WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
When I was shopping for my last tool watch purchase the only thing keeping me from purchasing a Damasko was the lume.
Regarding the use of Tritium, I prefer the use of lume. I have a 17 year old Seamaster that is still burning bright, and if/ when the lume expires, I can easily get it relumed.
Tritium, on the other hand, would require OEM tubes, which may or may not be available in 20, 30, 40 years etc...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know that the DA-37 uses C-1 but have not seen one "in hand". Can anyone shed a little "light" on how the C-1 lume holds up through the night on this model?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
i agree the lume could be better. It is also disappointing the the bezel indices have no lume at all except for the pip

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
It starts up really bright for sure. Not sure how long it lasts though in the night. I'm always sleeping.

I know that the DA-37 uses C-1 but have not seen one "in hand". Can anyone shed a little "light" on how the C-1 lume holds up through the night on this model?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks, Myke. Just got a DA-35 and, as you stated, the lume starts out with a full green glow and fades to a minimal lume through the night. Visible but not fully usable unless you have great "night vision".

·
Registered
5,388 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I have the big sister 373. It is readable through the night. I also have tritium watches and frankly I find them on practical terms not better. The large lumed area compensates for lesser strength.
Interesting how the dial seems to become whiter at dusk, it is the lume working but it has at dusk more an impression of whiteness rather than lume!
My strongest lume watch is my seiko tuna, their own lume is like C3 or even better. Yes it is incredibly strong and lasting as well. But greenish in daylight.
Another interesting use of c1: my steinhart premium flieger has multiple layers, so that lumed markers look almost applied. The result is a watch whose lume starts of reasonably good, but importantly lasts well.
Coming to bgw9: my MKII Hawkinge has that (one of my favourite watches!) and it is indeed nicely white in daylight just like damasko's c1. However it is indeed stronger through the night, even while the mkii has only little bits of lume it is perfectly readable until the morning. A 373 with bgw 9 would be a torch, perhaps even too much of a good thing! An interesting detail is that bgw9 glows blue!

·
Registered
602 Posts
What I find frustrating is that they are a small boutique manufacturer, plus they offer the ability to customize their watches, and yet they still refuse to use better lume, even when it has been requested lots of times in the past. There is frankly no excuse.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,699 Posts
What I find frustrating is that they are a small boutique manufacturer, plus they offer the ability to customize their watches, and yet they still refuse to use better lume, even when it has been requested lots of times in the past. There is frankly no excuse.
I think C3 grade A is sufficient for my needs. I do not need an excuse though.
Grade A lume must glow at least 25% brighter than normal lume, and it has to remain visible for at least 700 minutes (vs 570 related to "normal" lume).

·
Registered
381 Posts
To the owners of white-dial Damaskos, do you need brighter lume? I'm still waiting for my DC67 but I assume C1 on white-dial Damaskos are good enough and anything else makes it look like a flash light.

·
Registered
187 Posts
To the owners of white-dial Damaskos, do you need brighter lume? I'm still waiting for my DC67 but I assume C1 on white-dial Damaskos are good enough and anything else makes it look like a flash light.
I have a DA47 and IMO the lume is alright. I find the C1 is adequate for most situations, if you can give it a charge. But it will only last up to about 4 hours before it becomes quite difficult to read. I work night shifts and so in an environment where there is a gradual decrease in ambient light, the lume isn't able to store a useful charge for longer than 2 hours; in my experience. As you mentioned about stronger lume like C3, although its performance would be superior, I think this would be too bright and this negatively impact the visual style.

·
Banned
185 Posts
I looked at the Damasko DS30. Almost ordered, I thought it was BGW9 lume... No order from me now. Same problem with Sinn.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts