WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, no disrespect to the brand. I think they're a mighty fine organisation and quite possibly may have one of their pieces to call my own one day, they look fantastic and from what I can tell they represent a very competitive option for their niche and price-point. I have spent a lot of time researching their watches. However. The sticking point for me and many others seems to be the lume, and in most cases i've seen, only the lume (everything else about them looks solid). At present the use of C1 on a tool watch designed for military grade performance and usefulness just seems... a little self-defeating. Now the only real excuse i am aware of is that C1 is a crisp white in daylight so it looks better. Until recently that was all good, but with BGW9 now being widely used, brighter and longer-lasting, and just as crisp and white in the daylight, surely it is high-time for a Damasko lume revolution?

Lume may not be important to some, and in some styles of watches I can take it or leave it myself, but for a tool watch of this level of spec and corresponding cost I would say it was quite significant, and a big factor to consider when debating whether to make a purchase or not. From reading around I know I am not alone. The sort of people interested in these watches are often the sort that need to be able to read their watches at night, and some of these folk are sometimes put off by the use of C1 lume.

A DA47 with fully-lumed BGW9 dial and bezel that popped like a Tudor Pelagos and burned all through the night would inspire me to raise (or justify) the funds quicker and out-do several close-call competitors all at once. The dial would stay a crisp white, and in all reality after the initial burst of charge the lume wouldn't be so bright as to offend anyone (some prefer subtle lume). It would just be nice and legible all night, and far superior to C1.

I fail to see how this would be anything other than a win-win situation all around.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
If I wanted lume that REALLY lasted all night, I would get a watch with Tritium tubes, as most folks do who REALLY need to see what time it is after 10 or 20 hours in darkness (caving, tunnelling, piloting, trekking in the far north, etc.)--otherwise, it is a non-issue--Damasko is plenty bright for most uses where regular lume is relied upon.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Agreed. I own a DA34 and DC66 and would gladly spend another $100 per if they improved the lume. Another coat, BW9, whatever...

Reactions: Batboy and whoa

·
Premium Member
36,407 Posts
If I wanted lume that REALLY lasted all night, I would get a watch with Tritium tubes, as most folks do who REALLY need to see what time it is after 10 or 20 hours in darkness (caving, tunnelling, piloting, trekking in the far north, etc.)--otherwise, it is a non-issue--Damasko is plenty bright for most uses where regular lume is relied upon.
Agree.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If I may ask: Why not C3 ?
It's the color. If I could choose any one, it'd be W9 for its whiteness.

My DA34 has the red lume 12 maker and indeed it's also pretty weak.

Reactions: Batboy

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Agree in this! Really the only "bad" thing about my da36! Still love it though

/insert clever or funny note here\

Reactions: Batboy and ehansen

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,699 Posts
OK, I see.
Never ever had a problem reading a Damasko in a glance in any daylight situation. Valid for the no lume DA20 as well and all the other watches I own(ed).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
OK, I see.
Never ever had a problem reading a Damasko in a glance in any daylight situation. Valid for the no lume DA20 as well and all the other watches I own(ed).
Definitely no problem reading it... for me would just be a style preference. Stark white against a black dial, vs white with greenish hue, which I've had on other watches.

Though I'd also be great with brighter, greenish hue, vs their stock lume. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"If I wanted lume that REALLY lasted all night, I would get a watch with Tritium tubes, as most folks do who REALLY need to see what time it is after 10 or 20 hours in darkness (caving, tunnelling, piloting, trekking in the far north, etc.)--otherwise, it is a non-issue--Damasko is plenty bright for most uses where regular lume is relied upon."

I respectfully disagree entirely. I own a trit watch and it's great, practically, but as a watch-lover i'd like to think that one day i might wear a nice auto to work and it would be just as capable, practically. Isn't that the whole design ethos behind a brand like Damasko? Wear anywhere, do anything... it would seem as if lume is the only weak link holding this type of watch back from being a perfect 10.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with the original poster: Damasko owners could benefit from better lume, at least on the black-dial models (I've never seen the all-lume white dials in person).

It's not as necessary on the DA34/44 with the lumed bar indices, but the little dots and triangle on the numeral-dial models really aren't sufficient. (If they'd lume the numerals themselves, that would help.) I greatly prefer my DA44 to my DA46 in darkness for that reason.

Damasko's dials are so high-contrast that, when the lume is completely worn out for the night, they're still more legible than a lot of other watches on the market. But that doesn't mean they can't improve by using better (and more) lume.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
"I respectfully disagree entirely. I own a trit watch and it's great, practically, but as a watch-lover i'd like to think that one day i might wear a nice auto to work and it would be just as capable, practically. Isn't that the whole design ethos behind a brand like Damasko? Wear anywhere, do anything... it would seem as if lume is the only weak link holding this type of watch back from being a perfect 10."

BUT, the lume solution you suggest WON'T (BGW9) get you anywhere near being "just as capable"--there are several threads on the WUS site here showing clear evidence that even the best "regular" lumes can't hold a candle to a T25 Tritium watch, much less a T100 Tritium watch, beginning from around the 3rd hour of being placed in total darkness. My point is that even the best regular lume has nowhere near the longevity in darkness that just about any-t-tubed watch does. Your suggestion, therefore, does not offer even the potential for a "perfect 10," but by definition, falls well short of that mark. While perhaps the average Damasko may be improved changing the lume type, it will still fall short of ANY T-tubed watch, by actual comparison, if tested anytime after that three hour mark, give or take. So, to me at least, it seems odd to propose a solution that still clearly falls shorts of making for a perfect 10 in terms of night time legibility--if you are going to advocate change, why not advocate for the best that there is, rather than just some intermediate compromise? With that said, I still think my DA36 is perfectly legible for just about any situation I find myself in.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Brighter, longer lasting lume would be great, but when I wore my DA36 (and my incoming 363 will probably be the same), I spent little time lamenting the poor luminescence b/c the thing was just so darn cool. Not sure I'd pay an extra $100.00 for it. My diver would be a different story.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nothing wrong with a white dial full lume Damasko using C1. Just as readable all night as anything else.
I can see an argument with the black dial versions, BGW9 could be a good alternative.
C3 on the other hand I don't see being a good option. No subtlety or class to it at all, its just bright green... all the time. Works with some dials, wold look very naff on a Damasko dial.
I love the White dials with C1, It's there when you need it and not when you don't :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the BGW9 is white when not illuminated and brighter than C1, then I agree Damasko should use it. My DK14 is a tool watch. I bought it to use hard, and I often rely on the lume. I have lumed quite a few watch hands and dials with Noctilumina and I think it's generally a brighter product color for color, than Superluminova. I don't think cost is the issue here. Damasko must lume big batches of hands and dials at the same time so there will be very little waste, which is where the lume gets expensive (at least for me). But I'd pay more for a brighter lume if I had to.
I want it all in one watch. I want a stunningly beautiful, boutique brand, hand crafted timepiece that is rugged and dependable and easily readable at night. What I don't want is to have to switch watches to a Seiko or Casio when I'm working in some Cambodian jungle at night.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
What are the different cost factors to the manufacturer with regard to Mike's chart in reply #5?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fully lumed bgw9 bezel like the tudor pelagos would look so sick on one of the bezel models. All-in-one watch is right, having to switch to a watch a fraction of the cost when you need decent lume is silly when these pieces are marketed as military grade tools. No excuse for c1 on these watches, everything else about them is over-engineered, yet some people are defending "adequate" lume. Crazy. If micros like armida can knock out best lume ever with lashings of c3 at 1/3 the price, surely it's achievable. I simply do not see a reason not to switch to a stronger lume.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts