WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Budget is around $15,000. I am looking for a daily wear on rubber but in a traditional size. Diameter of 39-40mm is set, which is what one of the major limiting factors. Height wise, I am looking for sub 10mm but would settle for sub 12mm if needed. I am very set on not going over 40mm even if it is 41mm. I've bought too many watches I liked the design of only to flip it because I eventually admit it is too big for me.

The only watches that I can find meeting those criteria are Patek Aquanaut (which I am in the process of saving up for) and the Breguet Marine big date (although I like it, I don't love the dial design). The only knock against the Aquanaut (besides the price) is the large bezel that is prone to scratches over time.

Are there any other alternatives to the Aquanaut line beside the Breguet? AP ROO diver are too big at 42, VC OS is too big at 42 and 41 for the new design. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything else before I pull the trigger in the coming months. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
431 Posts
In that price range , you could choose from many watches and add a rubber strap. I--for one--am partial to Breguet. The Aquanaut does nada for me.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want a rubber fitted to the case. This leaves out aftermarket except for Rolex with rubber b or Everest. Also want a deployant clasp which is rarely found on aftermarket.

Hublot isn't to my taste but too big anyways.
Omega has rubber straps on some models but I already have an Aqua Terra, so I would like to try another brand.
GO diver isn't quite to my taste but I think it is 42mm anyways.
I have searched quite a bit but can't seem to find any other watch on rubber with my specifications. If that's the case I will probably end up with an aquanaut in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
514 Posts
The yachmaster in everrose is what sprang to mind (yes, it is substatively above your stated price). But that strap is really, really good fitting from the couple times I've tried.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that suggestion! I have seen that in person before but forgot about it. I do like it a lot but not sure if rose gold is a bit too much for a youngster like myself. But I will have to keep it in the back of my mind for sure.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Why restrict yourself to watches that come on rubber when high quality aftermarket ones are available?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe I already stated my reasoning. If you know of aftermarket rubber that does not leave space between the case and strap with a good deployant clasp, please do share.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I want a rubber fitted to the case. This leaves out aftermarket except for Rolex with rubber b or Everest. Also want a deployant clasp which is rarely found on aftermarket.

Hublot isn't to my taste but too big anyways.
Omega has rubber straps on some models but I already have an Aqua Terra, so I would like to try another brand.
GO diver isn't quite to my taste but I think it is 42mm anyways.
I have searched quite a bit but can't seem to find any other watch on rubber with my specifications. If that's the case I will probably end up with an aquanaut in a few months.

Then why not any of a number of Rolexes with a rubber B or Everest strap?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then why not any of a number of Rolexes with a rubber B or Everest strap?
I like the Aquanaut quite a bit more than the Rolexes with a Rubber B. Also, Rolex on Everest just doesn't look right in my eyes. Are the lugs larger on the non OEM rubber models? Maybe it's because it is thicker? The SubC is the only one I like on rubber also. I saw pictures of a datejust with fluted bezel on Everest and it just looked wrong to me. IOKDC6V.jpg

3Ki6xie.jpg
RubberB_6.jpg
fe145870c23605e241b2b212a4c5c1a3.jpg
Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-Yacht-Master-In-18k-Everose-Gold-Wristshot.jpg

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually didn't realize they made a 38mm. I will take a look. Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 38mm classic fusion Hublot got my attention, especially with the black magic model. Ceramic case and carbon fiber dial look pretty good. After a little digging, it seems like it has a sellita with date added. At this price point, that is quite a put off for me.

The everose will have to wait as I want a more under the radar watch. I rather the average person think I have a $10 watch on to be honest.

So it looks like this is a very limited market segment. I'll start looking for a suitable Aquanaut then. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything before pulling the trigger on what will probably be my last purchase for a very long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glashuette Original Seventies Panorama Date is 40mm x 11.5mm and there's a rubber strap variant.

I share your frustration as I, too, would like to see more classically sized sport watches on the market. Unfortunately most manufactures equate rubber with sportiness, and sportiness with large cases. You're probably not going to get much closer than the Aquanaut.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Significantly below the upper limit of your budget, but a Cartier Santos M, perhaps? Looks great on the wrist, lots of history and looks great.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That GO looks almost too dressy to be on a rubber. It is a good looking watch though.

The Cartier design just isn't me. Never been a huge fan of Roman numerals. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Aquanaut is still looking like the top contender. It's good to find out more about what is out there though!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have you considered the Calibre de Cartier diver?

cartier_image.3845008.jpg

Or the IWC Aquatimer?

IWC-Aquatimer-Automatic-Watches-22.jpg

Not my pics obviously.

Or save up for the PP if that is what your heart is set on anyway.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Cartier diver with Roman numeral doesn't quite jive with me. I think that's the same reason I don't love the breguet marine. That aquatimer was my grail for a while until I saw it in person. The dial and hands look like plastic when I saw it. I was quite disappointed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Cartier diver with Roman numeral doesn't quite jive with me. I think that's the same reason I don't love the breguet marine. That aquatimer was my grail for a while until I saw it in person. The dial and hands look like plastic when I saw it. I was quite disappointed.

Then (assuming you have also looked at Panerai) you have basically looked at all the watches I considered before getting my Blancpain Bathyscaphe. Of course, the rubberized sailcloth strap isn't fitted to the dial on that one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts