WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been drooling over the 656 for a year or so. But just go a chance to handle the DA36. Two really good watches and I want them both. Which is not going to happen. On paper I like the DA36 but for the looks the 656 wins.

Could you all give me some direction in deciding what to buy. This will be a watch I wear alot.

Assume I can get a 656 cheaper than a DA36. Is the chromometer rating, hardened case, and AR coating on the DA36 going to be worth the extra money?

Is there something I'm missing that someone could point out to help me make my choice?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Hi Brian.
For me it's the Damasko, no contest.
I love mine :)
+1 second a day since out of the box in April, without fail.
Looks as new as the day I got it with a LOT of wrist time.
Personally I think it's much better looking than the 656.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
IMO, Damasko wins hands down. My DA36 was the most accurate mechanical watch I have ever owned. (1 second fast every 24 hours) The Damasko steel is a thing of beauty, tough and no marks on it after a good amount of wear. The Day/Date is a nice useful tool. The Damasko is one of the nicest sub-$1000 watches you can buy. I would have kept mine but I traded up to a Damasko DC66. :-!

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
i would pick the da36. like the other damasko owners, mine's runs very accurately...a little less than +1 sec per day, about +5 secs every 7 days.

the 656 is a good watch too, but i think the damasko is better.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
I have a slightly different take on this.

For me, the 656 is one of the rare watches that can be both a dress and a tool watch; the DA36 is a throrough-bred tool watch.

Having said that, € for €, the DA36/37 is the better deal. But the versatility of the 656 is greater. I use my 656 for formal wear, and can get away with it. :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have both the 656 and the DA36, and I have to agree with Crusader. to be honest The 656 is more versatile (and can be had with a bracelet), despite the fact that the DA36 has a better spec for the money. Mind you, I regard both as definite keepers! :-!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I also own both watches and I agree that the 656 has a great looking dial and design wise I think I slightly prefer it. But like the others have said, the Damasko is unbelievably accurate and much tougher case. Plus the yellow sweep is just so cool. I would go for the Damasko over the 656 any day of the week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it looks like the DA36 is a killer buy as a funtional watch.

But I think I should just trust my gut and go with the 656. I think the versatilality does it. It's design is going to beat that extra the DA36 offers in features and price.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
One's gut is usually right Brian.
I'm sure you'll love your 656 and please stop back with your impressions!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
You know who has a 656 for sale.... :) Brian, I didn't look closely at the name when I first saw this thread. LOL!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Brian, check out the Archimede pilot watches. I just picked up a 42mm white dial one direct from Germany but the black is also really nice. ETA 2824, see through back, classic Fleiger dial, sapphire crystal, gorgeous crown, really nice watch and the price is half that of the Sinn. So far mine is running spot on for accuracy.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Brian, they also come in 39mm. I think after you see the 42 though, you might change your mind.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
I would like to point out that the Archimede, nice as it is, does not have the antimagnetic and secure-crystal-seating specs of the 656 and DA36. :)

I think the dual-use 656 will eventually complement the DA46 (with the bezel)as a pure toolwatch very nicely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.