WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I purchased a DA37 from the Sales Corner forum here a few weeks ago and am generally liking the watch, especially immediately after going from outdoors to indoors on a sunny day. Unfortunately, I noticed today that there is a black speck near the center of the dial which was not there previously.
IMG_2938b.jpg IMG_2938c.jpg IMG_2949b.jpg IMG_2951b.jpg
I have tried to shake the watch to hopefully displace it to a less conspicuous spot, but it does not move, I guess maybe due to the lume. After looking at the rest of the dial, I see a tiny black flake/flash in the center (minute hand?). This watch is out of warranty. Should I worry about this condition functionally? (i.e. indication that something is scraping?) Is it easy to open the watch and pick out the specks?

First post. Please be gentle. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That does look like the paint is splitting off from the hand(s) and landed on the dial. That shouldn't be happening, is it?

My Damasko once had a speck of dust on the dial and lint logged between the dial and the case, my local watchmaker remove them in 5 minutes, he didn't even charge me. Seems like an easy job.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I don't think it'd hurt anything since it's on the dial side, but get it fixed asap anyway, as it will drive you insane.

·
Premium Member
34,661 Posts
I don't think it'd hurt anything since it's on the dial side, but get it fixed asap anyway, as it will drive you insane.
Absolutely!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think you should have the hands replaced, the speck is an easy fix but I'm not sure about the condition of the hands. I can see there are at least two tiny paint bits from the second hand ready to disintegrated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. One speck is a bit annoying, but if more comes off the hands, I'll get it taken care of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange thing happen earlier in the week. I must have place my watch face down and the speck dislodged off the lumen an onto the inner surface of the crystal and held still by static. One strategic tap and the speck is now right of the 3 o'clock and "stuck" between the inside surface of the crystal and the front of the inside wall. It is now not noticeable unless some looks at it from less than 6 inches away.

So I guess I will make a note for watch repair person when I it get it serviced. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The surface of the dial covered in lume material is porus and uneven with many microscopics crevices and texture. The sharp edged paint speck will find it a great foothold to stay lodged. It seems the overnight hanging upside down was too much for the speck and he dropped off the cliff to the glass. You have moved it to 3 o clock. All good.

My suggestion would be to get it cleaned out sooner rather than later since it could quite as easily travel onto (and hopefully not, into) the date/day window. I am not sure how strong this speck is but I would not want a headache of a speck travelling into the mechanics of the watch and getting ground up in the gears or worse locking / jamming them up.

As a go forward, my concern would also be that if these hands will be shedding more specks of paint or this was just an abberation. For that, I would write to Damasko and ask. This would also be a good feedback for them.

You indeed are much stronger than me - I would be all wound up. Good Luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good input ahkeelt. Should always let the mfr know so they can log the complaint. If the rate is high enough, it may trigger a change/improvement in future watches. Anyway, the speck has fallen off the side wall as you have anticipated. It is now next to the 12 o'clock triangle. I have emailed Watchmann....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
At least keeps the watch a bit interesting - I would assume you spend a few minutes each morning 'finding the darn speck'. ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts