WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting a watch I'd feel good about roughing around the house in with my toddler. Love my G shocks but want an analog option. Here are my criteria:

Quartz
38mm to 40mm in size. More precisely, prefer 51mm or less lug to lug.
Works well (or preferably comes already on) rubber, bracelet, or cloth. Love leather straps, but not best for hot summers here. I sadly don't like NATO straps though.
Easy to read with preferably arabic numerals, either like a field watch (preferred), pilot watch, or 3-6-9-12 dial. Flexible here. Just easy to read mainly.
Sapphire preferred, but mineral crystal could be OK.
Easy to read date. I'm one of the types that, for whatever reason, needs the date to keeping slapping me in the face all day. I don't want a cyclops but I want an easy-to-read date.

I already have a Momentum Atlas that I like in this role, but I just somehow want something different. The date's just a *bit* small for me and I think I'd like a different dial.

Recently got a no-date Scurfa Diver One. I love it. Thinking of getting a date version of it for this watch. That's one contender already. Also considering the Bernhardt Field Diver and one of the Hemel quartz field watches.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Out of production, but worth hunting down would be a Wenger Commando XL (40mm, don't be scared of the 'XL' branding.)

There are a few of the old Commandos series out there still on sale/new old stock that you'll see sometimes, but mostly the 'funky' models and the chronos.

opplanet-wenger-commdaydate-70164.jpg

That's the model I have in mind and it's definitely something you'd have to track down used/new old stock. I owned one that was stolen so I had to use a pic from the Internet. It has a slightly domed sapphire coated mineral crystal and day-date, and in general it punched above its class ($150-200 when new) and a cut above entry Wenger stuff you might see today. I currently own a non-numeral version:

wenger_commando_xl_black.jpg
(Just to get an idea of the range; I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for.

If you're willing to go up to 41mm, the Commando series has been replaced by the Attitude series:

https://www.wenger.ch/us/en/Products/Watches/Mens-Watches/Attitude/p/01.0341.107

That's one version. I like those OK, but they lose the Day-Date of the previous Commandos and that's a selling point to me.

In a similar ~40.5mm size class, I'd actually recommend the Timex "Waterbury" line. I'm not a huge fan of the cheaper Timexes, but the Waterburys are a cut above. I don't think this one needs a ton of introduction, and these come in a lot of color variants. If you like them, you can often find really good deals. (This blue one was on closeout, but I paid a great price and you can still find them. Other colors are in current production.) The only 'gotchas' are that the lume is not great but it has Indiglo and the crystal is (boxed) mineral. The leather straps on these are worth pointing out as being specifically much better than most Timexes, and even arguably better than most watches in their price class.

0404180833c_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Proliant

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
bathys5jan.JPG

Gonna have to find a used one, though. Currently out of stock.
I think Victorinox make a few big dates, too.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
38mm quartz Flieger Type-B with easy to read date, on canvas strap.

You can rough it up all you want it's only $5 on ali express.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Carnival Tritium watch, readable anytime, glows great at night. Day and Date, there are date only models available. Comes on a pretty nice quality steel strap.
You have choice of green or blue tritium. I prefer the green.

carn.jpg

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Ashford has HAMILTON Men's Khaki Field Quartz Watch H68311533 for $149. Coupon "DMFIELD139" takes it down to $139. Don't know how long it will last. It is a little small at 33mm.

H68311533_FXA.jpg

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone. As usual in topics like this, my head is spinning from an abundance of great suggestions. All great, with most of them being absolutely right on. I'll be sorting through them - decision will probably depend on my feelings the hour I act on it - that many perfect calls here.

Other option, and this will probably be a post in the Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club, is to not get one at all. I have an Archimede Outdoor Protect for an outstanding automatic watch for this. I have G Shocks for quartz watches that I don't have to worry about abusing at all. Do I really need a quartz analog field watch to cover the in between ground? Sad thing is if I was leaning towards that, this topic is making it harder.

My top picks from the list above (disclaimer: I like ALL of them):
The Junkers might be perfect - that date is EXACTLY what I wanted. Same for the Bathys, but I doubt I could easily track it down.
Still strongly considering the blue/yellow Scurfa. Wanted a watch with splash of yellow and like my existing one. I already know I love it, and the price is right.
That Hamilton ticks a lot of the boxes, and the current Ashford price is amazing. I'm just afraid at that size, the date would be the same size as my Atlas. Dang, it's tempting, though.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
No bracelet (though I'm a bracelet guy) and no date. But this inexpensive field watch is one of my favourite grab and go quartz watch, besides my Scurfa.

IMG_6666-01.jpeg

Fellman Superstition with sapphire crystal and screw-on crown. No lume though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks to everyone. As usual in topics like this, my head is spinning from an abundance of great suggestions. All great, with most of them being absolutely right on. I'll be sorting through them - decision will probably depend on my feelings the hour I act on it - that many perfect calls here.

Other option, and this will probably be a post in the Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club, is to not get one at all. I have an Archimede Outdoor Protect for an outstanding automatic watch for this. I have G Shocks for quartz watches that I don't have to worry about abusing at all. Do I really need a quartz analog field watch to cover the in between ground? Sad thing is if I was leaning towards that, this topic is making it harder.

My top picks from the list above (disclaimer: I like ALL of them):
The Junkers might be perfect - that date is EXACTLY what I wanted. Same for the Bathys, but I doubt I could easily track it down.
Still strongly considering the blue/yellow Scurfa. Wanted a watch with splash of yellow and like my existing one. I already know I love it, and the price is right.
That Hamilton ticks a lot of the boxes, and the current Ashford price is amazing. I'm just afraid at that size, the date would be the same size as my Atlas. Dang, it's tempting, though.
The Archimede is hardened, right? Are you worried about banging it up or is there a different reason you're looking for a new watch?

What else could you/would you do with the money you're thinking of spending on this new quartz watch?

I was looking for a watch similar to what you've described and ended up getting a citizen promaster BM6401-58E. I thought it'd fill a gap in my collection, but apart from the first few weeks I've barely worn it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I know they don't feature arabic numbers, but have you considered Mondaine?
Very easy to read, simple designs.
They have the EvoBig at 40mm with a nice large date window.

There is the A627.30303.11SBM which comes with a metal bracelet
s-l500.jpg

OR, also in that collection is the A627.30303.61SBB, which is 20% off the $125 sale price at Touch of Modern. So plenty of savings to replace the leather strap.
A627.30303.61SBB_C.jpg
https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/mondaine-5afc02b4-57fe-42df-86f0-1e65e05d772f/mondaine-quartz-a627-30303-61sbb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts