WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
Then why did you say "DC8x" doesn't have a running seconds?
Because no running seconds is the DC 8x USP, despite the DC 86 having one. One the DC 80 I prefer the uncluttered dial with no permanent second. The DC 86 needs a seconds counter otherwise it wouldn‘t be a tri-compax. Different „philosophy“ so to say.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Material property

Food Ingredient Recipe Clock Analog watch

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
My thought is they would use their new A26 movement as that would be a better size for a smaller watch.
I could be wrong but to me it looks like some of you want a Damasko which has nothing in common with the DK 105: No handwound movement, the H 35 was handwound , no small second at 9, the A 26 has a central second, not sure they can do an off center seconds hand with the A 26. Basically you want a Damasko dress watch with polished case and a blue dial with indexes. Plus an A 26 with seconds hand out of the center. That‘s not a smaller DK105. That‘s more like a DK3x, isn‘t it !?

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
1000% agree! This would be fantastic.
Edit: Although, I remember hearing that the DK105 has a 35mm movement in it, hence the larger size. Maybe Damasko can work their magic and provide a smaller version
It‘s most likely not about magic. It is about math. If you mount the existing H35 (35 mm in diameter) into a (say) 39/40mm case without re-constructing the H35 the date window and small second will automatically move further to the edge. This could only be realized with smaller hour and minute markers and will have a negative impact on the visual balance. A small second needs some space and asks for some distance to the minute track.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
For everything?

Their diver uses sub steel. This new chronograph as well, probably will be a "diver chronograph"

Most everything else is still Ice hardened

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
The DS30/DK 30 and DSub series are made of submarine steel for good reasons I explained some years ago after I met with Konrad Damasko.
DC 5x and DC8x are the only models currently made of icehardened martensitic steel. All others (which is the majority) are made of austenitic steel. All other ice-hardened models (DK105, DK1x, DK DA3x, DA4x) have disappeared.
Not sure the chrono cases shown on IG are „new“, could be a 7x case without the drilled lugs the 7x series features. I am eagerly waiting for Damasko‘s comment.
The text on IG is unfortunately rather meaningless apart from the fact that the case surface is now (partially) polished. A polished case surface to me point more in the direction of a classic or dressy chrono rather than a tool watch (diver‘s chronograph). anyway, Damasko will tell us when the time has come.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
Will be interesting to see what models are forthcoming and in what materials. Just thinking out loud, it seems the ice hardened case is easily magnetized, so it requires either a soft iron cage or the use of Si. Size and cost would both seem to be a consideration while revamping the line??? Perhaps some changes in material offset the in house movement cost to some extent??? Don't know any of this, just a little "wild speculation"...
Yeah. However, ice-hardened cases with soft iron cage, Si spring and anchor, crosshairs were part of Damasko‘s DNA and something which made Damasko distinguishable from competitors. Currently there’s also no watch on offer with the H35x or A35x movements and I wonder why. On IG they are looking for new employees, so „cost“ might be a factor, yes.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
I thought submarine steel could be hardened like Sinn does when tegimenting their submarine steel on come of their diver watches.
That‘s wahr Damasko did and does, surface hardening the submarine steel (austenitic).
Submarine steel, be it 1.3813 (X 40 Mn Cr N 19) or 1.3952 (X 2 Cr Ni Mo N 18-14-3) or whatever steel known as submarine steel features a 155% higher cohesivesness compared to 316L. Due to Mn and Mo "ingredients" the austenitic steel is more sturdy. Submarine steel is the best steel you can chose for frequent underwater activities and therefore the better option for a diver's watch. Martensitic, ice-hardened steel, wouldn't be the optimal choice. Those knowing Konrad Damasko know why he went for submarine steel for the DSub and DS30 with 200m rating though.

I don't know about the antimagnetic qualities per the case itself since I think a lot of watchmakers nowadays use antimagnetic materials in those watches rather than relying solely on a Faraday cage.
The soft iron inner cage is necessary when you use martensitic steel which is more prone to magnetism than austenitic steel.

If I were in charge, I would tegiment/ice harden all my watch cases as a uniform feature of all Damasko watches. Whether they were regular stainless or sub steel wouldn't matter. All cases would be hardened.
The steel you use does matter in order to apply the right hardening process. Austenitic steel can be only hardened on the surface, a through and through hardening is not possible. Martensitic steel can be ice-hardened. The steel and technique you use determines the grade of hardness (Vickers).

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
As I've never had the pleasure of meeting Konrad Damasko - why did he go with submarine steel for the DS30? I thought the first ones had a 100m rating and the design is not really water-oriented that I can tell. I'm a happy owner of one, but I'm genuinely curious!
Konrad Damasko explained that U-Boot steel is the best steel you can chose for frequent underwater activities and therefore the better option for a diver's watch (compared to non diver‘s watches in the collection). You will find the thread when doing a search on this forum.

The other question has already been answered 4 years ago (Damasko to Watchmann):

"The DS30 has been designed constructively from day one for a water resistance of 200m. But since comparable models like the DA series are only designed for 100m, DAMASKO decided to engrave only 100m on the bottom of the DS30 models. Since all DS models have a waterproofness of 200m, DAMASKO decided to engrave this on the bottom of the watches. This means that even DS 30 models with 100m (on the back) are 200m waterproof."

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
I know titanium can accept surface hardening treatment, but I'm unsure if it can be ice hardened.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Surface hardening provides a hardness of 1000HV+/-100HV. Case depth typically is in the range of 10 to 40μm. Hardening through and through does not make sense, the material would be prone to crack.

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,958 Posts
Yeah when I do a search on Damasko's website for "GMT" or even "UTC" nothing matches. I searched the web on the DK 200, and it seems like it was produced roughly 2017~2019, and priced in the low $3k USD! That seems on the high side... was it a limited edition / limited run? Was a good looking watch.
Wasn‘t a limited run, valid for both, DK 200, DK 201. For what you got, in-house movement (A 35-2) with silicon spring and anchor, weight balance wheel, ice-hardened case the price was adequate. However, the demand was low so at a given point Damasko decided to stop production. Every time I meet Uli Kriescher, a Damasko dealer and master watchmaker, I'm sorry I didn't buy the DK 200. Uli is wearing his on a red leather strap, an eye-catcher.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts