WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

I am not going to ask if this is possible, because I already know the answer; it is.

I have been in contact with Damasko for a while now to create what would be to me the ultimate (tool) watch. Their DC82 suited my needs almost perfectly. The ice hardened case, sapphire crystal, 43mm case+bezel size, the center mounted chrono, no subdials, date window... Amazing stuff. But... I wanted to up the ante and get the Si system in this watch too. It took some back and forth and some persuasion, but Damasko is making the first DC8x with the Si system for me as we speak!

I specifically asked permission to mention this (permission was given). I'm absolutely not active on this forum but I thought that it would be very interesting to see if Damasko could do it and if so, what the upcharge would be (in the grand scheme of this watch: very, very doable!).

It will take +- 16 weeks to complete this watch. I am very familiar with custom work (boots, coats, guitars, amplifiers) so waiting is not new to me. I will keep you all appraised of the progress.

Oh, I'll explain my reasons as to why I asked for the Si system and chose the DC82!

In my line of work, I need to time processes very regularly and I don't have the time to grab my phone. I also don't have the real estate on my hands to wear a watch AND a stopwatch/chronograph so it had to be an all in 1. I also need to see the time plus elapsed time in 1 glance, so no bi or tri compax designs for me. I needed a watch that could withstand the abrasives I work with that will just fly everywhere in the room (fine glassbubbles, grits of sandpaper). And it had to be anti-magnetic. I don't know of a watch that ticks all those boxes except a DC82 Si. And I'm very, very happy that Damasko was happy to oblige.

Damasko's customer support so far is stellar.

_
EDIT 3.5.2021

I got the watch in today. I want to thank everybody at Damasko for the amazing customer service for having made this possible. This is a truly unique watch but from the outside, it's just a normal DC82. I don't know if this will be my daily watch, to be honest, because it is a bit small for my taste but I don't care. I love this watch already. I felt that 'click' bond immediately. But what thread is acceptable without photos? None. So, here goes. I juxtaposed this against my new Oris Pro Diver, which is 8mm larger.

What I love:
*The movement is a work of art.
*The bezel is SO...SMOOTH!!!! No play whatsoever.
*I love the cleanliness of the dial.
*I love how solid the bracelet feels. Super-comfortable but very solid. The hex-screws really aid in this.
*I love the feel of the crown. Solid yet smooth.
*The high gloss box looks beautiful.
Seriously, this is more than 'just' a modded 7750/SW500 (not sure which to be honest). This feels like an upgrade all across the board. Of course, I can only feel the crown and stem movement and I can't look inside but I suppose that 'feel' is the best I can get right now.

What I dislike:
*I am finding it challenging to fine-tune the bracelet to my desired length. It's either just a touch too short or a touch too long. Frankly, this is my gripe with bracelets in general but I prefer bracelets over straps (in terms of looks and feel) so I'll just tinker a bit. Even my Oris and Sinn aren't perfect; but then, what watch is?
*I want this watch to be larger. 43mm is just too small for my taste but I suppose I'll have to learn to live with that.
*That clasp is SOLID. Like, seriously. Solid. Quite difficult to take off the watch.
*The chrono second hand isn't perfectly aligned with the hour marker.
That's it. Really, what 'dislikes' am I talking about? Am I kidding? This watch is amazing. I now own 9 watches of which just 3 quartz. Now... what to save up for next? IWC Big Pilot Titanium? Grand Seiko? Original B-Uhr? New guitar amplifiers?

Or play outfield and save up to migrate to where my loved one lives? It's just 10,000km away and I 'only' possess 78 guitars. How expensive could that be.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wow...that's fantastic! Looking forward to seeing the outcome...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Is the Si movement completely different ? Can you simply replace the silicon spring in any of their movements?

I have a DC80 Left hand version being built now.

My dream watch would be to combine all of Damasko and Sinn's technology into one super tool watch.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understood that it's not just a silicon balancd wheel and spring but that there is more involved to it.

Oh, and I already own a Sinn EZM10 Testaf 😁❤

The tegiment tech is congruent with the ice hardened case.

The dehumidifing system is unique to Sinn.

Diapal, same. But Damasko has their own version of lubricant free escapement if memory serves.

I think it's more fun to have 2 watches that are similar yet very different.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Very excited to see the final product!

Are we there yet? Has it been 16 weeks yet? It feels like it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
This sounds like a cool project indeed, props to Damasko and to orpheo - what is your line of work, by the way? The description is intriguing.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Very cool. Gotta love Damasko! Can't wait to see the finished watch.

Reactions: Batboy

·
Premium Member
8,508 Posts
Very nice to hear about Damasko customizing a watch for you. Looking forward to your initial impressions and pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds really interesting, you mind sharing the price if that has been agreed with Damasko. Just wondering how much of a hole it will put into one’s pocket on top of already premium but justified Damasko price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would you know if Damasko has retired or stopped the production of 3 hand base model with rotating bezel. I was eyeing for those with a bracelet but then it’s gone from their website. Moreover majority suggests go for omega or any other Swiss entry level luxury rather putting that much towards a German watch, I am confused like anything. Poor me, heart says Damasko and brain says Omega - guys any guidance

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
Would you know if Damasko has retired or stopped the production of 3 hand base model with rotating bezel. I was eyeing for those with a bracelet but then it’s gone from their website. Moreover majority suggests go for omega or any other Swiss entry level luxury rather putting that much towards a German watch, I am confused like anything. Poor me, heart says Damasko and brain says Omega - guys any guidance
Perhaps start a new thread with these questions rather than piggybacking on something so specific?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I heard they couldnt get enough Si systems for general sales but that I could custom order one.

I dont have ANY watch from swatch group. I have issues already with ETA but these are so heavily modified, they're more Sinn or damasko than ETA so that I can handle.

I just.... dont like conglomerate brands. I recognize their need and their place in the market! But I choose independence If i can. So. No omega.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts