WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forums and have become a big fan of german watches, particularly the Damasko DC56. I was interested in hearing feedback on how durable the anti-reflective coating is, and also hearing opinions of having the coating applied just to the inside (which can be special ordered)?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
359 Posts
Indeed there are huge differences in the quality of the AR coating ... Damasko, with which I talked about that last week, use a superhardened AR coating that they say is nearly as scratchproof as the case (the coating alone! not the sapphire crystal...). It is said to withstand a beadblast... (Crusader)
This is an old quote but still serves its purpose. I suggest you have on both sides.

john

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
In sapphire I trust.
I ordered my 57 with it only on the inside.
I don't think the look would have been as cool on the white dial anyway and while probably not likely, why risk scratching the AR coating?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,
I noticed you have the DC56 with the hands from the DC66. Did you special order it that way, and if you did was there an upcharge?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Mine has 3 scratches at least on the AR coating and I haven't worn the watch all that much. I should have gotten AR on the inside only but I didn't want to wait even longer than I already had to. So much for being able to bead blast it...yeah RIGHT!

Now, I have no idea how these scratches got there but I wear my watches everywhere including my knifemaking workshop. I don't baby them too much but I was wearing long sleeves during the fall and it still got scratched. I will note that my Sinn U1 also has AR on the outside of the crystal and has been worn extensively in the shop, even without long sleeves. Not a scratch on it. And the U1 has seen the inside of a blast cabinet which the DA-36 has not!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
BTW, just wanted to add that the Damasko is a FANTASTIC watch in every other way. I think it is much nicer than my Sinn 656 for instance. I really really like the watch just not at all happy about the crystal.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Not wanting to jinx Peter's good luck with his U1, but I think we've all seen posts about the AR coating on those being scratched as well!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Got my 56 since Jun04 and the outside AR coating shows no scratches whatsover (at least to the naked eye).

Just my experience though.

See AR coating in action here ... (pic taken few days ago).

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Mine still looks good as new. I have owned a Sinn U1 and UX and I much prefer the Damasko AR. The Damasko AR does not smudge anywhere near as much as the Sinn's. I also find the AR on the DC66 is better than the AR was on my DA36.

·
Registered
359 Posts
John,
I noticed you have the DC56 with the hands from the DC66. Did you special order it that way, and if you did was there an upcharge?

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, it was ordered specially and it was at no extra cost. The minute hand is half a mm longer but it posed no problem. I no longer have this watch.

I've had 3 Damasko with AR on both sides and haven't seen marking on any of them.

john

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who responded,
I decided to go ahead and order one yesterday. Anders at Gnomon e-mailed me to say he had received a shipment and I could get it right away (which is very appealing since they seem to be hard to get!). He had the stock version (with the coating on both sides) and I decided since I tend to baby my watches I feel comfortable it will work out well.

Steve

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Congratulations Steve!
Damasko's are outstanding watches.
Let us know your thoughts when you get it!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congratulations. You won't regret it.

Thanks to everyone who responded,
I decided to go ahead and order one yesterday. Anders at Gnomon e-mailed me to say he had received a shipment and I could get it right away (which is very appealing since they seem to be hard to get!). He had the stock version (with the coating on both sides) and I decided since I tend to baby my watches I feel comfortable it will work out well.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts