WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Damasko will be re-releasing the DA44 or DA45? I was about to purchase one but ended up with a different German brand. Now, I can't seem to find anything similar to the DA45 that would work for an every day, mostly indestructible watch. I love this bezel and prefer a white dial.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Does anyone know if Damasko will be re-releasing the DA44 or DA45? I was about to purchase one but ended up with a different German brand. Now, I can't seem to find anything similar to the DA45 that would work for an every day, mostly indestructible watch. I love this bezel and prefer a white dial.
Keep an eye on their IG page. As far as I have seen there has not been a specific notice about it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,597 Posts
I think nobody knows, only Damasko knows. Damasko isn‘t/wasn’t very forthcoming in the last two years. They improved their social media competence as far as IG and FB are concerned but there are almost no news. That being said, I doubt you will see a re-release of the icehardened DA 4x, what you might see in the time to come is a DK4x, maybe only with surface hardened submarine steel cases. Just my two centavos.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think nobody knows, only Damasko knows. Damasko isn‘t/wasn’t very forthcoming in the last two years. They improved their social media competence as far as IG and FB are concerned but there are almost no news. That being said, I doubt you will see a re-release of the icehardened DA 4x, what you might see in the time to come is a DK4x, maybe only with surface hardened submarine steel cases. Just my two centavos.
I saw a post that said the ice hardened wasn't phased out on FB, but I think you might be right Mike.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ice-hardened steel is what made Damasko’s name. Why would Damasko phase out the very thing that built its reputation?

Yes, I know, Damasko has numerous proprietary technologies and submarine steel. But ice-hardened steel is its biggest selling point.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I saw the post about rust, but it was the bracelet, not the watch case. I’ve never had a problem. My ice-hardened Damasko has been fine for the swimming pool.

All alloys are a trade off, and I’m happy to avoid using my ice-hardened Damasko in salt water – in return for a scratch-proof case that’s nickel-free.

Also, even stainless steel can, eventually, rust (it’s happened to me). Perhaps the answer is hardened titanium: scratch resistant, nickel-free and inherently rust proof.

·
Registered
88 Posts

do you suppose they'll get rid of the DC8X line as well then? Those are still ice hardened.

Would be a shame if they got rid of those cases.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,597 Posts
do you suppose they'll get rid of the DC8X line as well then? Those are still ice hardened.

Would be a shame if they got rid of those cases.
No clue, honestly. As I already said, Damasko aren’t very forthcoming. It would be a shame when they‘d cancel ice-hardened cases.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,597 Posts
That does not explain the availability of submarine steel and DSub50, DC 70 models. Ice-hardening is a special treatment not a special class of steel. Damasko reduced the ice-hardened steel models already in 2021, at that time there was no supply issue. Imho there must be a different reason for the preference of a different stainless steel, austenitic rather than martensitic.

Based on their latest announcements and latest pics on FB I do not think they were facing shortage in submarine steel.

Watch Analog watch Photograph Light Black

Cosmetics Brush Kitchen utensil Eyewear Material property

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,597 Posts
I have just looked at Damasko's Facebook page, and it's got many recent posts and photos promoting ice-hardened models.
OK, I went back from today to Nov 2021
DC 57, 58 ice hardened
DK3x not
DK 3x cases, not
DC 72 not
DC76 not
DC 80 Black. ice hardened
DC4x bracelets, ice hardened

Most pics were about the DC58 and the A26 movement. So basically they promoted just one ice-hardened model (DC5x) in variants plus just one pic of the DC80 Black in the snow.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
@StufflerMike You took a more thorough look – you were correct – compared to my rapid glance at Damasko’s Facebook page. I sincerely hope that Damasko continues to offer ice-hardened watch cases. I, for one, would be disappointed if we lost ice-hardened steel watches.

Importantly, ice-hardened steel is the only Damasko option for people like me with a nickel allergy. (Nickel is one of the most common sensitizing agents worldwide.) However, I would love Damasko to offer hardened titanium watches! Do you think we'll ever see a titanium Damasko?

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,597 Posts
@StufflerMike You took a more thorough look – you were correct – compared to my rapid glance at Damasko’s Facebook page. I sincerely hope that Damasko continues to offer ice-hardened watch cases. I, for one, would be disappointed if we lost ice-hardened steel watches.
My hope as well. You do not change your DNA without reason.

Importantly, ice-hardened steel is the only Damasko option for people like me with a nickel allergy. (Nickel is one of the most common sensitizing agents worldwide.) However, I would love Damasko to offer hardened titanium watches! Do you think we'll ever see a titanium Damasko?
Well, everything is possible if it fits into Damasko‘s philosophy. It must make a watch „better“. It’s no problem to harden the surface of a titanium case, however the usual surface hardness you reach is about 1000HV+/-100HV. Case depths are typically in the range of 10 to 40μm, that doesn‘t make it „better“ compared to kolsterized submarine steel or ice-hardened martensitic steel. With regard to your nickel allergy wouldn’t a Damest coated Damasko be an option. Case back is coated as well.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hardened titanium would have two advantages: it’s hypoallergenic and lightweight. While it’s not unique, hardened titanium is rare. (Incidentally, I see Damasko's submarine steel as rare, not "better", considering Sinn also offers it.)

With regard to your nickel allergy wouldn’t a Damest coated Damasko be an option. Case back is coated as well.
Indeed, a Damest coated Damasko is a good option for those of us with a nickel allergy. The Damest coating on the caseback – Damasko is always thorough – would enable me to wear a DSub50. However, I didn’t plump for a DSub50 because it needed a splash of colour (like my DA46’s bright secondhand). I also prefer silver watch cases over black, but I know others like the black ops look.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,597 Posts
Hardened titanium would have two advantages: it’s hypoallergenic and lightweight. While it’s not unique, hardened titanium is rare. (Incidentally, I see Damasko's submarine steel as rare, not "better", considering Sinn also offers it.)
“Better“ was meant as an interpretation in the sense of what Konrad Damasko said when the DSub1 was introduced.
From a former post (2016): Submarine steel, be it 1.3813 (X 40 Mn Cr N 19) or 1.3952 (X 2 Cr Ni Mo N 18-14-3) or whatever steel known as submarine steel features a 155% higher cohesivesness compared to 316L. Due to Mn and Mo "ingredients" the austenitic steel is more sturdy. Submarine steel is the best steel you can chose for for frequent underwater activities and therefore the better option for a diver's watch. Martensitic, ice-hardened steel, wouldn't be the optimal choice. Those knowing Konrad Damasko know why he went for submarine steel though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts