WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good solid week of obessessing and killing valuable time on the net researching, I have reduced my choices for a 1st German watch to the following above. I wanted a nice pilot looking watch but with a 7 inch wrist I wasnt going to go anything larger than 43 mm and even that for me seems on the larger end of things. I recently bought a Ball Fireman II (green accents) which I love BUT its larger than what I am used to - a culture shock for me. In anycase, I want a clean looking watch but with some German heritage/history or at least a heritage of quality and something kind of unique if that is even possible these days. I read Mike's report on Damasko and I must admit he has me thinking now- perhaps more seriously than I ever did on Damasko.

I understand that the DA-46 total diameter including Bezel is 41.80 mm (otherwise a perfect size for me) What I want to know is how large the crystal diameter is? I have a Rolex Submariner which is close to 40 mm diameter incl. bezel but the crystal diameter is no more than 34 mm making the watch appear small. This is important for me.

The Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II measures 40 mm accross and a crystal width of 35 mm which is acceptable - and I slim 10 mm in height makes this watch rather elegant looking that can be worn both sporty and for more dressy occassions. It has very clean and simple- understated look which for me makes this watch all the more appealing.

The Damasko, on the other hand, is sporty, rugged- yet simple, and filled with interesting innovation making the watch appear cheap for what is being offered. I must admit I was more ignorant about watches or perhaps lacked alot of knowledge about how they are made and what powers them. This last week has been enlightening to say the least. I realize now that the movements are pretty much the same ETA 2824 to name one that are found in dozens of mid and even high end watches yet the prices seem to be all over the map. Hence the power and importance of brand marketing and some differentiation giving each manufacturer a reason to increase price most of which I consider unwarranted!

I own many watches including: Rolex Submariner, Baume and Mercier Chrno Auto, Baume & Mercier quartz tank, Ball Fireman II (green accents), Oris Williams F1, and an Omega Constellation, to name a few. I ask myself now what makes one better than the other or perhaps what makes one pricier than the other not to mention better in terms of quality? Forget style- that is personal in nature. Being a finance person, I gravitate to what I can duly measure in terms of quality. My view is that if you cant measure it you cant possibly objectively value its abilities! For a watch, we go back to how its made, materials, technology, accuracy, and measure its intended purpose i.e. divers watch have different tolerances than other watches ...etc .... ! You get the idea here. Nontheless, these point are just some of what I consider when now looking at a watch - a stark contrast from before when if a watch looked good, was a reputable brand, I simply bought it... Not now!

So I go back to my question or perhaps my dilemma: Damasko or Muhle and why, style playing no role in my decision- at least not for the moment. Both watches are comparitively priced at $1475 DA-46 and $1290 for the Muhle.

Any thoughts...?

Many thanks,

Ballman

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ballman,
The crystal diameter on the DA46/DA47 is just on 32.5mm.

There is no case ring between the crystal and the bezel and with the dial being so uncluttered it has the effect
of making the dial look slightly larger than it is.

regards,
George

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,037 Posts
Hello,

Decisions, decisions ...

First, I think we should review the size numbers.
Starting with the DA36, the dial is 32.5mm. The crystal is about 1mm larger.
The MG watches tend to have wider bezels. Looking at the images I think the
Terrasport II dial and crystal are slightly smaller than the DA36. I expect the
two watches will look the same size. The 35 mm number may apply to the
44mm Terrasport I, which has a wider bezel. Subjectively, the DA36 dial does
not look small to me.

All ETA 2824-2 movements were not created equal. Damasko uses Top grade.
I expect MG does also, though watches with display backs may start from
Elabore grade.

The DA36 is the watch I wear most often. The tool steel case is not showing
any marks.

A direct comparison between the DA36 and the Terrasport II seems most
appropriate. So the Damasko price would be a little lower. However, if I
were in your position I might choose the DA46 over the DA36, as you seem
to.

I think direct observation would be the best way to judge size and satisfaction.
Unfortunately, most of us don't get to do that. WatchMann is about an hour
south of Detroit. While I think he does not operate a store front, he is friendly
and will show you the Damasko watches. It seems a long shot. Do you ever
get to the Detroit or Toledo areas?

Good luck. I look forward to seeing photos of your choice.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any chance of pictures please?!

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
The crystal diameter of the DA 46 is > Rolex Submariner. The bezel of the DA 46 is smaller. Complete different look. If it comes down to Damasko DA 46 vs. Mühle Terrasport II the Damasko is the better tool watch with better technichal specs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Okay. As a guy who has had neither of these watches, I am going to go out on a limb and say the Damasko hands down. No question. No issue. Done. Why? 1) The Damasko is the toughest watch out there. The quality of the case is such that it will wear better than any watch you own. 2) As you say, there are various amazing innovations in the creation of this watch that you won't find in any other. 3) Style wise I think Damasko watches have a look that is singular and gorgeous. (Can you tell that I am saving money to buy a Damasko?) The Muhle is a essentially a flieger variant of the type you can find anywhere. If you want a Flieger, buy one from Stowa or Laco, two of the five original producers of fligers for the Luftwaffe, or from Archimede or Steinhart, two excellent smaller shops who make Fliegers that are cheaper by half than the one you are contemplating from Muhle, but not lesser by half in quality. Just one guys opinion. I don't normally write such emphatic posts, but this to me is such a clear-cut choice.

Reactions: BlakeA

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, I realize now that both are two different watches ....Damasko is more rugged- sounds bullet proof, the Muhle is clean - I suppose a different look all together. What turns me off about the Damasko is size. Isnt the Damasko DA 36 diameter smaller than the Buhle Terrasport II ?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I prefer the unique-ness of the Damasko. The Muhle looks like every other Fleiger.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Considering both: Damasko DA-36 (blue dial) and Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II (Blk dail)

Well given that I cant make up my mind, I am considering the purchase of "both watches", like them both very much. One is more rugged, solid, sharp yet simple (Damasko) filled with interesting technology while the Muhle is simply understated and what I consider elegant! I recently sold two of watches in my collection- Baume & Mercier Steel Chrono 37.5 mm (1991 vintage) and my Oris Williams F1 which I grew to dislike over the three yrs I had this watch. I am excited about both watches although I must admit for the price of both + a few dollars I could probably purchase an IWC Mark xvi which would be a nice addition but then again - I like the two German's ....I will pull the trigger next week and will think about it some more over the weekend. Thank you for all your invaluable input! It looks like I will end up purchasing both watches. Now would you expect a watch fanatic to do anything less? If only my wife knew ...boy she would kill me. ;-) Cheers, Ballman

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,037 Posts
Re: Considering both: Damasko DA-36 (blue dial) and Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II (Blk dai

Hello,

I understand. Still, I would buy only one watch at first, and
wear it for a while to see how I like it. As noted in another
thread the DA36 has a flat black dial.

The mark xvi looks all right, but it has a 39mm case. I think
that size fits my taste, but I prefer the DA36. I might like
the DA46 even better. I haven't held one.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: Considering both: Damasko DA-36 (blue dial) and Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II (Blk dai

There is so much to like about the Damasko:

The case is beautiful and extremely tough - it also wears very omfortably
The craftsmanship is exceptional
The yellow second hand is striking :)
The German day wheel is a nice option
The face is extremely clear and legible

I think it is one of the best Damasko watches available in value terms, I like the DK10 as well though :)

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts

There is no blue dial DA 36.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts