WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
Justs thought about it
How much does your daily beater cost? or to be more preciess how much will you pay for a daily beater? a one that you are going to take to most extrem like GYM,Golf,Army and so on
?
:roll:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I'm not so concerned with the price - within reason of course. I'd prefer that whatever watch I wear as a beater can take whatever beating I subject it to. I've had many fine watches (Rolex, Omega, Ulysse Nardin, Kobold, TAG) and have never babied any of them. I am now down to one watch - my Kobold SEAL - and it gets beat up daily and doesn't give up, ever. FWIW, it runs +2 per day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not so concerned with the price - within reason of course. I'd prefer that whatever watch I wear as a beater can take whatever beating I subject it to. I've had many fine watches (Rolex, Omega, Ulysse Nardin, Kobold, TAG) and have never babied any of them. I am now down to one watch - my Kobold SEAL - and it gets beat up daily and doesn't give up, ever. FWIW, it runs +2 per day.

I think Scott has it right. If it is your daily it should be one you don't think too much about when wearing it regardless of price. Some baby their more expensive watches, others are comfortable putting it through it's paces. In that respect you would expect your sport watch to be able to take the abuse.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Life is too short to wear a watch every day that the owner thinks is cheap. What are you saving up to be? I only wear watches I feel are nice. Here's my usual daily beater:

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
My other thought is, I understand taking care of your watches and all, but part of me also winces when your watch is safe queened after you've spent thousands of dollars. Unless it's a pure collecting thing for you or that watch, wear it! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agonized over this very question for months. Once I decided that I wanted a really nice automatic, I had to decide between getting a less expensive beater watch or the one I really wanted, an Omega Seamaster.

In the end I decided that life is too short to wait to get what you really want. Plus if I spent $500 on the Blackwater MMT I was looking at, and then later I got the Omega, I would have ended up spending more than if I just bought the Omega now.

I got the Omega and I am not babying it. I wear it everyday. I wrote a little bit about my decision here: http://caferacer99.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html

I changed my mind after I wrote that and I got the Bond watch instead.

Steve

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah sure life is short
But
Isn't it more nice to have a "less epxnsive" watch daily, and then save the best of evening or "dress" ?
I am not saying not to get the "grail" watch, but do you really want to use it daily and then destroy it?

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah sure life is short
But
Isn't it more nice to have a "less epxnsive" watch daily, and then save the best of evening or "dress" ?
I am not saying not to get the "grail" watch, but do you really want to use it daily and then destroy it?
I never care about less expensive / grail / expensive. I wear the watch I am in the mood to wear - doesn´t matter if it it a Rolex, Glashütte, Breitling, Cartier or one of my vintage watches ( http://www.watch.pics.ms )

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think everyone makes good points here, again in the end it's comfort level.

For me I'm not hesitant to wear my Rolex vs. say my Seiko, but of course if I know I will have rough day I go with my less dressy piece.

On another point, it is nice to find that inexpensive watch you enjoy wearing purely for what it is, in this sense I think it's great when one finds a watch they truly like without considering the value of the watch. :)

As someone says around here, "Wear your watch in good health!" :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like things are wrapping up here, but just wanted to toss in my two cents.

For me, a daily beater is a relative thing. As for what watch I wear on a daily basis, it's strictly according to mood, as well as my plans.

On the other hand, I do have days where my body, clothes and watch are going to be subjected to much more extreme punishment than other days. Example: not too terribly long ago, it fell to me to put a new roof on an outbuilding that a friend and I had constructed. Between swinging a hammer, handling asphalt shingles, and squirting roofing sealant around, there was no way I was going to wear a watch I really liked (or even a tee-shirt that I really liked!). So I dug up my old pre-WIS Timex and went to work. Simply put, it would have broken my heart to find a huge scratch or a big blob of roof sealant on one of the watches I really like, so out came the non-descript cheapie that I still had around.

I don't do that most days, so it's generally back to whatever feels comfortable for the situation.

Nice thread!

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it is wired for me as a watch lover to see some people wearing their Rolex or Breitling or what ever that cost them so much for GYM,Golf and so on
I mean, why do someone want to even have a chance to ruin such a watch?!
o|

S

·
0 Posts
I think it is wired for me as a watch lover to see some people wearing their Rolex or Breitling or what ever that cost them so much for GYM,Golf and so on
I mean, why do someone want to even have a chance to ruin such a watch?!
o|
What are you going to say ? Don´t go sleeping with your Rolex on your wrist , there´s a chance to flop out of the bed and to ruin your watch ? A wrist watch is a watch to wear and not made to lay in the drawer.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are you going to say ? Don´t go sleeping with your Rolex on your wrist , there´s a chance to flop out of the bed and to ruin your watch ? A wrist watch is a watch to wear and not made to lay in the drawer.
Yeah I know it sound silly to some guys here, but this is my point of view only :think:

I am not saying not to wear the watch or so
But, why use it for things that can probably ruin it?
I think that going to GYM can do fine with a nice 50$ G-shock or something like this
Why do you want to wear a 5000$+ watch for GYM?! o|
any way
anyone can do what he want, It is just my opinion:)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
...Why do you want to wear a 5000$+ watch for GYM?! o|
Why care if a watch owner likes to wear their nice watches all the time, even when golfing or camping? IMHO, it's theirs, they bought it, they get to use it the way they like. If it pleases the owner, that's all that counts.

To my watches, I'm :gold, they have to do exactly as I please, or I get rid of 'em.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why care if a watch owner likes to wear their nice watches all the time, even when golfing or camping? IMHO, it's theirs, they bought it, they get to use it the way they like. If it pleases the owner, that's all that counts.

To my watches, I'm :gold, they have to do exactly as I please, or I get rid of 'em.
Ok so I guess each one of us has different point of view.
I love using my watches and won't buy a watch just to put it on the drawer
but still I won't use a watch I am afraid to ruin on the Army for example, I prefer having a watch for each kind of occupation, a dress one for the evening and something more "cheap" for daily use:)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My daily beaters consist mainly of my Seiko 5s. The least paid was $120... I have 2 of them I rotate. I work in a construction setting and regularly play with backhoes, excavators, bull dozers.. etc. I also work in the shop.... exposed to welding, grease, lots of metal work.. etc. There is no way in hell youd catch me wearing my nicer watches in that kind of setting. Heck.. if I know Im going to spend most my day on equipment or in the shop, instead of my normal service dept position, Ill even throw on my crappy ole Fossil or Armitron.

Now.. if I was a desk jockey (no offense to those that are) in a not so harsh environment I would have no problem wearing my nicer watches daily. Sometimes I wish I could.. instead I reserve them for weekends and special occasions.

Then again.. all of this is subjective to what you can afford. If I made big $$$$$$ I may wear a high end watch regardless of the conditions.. probably not knowing myself.. but you get my point.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts