WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why Damasko does not have the word "Automatic" on their dials like many other brands do? I was just curious.
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The real question should be: Does anyone know why many brands unnecessarily include the word “Automatic” on their dials?
Yes, I like your version of the question better.
Joe

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,687 Posts
Does anyone know why Damasko does not have the word "Automatic" on their dials like many other brands do? I was just curious.
Joe
Maybe because it is not needed. Konrad Damasko once said „We put a lot of emphasis on the technical part. We try to offer as much technology as possible in our watches, and focus on reliability. No complicated design features, but absolute readability even under vibration, stress, low light and all different demanding environments that other watches wouldn’t withstand.“.

However, there‘s a lot to read on the solid back of Damasko watches. Damasko‘s digest I call it.

Anyway, it is not marketing tactics. Konrad: „We don’t really do marketing, we leave that up to the people.“.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If they did put it on their dial it would be "automatik" I suppose.

Reactions: cottontop

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think its because they do not have a single quartz watch, unlike other manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's another good possibility. It is not needed. Damasko fans know a Damasko is an automatic. Like Mike said when quoting Konrad Damasko,"...we leave that up to the people."
Joe

Reactions: Batboy

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That's another good possibility. It is not needed. Damasko fans know a Damasko is an automatic. Like Mike said when quoting Konrad Damasko,"...we leave that up to the people."
Joe
Agree that it's not needed, but because the owner doesn't have to be reminded of the movement winding method. Not all Damaskos are automatic, they have models with the handwound H35 movement.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Agree that it's not needed, but because the owner doesn't have to be reminded of the movement winding method. Not all Damaskos are automatic, they have models with the handwound H35 movement.
That’s a fairly new movement though, no?

They probably didn’t think it was important enough to change older models to say “automatic” just because of this.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That’s a fairly new movement though, no?

They probably didn’t think it was important enough to change older models to say “automatic” just because of this.

It was introduced in 2011, so not new. My broader point is that "automatic" hasn't been something worth bragging about for at least 30 years :LOL:. I don't have any watches newer than 1976 that have "Automatic" written on their dial or on the case, except for chronographs (where self-winding is a much more recent development) like the El Primero, invented in 1969, & Valjoux 7750, invented in 1973.

Also, I think it would be great if Damasko made some smaller, or at least thinner, models w/good quartz movements &/or movements from other independent marques, like Habring2.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
There's something quite refreshing about it. The DS 30 I have is sparse yet bold at the same time -- not overwhelmed by unnecessary text! I'm reminded of the Grand Seiko quartz I own that just has the GS / Grand Seiko up top, and a little gold star above the 6... in many ways I prefer that simplicity to their other models that have "automatic," "spring drive," or the power indicator on them. But of course, that's "just a quartz." ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love the degree to which Damasko tends to take a "form follows function" approach to design. I've never glanced at the dial of my Damasko with the intention to figure out whether or not it is automatic. Therefore, the "function" that such text would serve is not sufficient to justify it's "form." This relentless dedication to functionality is what makes a Damasko a Damasko and what makes my DA46 my favorite watch.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
I for one am sick of manufacturers who print half the specs sheets on their dials. Annoying!

Love my DK11. Minimal dial markings, just right for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m glad they don’t write automatic (or automatik) on their dials. I do wish they would put it on the case back. It seems a little weird to me that it isn’t written there.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
There is WAAAYY too much crap on many dials.

Enough is Enough, manufacturers! We don't need your "spec sheet" dials!

Rant over.

:LOL:

Reactions: Batboy

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with all that has been said.
However, I just like, really like, the way "Automatic" looks. Must be because I started to care about watches back when it actually meant something. somethings just stick with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the thread resurrection but have to comment (and agree with most others) that “less is best”. As an example, the recent Rolex Submariners are superior to older models in every respect except the extra and completely unnecessary two lines of chat on the dial.
I love Damasko’s approach

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The real question should be: Does anyone know why many brands needlessly include the word “automatic” on their dials?
Because there are a bunch of popular models that are manually would. Moonwatch, Reverso, many Panerai models, that come to mind

1 - 20 of 21 Posts