WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
DA 36 here.
Up to +5 seconds each day on the wrist, retarded overnight by placing it 12 down-ish, leaning on it's bracelet.
This routine keeps it very accurate for me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Damasko accuracy

I have a Damasko DB1, which I think has the same movement as the DA36 and 37 just different dial color. I'm interested to hear what others have experienced as far as it's accuracy. I've been consistently getting -11 to -12 spd with combination of high and low activities. Does this movement come regulated by Damasko and will having a local watchmaker regulate the movement to say around +/-5 spd void the warranty?

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Re: Damasko accuracy

I have a DA36 that I bought new around 9 years ago and a previous loved DB1 that I got last month. The old DA36 was better regulated than the DB1. But the deviation does not bother me.

There is an screw in the ETA 2836 that could be used to perform minor adjustments, that could improve on the problem you are having, and this do not require the movement to be removed from the case. Any competent watch maker should manage the task.

The case of my DB1 was magnetized when I got it, so this could be a contributing factor on the performance on my sample

Check this link for my simple test to find a magnetized case
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=42241346

·
Registered
65 Posts

I have a DA36 that I bought new around 9 years ago and a previous loved DB1 that I got last month. The old DA36 was better regulated than the DB1. But the deviation does not bother me.

There is an screw in the ETA 2836 that could be used to perform minor adjustments, that could improve on the problem you are having, and this do not require the movement to be removed from the case. Any competent watch maker should manage the task.

The case of my DB1 was magnetized when I got it, so this could be a contributing factor on the performance on my sample

Check this link for my simple test to find a magnetized case
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=42241346
Damasko cases are designed so that even if the outer case is magnetized the inner case protects the movement from being affected.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts

Damasko cases are designed so that even if the outer case is magnetized the inner case protects the movement from being affected.
In fact, the inner case is provided because it is expected that the outer case will become magnetized due to the type of steel that is used. We have an earlier thread in which there is discussion that the use of the soft iron inner case to protect against magnetism of the hardened outer case was covered by one of Damasko's many patents (that patent expired recently).

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quoting myself here:
My DA34 out of the box (3 months ago) ran 4.2 seconds fast per day. It settled down a bit, it is now running 2.5 seconds fast per day over the last 2 weeks.
(Both measurements over several weeks. 12 down at night is slowest position. When in winder it gains 2 seconds per day extra).
Now, after 5 months the DA34 settled in to about plus 0.5s per day on average! I am very pleased and hope it will stay like this for a long time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My DC57 gains maybe 4-5 seconds per day so it's not super accurate. My Eterna gains maybe a second per day but my Junkers gains almost 20 seconds per day so can't really complain about the Damasko.
But do they continue gaining 5 secs everyday? By the end of week or month he inaccurate will it be when gain and loss is discussed?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My DA 38 is now slow approx 15 sec a day. It was originally 6 seconds fast when I got it a couple of years ago. To me the decrease in accuracy is unacceptable. Especially when it’s the least accurate in my collection and one of the most expensive. It’s hard to feel good about this watch when my $300 Seiko 5’s are more accurate and more durable. I really question the value proposition of this watch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My DS30 spent the first year or so losing <1 sec per day. It was so accurate that I stopped bothering to track it on the Watch Tracker app. Then at some point it slowed down and now it's a very consistent -6 per day. I just sent it in for regulation.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My DA 38 is now slow approx 15 sec a day. It was originally 6 seconds fast when I got it a couple of years ago. To me the decrease in accuracy is unacceptable. Especially when it’s the least accurate in my collection and one of the most expensive. It’s hard to feel good about this watch when my $300 Seiko 5’s are more accurate and more durable. I really question the value proposition of this watch.
How is a Seiko 5 more durable?

Regarding time-keeping thats the luck of the draw - between an ETA and a lower end Seiko movement more often that not the ETA will be more accurate, but it doesn't mean its the case every time.

If accuracy concerns you that much then you shouldn't buy any watch with a stock ETA
as the figures you have quoted are within ETA specs, for the movement grade used. I don't think you buy a Damasko (without in-house movement) or a Seiko if you demand accuracy better than those specs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has DAMASKO released accuracy specifications for their new in-house movements yet? I am waiting to see what those are before making the commitment to a DK3x model.
PS: Seiko automatic movements (excluding the Spring Drive and the High Beat) usually have very poor accuracy specs, even though most of their watches exceed them in real life; that is one reason I stay away from Seiko watches, generally.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Has DAMASKO released accuracy specifications for their new in-house movements yet? I am waiting to see what those are before making the commitment to a DK3x model.
PS: Seiko automatic movements (excluding the Spring Drive and the High Beat) usually have very poor accuracy specs, even though most of their watches exceed them in real life; that is one reason I stay away from Seiko watches, generally.
You will see here that spec is not published for any of the movements: Movements

·
Registered
56 Posts

In fact, the inner case is provided because it is expected that the outer case will become magnetized due to the type of steel that is used. We have an earlier thread in which there is discussion that the use of the soft iron inner case to protect against magnetism of the hardened outer case was covered by one of Damasko's many patents (that patent expired recently).
true... but there's still some effect when the outer case is magentized. i had mine pretty badly magnetized at one point and it was gaining 10 seconds per day. degaussed it, and it's +1-ish. honestly so accurate that i hardly think about it. it's more accurate than the quartz clock in my subaru. that thing loses time.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
true... but there's still some effect when the outer case is magentized. i had mine pretty badly magnetized at one point and it was gaining 10 seconds per day. degaussed it, and it's +1-ish. honestly so accurate that i hardly think about it. it's more accurate than the quartz clock in my subaru. that thing loses time.
I did say that ~ 4 years ago.

Did you demagnetize the movement while it was inside the iron cage? If so, I am surprised that the applied magnetic field was strong enough to have an effect inside the cage.

On the other hand, your timekeeping certainly has improved.

Having a great time.
whineboy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did say that ~ 4 years ago.

Did you demagnetize the movement while it was inside the iron cage? If so, I am surprised that the applied magnetic field was strong enough to have an effect inside the cage.

On the other hand, your timekeeping certainly has improved.

Having a great time.
whineboy
yeah actually emailed watchmann and asked if hey were going to have to pull the movement to degauss. He said nope, just degauss the whole thing.. At that point i just decided to do it myself, a friend of mine had a demagnetizer. Those things have a pretty strong electromagnet in them.

I think a lot of folks are walking around with slightly magnetized damaskos thinking 5-10 seconds a day is good enough. I encourage everyone to degauss!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is that with you servicing the watch during the recommended period?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had my DA36 serviced by WatchMann. Previously it was +/- 5-10 seconds/day, but since the service it has been within +/- 1 second/day for the few weeks since it was returned to me. Worn every day.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts