WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
181 - 200 of 590 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Curious why all the backlash against the name? And is it the name itself, which is just the dude's name, after all, and seems as arbitrary to me as any other. In fairness, I get why Bauta hates it — he has bad grade school associations with a kid named Dan Henry. I can see that. If the watch was called LeRoy London, I'd feel the same way, because he stole my skateboard and I hated him.

Or is it the way the name is presented on the dial — typeface and size and all that? Because overall it seems no more and no less offensive than, say, Obris Morgan, Christopher Ward, or really any other two-word, first name/last name or last name/last name combination.

Thanks for any insights.

ETA: Surely it's not as bad as all the things happening on an Orient dial...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Salt, check that there's no duty to pay. DHL normally contact me and ask me to cough up but this time they didn't for some reason and it was only when I went into on demand delivery to change the delivery date of my 1970 that I saw the "request" for duty payment.
It might well be, I have opened the tracking app and there is a line "awaiting payment" 6 days ago, but then next it moved to Shipment will be processed next available movement. I can not find however a way to pay from their site unless it will be through contact customer service, which will be the next step

Oh, man ......

That's a real bummer. Thanks for that bit of info ..... :-(

I really hope they have some other shipping arrangements available ? A recipe for trouble, is putting it lightly !!!!

I refuse to use DHL because they have miserable service, I mean really bad, and they charge an exorbitant " Handling Fee ", which is completely unlike any other courier service here !!! I mean, they already charged us to ship the item from A to B, so what's with the hefty additional fees ?

But, I can understand Dan Henry (DH) using DHL !!! :-d :-d :-d

That's put a spanner in the works for me, I'm afraid ......

Regards,
I had a similar issue with them from India. Paid all the vendor and then it got held up in customs, they did contact me then though, but wanted another 120 Euro for the 30 euro Item. As by them the cost to open a dossier, then pay a fine (because they made a mistake and declared the goods wrongly) and then calculated a handling fee on value plus transportation from WH to my place. I argued that I already had paid handling and that they made the wrong value declaration but they would not bulge. At the end they admitted their fault but getting it corrected with Customs would need another dossier cost and fee with no guarantee I get the money back. For all I know these Chrome indicators for a old bike are still in their warehouse.

Bummer Dirk, hopefully it gets through fast (and without you having to pay any import fees). My 1963 should be here Saturday - we'll see.
Dont hold my breath on this one :)
Post when you receive yours!

Dirk

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Wow!
These are very very nice designs and builds look good.
(looking at the 1968 and 1970...) $450 for both seems like a good deal... but, well... have too many watches incoming already...
Still, will torture myself following this thread and looking at any pics. ;)

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Salt, check that there's no duty to pay. DHL normally contact me and ask me to cough up but this time they didn't for some reason and it was only when I went into on demand delivery to change the delivery date of my 1970 that I saw the "request" for duty payment.
It might well be, I have opened the tracking app and there is a line "awaiting payment" 6 days ago, but then next it moved to Shipment will be processed next available movement. I can not find however a way to pay from their site unless it will be through contact customer service, which will be the next step

Dirk
I finally managed to find a email form to be mailed from their website! talking of a maze... most of it is commercial blabla trying to sell you something.

As I am in Egypt for work I obviously do not want them to call, or I to call them. There should be no need for arranging anything so routinely as paying import duties over the phone. Send a payment request, explaining what is paid for and how much plus your account detail. Job Done. I do a lot of my shopping online and most couriers have a way better set up for dealing with this.

Ah well, rant over, let now see why the watch is held up.

Dirk

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Reactions: ncmoto

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I didn't realize how closely the 1963 resembled a specific vintage chronograph until I saw a photo BevoWatch posted in the "liked THAT, got THIS" thread. Armed with that, I found this write up about the Breitling 765 CP.

#TBT Breitling 765 CP "Jean-Claude Killy"

Looks like the 1963's interesting case back and sandwich dial are two bonuses the Breitling did not have.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

181 - 200 of 590 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.