WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think between the Dagaz Thunderbolt and the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical Officer (H69419933)? What is the better value? I like the heritage and Swiss manufacture of the ETA based Hamilton, but the well respected Miyota is no slouch either. Water resistance on the Dagaz is great and the automatic is a plus over the hand winding Hamilton.

DSC_4215_zps55514096.jpg hamilton-khaki-field-mechanical-men_s-watch-h69419933.jpg
(pictures borrowed from the internet)

Dagaz Thunderbolt:
Price: $375 (but on sale now for $285)
150M Water Resistance
Bead Blasted Case
CASE WIDTH- 39mm
CASE WIDTH- INCLUDING CROWN- 43mm
LUG-LUG DISTANCE (TIP TO TIP)- 46.5mm
TOTAL THICKNESS- INCLUDING DOMED CRYSTAL- 12.1mm
LUG WIDTH- 20mm
DRILLED THROUGH LUG-HOLES FOR EASY STRAP CHANGE
CROWN- SCREW DOWN, TRIPLE-SEALED, SIGNED
Sapphire
AR Coated Underside of glass
Miyota 9015 - Automatic - 28,800 bph
H-Link Bracelet

Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical Officer (H69419933)
Price: $240
50M Water Resistance
Bead Blasted Case
CASE WIDTH- 38mm
LUG-LUG DISTANCE (TIP TO TIP)- 47.5mm
TOTAL THICKNESS- INCLUDING DOMED CRYSTAL- 9.5mm
LUG WIDTH- 20mm
DRILLED THROUGH LUG-HOLES FOR EASY STRAP CHANGE
CROWN- SIGNED
Sapphire
ETA 2804-2 - Hand Wind - 28,800 bph
Canvas Strap

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have owned both in past and would go with the Thunderbolt. Tough watch, legible, screw-down crown, an overall bargain in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have owned both in past and would go with the Thunderbolt. Tough watch, legible, screw-down crown, an overall bargain in my opinion.
Thanks tsteph12. Did you end up flipping the Thunderbolt? If so, what was the reason?

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
I bought the Thunderbolt. Trustworthy WR, domed crystal, swoopy lugs and crown guard. I bought two straps with the watch and it lives on the nice bracelet (even though it looks really good on the straps.) My watchmaker took a look at it and remarked that if it was Swiss, it'd sell for twice what I paid. And, it's on sale, for way less than I paid.

Need a picture?
thunderbolt12f.jpg

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the Thunderbolt. Trustworthy WR, domed crystal, swoopy lugs and crown guard. I bought two straps with the watch and it lives on the nice bracelet (even though it looks really good on the straps.) My watchmaker took a look at it and remarked that if it was Swiss, it'd sell for twice what I paid. And, it's on sale, for way less than I paid.

Need a picture?
View attachment 11115226
Thanks Ten-Ten! Leaning towards the Thunderbolt so far.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Myself would rather have the Hamilton. Seems like the Thunderbolt is better quality but I think the Hamilton just looks like a great everyday casual watch. I am biased thou the Hamilton is on my want list.

Reactions: Ottski44

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
To me the Hamilton by a mile. Not only does it have heritage but the hand wind is really cool in a field style watch, doesn't have a triangle at 12 (pet peeve) and has nice hands. Plus it's less money and just to me a way better value

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My vote goes to the Thunderbolt. I chose it previously because of the specs and attractive pricing. The price is even more attractive now.

Eventually I sold it though, as it wears a little small on my 7.5" wrist. The curvature of the caseback also makes the lugs ride higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
The dial on the Hamilton kills the dagaz in my book, way better proportions, finer looking, etc. The dagaz dial looks like a kid drew the marks with a crayon, imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I have the thunderbolt and the handwind hamilton field variant on a bracelet. Perhaps my hamilton is larger too, can't check now. Fyi the hamilton would not be screwdown, doesn t make sense in a handwind, that is an error in the spec you copied from.
Both are ok. The dagaz is understated yet still special on the wrist. I even wore it on a suit during a business trip. Reasonable lume. Good quality /price esp at the sale price.
The hamilton feels more retro / classic than the dagaz which has a crisp modern feel - a damasko without the price. This difference is important for your selection. Hamilton would look a bit more chic than dagaz on a nice leather strap.
I have the impression that my hamilton is more accurate but that may be a sample variation.
The Dagaz will wear a little smaller.
The handset of the dagaz is peculiar vs the hamilton.
If i would do it again choosing one I think I would buy the dagaz but not sure...
But in fact both have been displaced by my mkii hawkinge which admittedly at double the price is a perfectionist compact military style watch.

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
The Dagaz is more closely related to the A-dial flieger watches (with the exception of the crown guards, the braclet and the "swoopy" lugs). Triangle at 12, sword hands, bold and contrasty.
e.g.,

The Hamilton is much more of a "field" watch, with the 24 hour scale, a hand cranker, and slightly, um, "daintier" hands?
Compare:
Vintage: Vietnam War Era U.S. Military Field Watches | The Time Bum

I like both, but they have a different look and feel. I feel like the "field" watch is a bit more versatile (even if it was supposed to be more tactical originally). But a flieger dial has its benefits, and the dagaz has better specs for a "beater."

Before the sale, I'd say the Hammy was a better value, but at very similar price points, and with the addition of a nice bracelet, they're probably equivalent.

Really, it's just a matter of which one you like better.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the thunderbolt and the handwind hamilton field variant on a bracelet. Perhaps my hamilton is larger too, can't check now. Fyi the hamilton would not be screwdown, doesn t make sense in a handwind, that is an error in the spec you copied from.
Both are ok. The dagaz is understated yet still special on the wrist. I even wore it on a suit during a business trip. Reasonable lume. Good quality /price esp at the sale price.
The hamilton feels more retro / classic than the dagaz which has a crisp modern feel - a damasko without the price. This difference is important for your selection. Hamilton would look a bit more chic than dagaz on a nice leather strap.
I have the impression that my hamilton is more accurate but that may be a sample variation.
The Dagaz will wear a little smaller.
The handset of the dagaz is peculiar vs the hamilton.
If i would do it again choosing one I think I would buy the dagaz but not sure...
But in fact both have been displaced by my mkii hawkinge which admittedly at double the price is a perfectionist compact military style watch.
Thanks for your thoughts. I fixed the specs above.

I really like both styles. And am having a difficult time deciding considering they both have similarities (size, finishing, bph) and differences (face, hands, origin, etc.). I don't really have a 'style' so to speak. I'm in slacks and a button up M-F and shorts and a t-shirt on weekends chasing after kids and working around the house.

Other pieces in my collection (maybe listing them help me decide):
Seiko SKX007
Seiko SKX007
Omega Aqua Terra - Blue 41.5MM
Vostok Amphibia - 710 case blue scuba dude
Orient Symphony - White
Casio MDV106
Tissot PRS200 - Blue/old style 39mm case

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What started this whole smaller case obsession was my love for the Sinn556i. That would be what I really want, but the best price I could find was about $900 delivered from Europe.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, I love and have owned the SNK809, but the 43mm L2L was tough to get used to. I regret flipping it most days because I could have kept it around for my son and think that maybe I would've gotten used to it as my tastes are changing.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
i like both watches, just feel like 39mm is too small. tried on a SNK and it was just too small for my huge wrists

1 - 20 of 48 Posts