Pony tank and regulator, Masks and snorkels, and I even found a camera and strobe once (Flooded and useless).
Sounds as if I need to go diving where you dive. A treasure trove of dive gear out there:p

I was thinking a bit more and I also have found:

Golf balls
Screw drivers
Used car tires.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm loving these replies, everyone - thanks for all your input and keep 'em coming!

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
I dive in areas where there's a high level of deep sea/bottom fishing, so lead weights, leaders, hooks, jigs, etc. are fairly common. Fouled anchors with cut ropes are pretty common, as well as diving weights.

The oddest was an unopened jar of Pace Picante sauce which obviously feel from someone's boat while anchored for lunch. I popped the top, and the fish loved it.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,594 Posts
<snip>..........The oddest was an unopened jar of Pace Picante sauce which obviously feel from someone's boat while anchored for lunch. I popped the top, and the fish loved it.
That is probably one of the strangest ones I have heard.:think::-!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Welcome

1 - 20 of 21 Posts