WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the brightest question, but I keep seeing people post the term and wonder if there's an accepted standard understanding of what this term really means.

Does this mean people wearing their watches during physical activity or does it just mean to wear the watch on a daily basis?
Does wearing the watch to the office constitute a beater situation?

Just wondering, I figure most people who wear a nice watch regularly would just take it off when undertaking activities that could result in damaging the watch.

On the flip side, simply wearing a watch can cause damage due to accidental bumps and the buttons on a long sleeve shirt.

Mike

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
For me it's a watch I can wear and not worry if I'm doing something that might damage one of my more treasured ones. A G-Shock comes to mind, or maybe an old Nautica I have around here.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I bought a few watches to do any kind of work that could be risky, thinking that it would get scratched, dinged and all, but yet, none of them are beat up. I'm simply not a watch beater and all my supposedly beaters are still unbeaten.

I need something so ugly that I would not care for it, but then I do not want to wear something so ugly o|

This concept doesn't work for me, and i'm trying...:-d

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
What he said... For me, the "daily beater" go-to watch changes occasionally and it's a watch that feels comfortable; that I don't mind if it gets knocked around; that is reliable; and has a comfy broken-in strap. Here's my current daily beater:

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I try to take care of all my watches, but we all know that the occasional dent and ding is inevitable if the watch is to be worn regularly. I think beaters don't necessarily have to look beaten-up.

I'd define a beater as a reliable watch that can be used without fear of scratching, denting, or otherwise damaging the watch. My daily beater is my Seiko Spork -- which is coincidentally my favorite watch.

Still, I baby the watch, but when I accidentally bump it against the doorknob, which happens often, I don't cry over it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
For me it's about when I would take the watch off. My new "office watch" (a 36mm Seiko 5) would come off if I were planning on seriously sweating, getting wet, using tools, etc. My "daily watch" (a MKII Sea Fighter) would only come off if I were going to use a sledgehammer, climb rocks and possibly grind the face on them, run, etc. My "beater" (a GW-5000) doesn't come off no matter what I'm doing. I'd wear it under work gloves, climbing, jumping off things, running, etc. I'd happily enter a fistfight without worrying about it. It gets worn the least of all my watches. I don't beat like I used to.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Honestly, I think it has little to do with durability. For most, i think this term has evolved into meaning the watch you find yourself reaching for most often in the morning.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
i can understand the confusion as it appears that two terms have been conflated; there's the daily wear and the beater. viewing them as distinct entities it becomes much easier to divine their meanings.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My Sumo is my daily wear to work, but I have a Gshock DW5600 that I wear for more physical activities. I'm still fairly easy on it. Some guys seem to purposefully beat their watches though. Guess they like the look.

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
My daily watch is a Omega Planet Ocean and I don't consider it a beater. I put on a G-Shock or a inexpensive quartz when I'm working in the yard or on the car or any other super manly activities.

I don't understand the point of having a watch you hardly ever wear.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Its a watch that you do not mind accumulating some wear and tear with normal usage. Some people get a kick out of telling others that their beaters are expensive watches. But what I have found is that what constitutes as a disposable watch is different to each person.

·
Registered
783 Posts
i can understand the confusion as it appears that two terms have been conflated; there's the daily wear and the beater. viewing them as distinct entities it becomes much easier to divine their meanings.
Agree. The watches I wear daily are not necessarily beaters. My Invicta diver is a beater as I do yard work and other physical activities with it such as actually swimming. My others are not. If the Invicta gets scratched or damaged, its not a big deal. To me, beater or not, any watch worth wearing is worth taking care of. I'm just not losing sleep if something in the "beater" category gets dinged up.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I worked for many years in a food processing facility where I had to remove all jewelry if I were going into the production areas. My watch was regularly taken off and tossed into a desk drawer, then retrieved later. I didn't want an expensive or delicate watch in that situation so I usually had some sort of quartz "beater" like my Nautica or a (now deceased) Bulova Caravelle.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've got two daily beaters:

At home, when I'm doing any physical work around the house or out in the yard, I grab my Casio Tough Solar.

At work, when I'm in the field at the rig, I've got my Wenger Swiss Army Grenadier on a Timex Velcro Strap. It has taken quite a beating in the last couple of years, and it still goes and still takes a beating.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
For me, a Daily Beater does not exist. A watch I can wear every day - those are all of my Modern watches.
A Beater is something I know will take a little bit abuse, or is cheap enough to be replaced without me having to ask my wife.
The T-touch and the Sinn's fall in his category

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
For me a daily beater is a watch I can wear anywhere... and not worry about it getting wet/knocked/bashed/etc.

For years it was a Casio MTG, nowadays it's an EcoDrive Diver.

·
Registered
691 Posts
For me it is the watch that I feel the most comfortable wearing. Usually its the newest one, but sometimes its also that one that just clicks with you when you wear it. I'm a flipper, so for me, it tends to change rather often. :)

Transmission sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
for me, a beater is a watch that i don't mind going home without.

G-Shocks and entry level Seiko divers that might get destroyed without making me want to cry.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts