WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening -

The past few days I’ve been looking around for trying to come up with ideas for a watch I can wear while traveling and working instead of my Speedmaster all the time.

I really like the SBDC051/SPB051, but don’t really want to spend much more than $500. I’ve seen a few posts saying people have picked them up for about $400. I’m not seeing them anywhere close to that.

I found a Turtle in the forum that had been modified by Watchmakers4 that I think looks pretty cool, but I’ve got some reservations based on the size and it being a quite a bit more expensive than any used Turtle I can find. I can probably find a turtle around here to try on and judge size. I really think the pricing might be throwing me off because I’m just too inexperienced to judge whether or not it’s a good deal.

The next logical step was to look for the Watchmakers4 website. I found it but can’t seem to figure out how to find pricing or even if he’s got anything up for sale or he just modifies watches for people. Google takes me to his Instagram. I don’t have an account but he’s got some pretty awesome watches in the pics I can see.

I don’t think I’m looking for anything crazy. I think a diver in the 40mm to 42.5mm-ish with sapphire glass and a coin edge bezel under $500. Seems like maybe that turtle or something like an SKX from Watchmakers4 might be the way to go. Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any insight on how to navigate getting a watch from WM4?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m guessing this is the wrong place to post or one of those things that’s been covered exhaustively...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been wearing my beater SKX007 for about 14 years now, with the original bracelet and clasp. While I'll take it off if I'm working in tight spaces, it doesn't get any special treatment. Still, aside from a few scratches on the bezel and clasp, it looks remarkably good.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
An SKX will serve you well. Picked mine up as a rough wear/gym watch...but quickly became my daily wearer. Tough, comfy and good looking on any strap.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: Daily/rough wear options & Where to buy modified watches

The SKX suggestions are good. They're tough and will last a lifetime. You might also want to look into the Citizen NY0040 line. They're also tough and trumps the SKX by having the ability to be handwinded. They're also known to be more accurate. However, they seem to be discontinued although there are sellers still if you look around.

Sent from Tapatalk.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like SKX might be the way to go. Guess I’ll start looking around to see if I can find one. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any trusted/fav places to look for an SKX? Is it worthwhile to look at 2nd hand?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds like SKX might be the way to go. Guess I’ll start looking around to see if I can find one. Thanks everyone!

Not to pitch longislandwatch, but the guy that owns it Marc, just posted a video not to long ago. He's got modded 007/009 for sale. One has a super oyster, the other a jubilee. Both come with sapphire. Everything else is stock. I think pricing was just around $400.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts