WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What watch do i buy?

• Parnis pilot watch off ebay or other place Best to buy?

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Vostok Amphibia or Vostok Komandirskie

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Other brand if so what and where do i find it?

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am looking for a low cost wing up watch that keeps good time i like to stay under 75 if i can. I am waiting for a Hamilton khaki windup "Gf is buying me one for Christmas" But I need a watch for school and work in the mean time I saw the Vostok Komandirskie and Vostok Amphibia but after watching a youtube video on the crown popping up and it looks like it well fall part or break easily to me. Am I wrong on this? I just want a reliable time keeper that well serve me well I dislike auto as the counter weight feel very strange to me when wearing one. So a hand wind is a must I like it to keep with in 15 sec a day if i could so i would only have to set in every other day or so to the atomic clock I like a hacking model but not a deal breaker. The pilot watch with the brand name Parnis look's are really nice and simple that what i want if i can but I don't know anything about Parnis watches Or really any brand. It does not mater strap as I am putting on a leather strap anyways what do you have for the poor college student. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Vostok would be an excellent choice. Great, durable watches. As far as I know, the wobbly crown was actually designed that way. There is a write up in the Russian sub-forum about Vostoks. You should check it out. I would go for a Vostok.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Vostok Amphibia is actually an automatic + manual winding watch. I would recommend it prior Komandirskie, due to the stainless steel case and 200M WR. About the crown and more design specifics of Amphibia, you can read this article. The charisma of the Amphibia is the history. It is actually the same watch build for more than 30 years, issues for so many purposes and served millions of people - from villagers to kosmonauts.
The Parnis you show looks pretty good, but my reservation for Parnis is that it isn't actually a watch brand (especially compared to Vostok). There are many brands from China, which are mostly trade-mark and outsource completely the building of the watches to some of the bigger Chinese watch factories. Very often man can not make parallel between the models, as they could come from completely different locations. As you see it is more generalization and this can be a fantastic watch, but who knows...

·
Registered
194 Posts
On a tight budget like that, you really can't go wrong with a Vostok. Don't worry about the durability of the crown - like the others said, it is designed that way, it won't fall off. The crown is a little more vague than, say a Seiko or the Hamilton you'll be getting - the detents for winding and setting the time are a little harder to find, but I wouldn't let that scare you off from one - they are built really tough, and every time I pick mine up, it starts ticking right away (the auto Amphibia), no matter how long it has been sitting.

Read up about them in the Russian forum. You pretty much have to set aside a couple of bucks for a strap - a rubber one or a nato would work - since the stock bracelet is pretty flimsy. You also have to like how they look - they are a bit...um 'unique'. And depending on where you buy it, you might have to wait a week or two to get over from Russia.

The Parnis is cool, too - I like the IWC look, and it is definitely the classier option, but the Vostok will be tough and sturdy

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Other options are possibly HMT or Seagull (NOS or pre-owned on ebay for example), but this is another vote for the Komandirskie |>

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
When I first bought my Vostok Komandirskie (for $25 way back when), I thought it was broken when I got it because of the wobbly crown. That's when I found WatchUSeek and the Russian forum. I discovered I got a great, inexpensive watch with considerable history. I have had it 2005 and it runs just fine.

If the Vostok wobbly crown concerns you (it's actually a very clever design), check into HMT. They are an Indian watch brand, also made the same way for years, that have their own charm. The Pilot model may look crude with it's hand painted number 12 but I think that is cool, no two will be exactly the same. It is powered by a hand winding Citizen designed movement manufactured in Indian facilities.

If you would prefer something more dressy go with the Janata model.

Mine is the Hindi script dial, there is also an Art Deco style dial that is very cool. All are readily available on eBay.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I got a great vintage Shanghai on ebay for $25. The strap it came on was trash so I put it on a $40 Hirsch Modena.

Easily looks about 5 times more expensive than it was.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I got a great vintage Shanghai on ebay for $25. The strap it came on was trash so I put it on a $40 Hirsch Modena.

Easily looks about 5 times more expensive than it was.
I have a Shanghai, a basic one with ZSH CSM which I bought new in the late 1990s, before collectors started to get interested in them in a big way. It was - and still is - temperamental but I guess with a suitable service it would turn out well. The problem is that vintage and supposedly "NOS" Chinese classics can be a very dicey prospect for a novice, as you cannot easily authenticate them.

Being aware of the Parnis situation, I guess it's a bit of a no-brainer: go Vostok.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Being aware of the Parnis situation, I guess it's a bit of a no-brainer: go Vostok.
I have to agree, even though I threw out the Shanghai. I don't have my Vostok anymore, but it was a nice watch, particularly for the money.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Any suggestions with a look similar to the Seiko military but a little bigger? I really like its looks and it being an automatic, but 37mm is too small for me. Anyone knows a similar auto/handwind design in 39-42mm? Preferrably below 100$....

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Any suggestions with a look similar to the Seiko military but a little bigger? I really like its looks and it being an automatic, but 37mm is too small for me. Anyone knows a similar auto/handwind design in 39-42mm? Preferrably below 100$....
The Orient Mako is has a diver's bezel, but very similar sword hands to the Seiko 5. It is pretty much the bets sub-$100 mechanical watch out there.
Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

However, it won't wear all that big. Take a look at some of the other ~$100 watches from Orient; you won't get better quality for the money.

The problem with most sources for the Parnis are that they are in China, and it will take two-to-three weeks for it to get to you. By then, you getting a lot closer to Christmas. If you can wear the size, though, hard to come up with a better option.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Don;t really like the design of that Mako: the button above the crown bugs me. Besides it's a nice Sub homage, but I'm more looking for something similar to the Military (pilot?) look of that Seiko 5, but slightly bigger..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don;t really like the design of that Mako: the button above the crown bugs me. Besides it's a nice Sub homage, but I'm more looking for something similar to the Military (pilot?) look of that Seiko 5, but slightly bigger..
There's the SNZG series, available in khaki (SNZG07), green (SNZG09), blue (SNZG11) or black (SNZG15).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts