WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 609 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok got my order in for a panda.

Typical DH specs but now comes with a bracelet for $250. Looks like TGV’s review is also in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So nice. So small too. Really wish he had done an optional larger size like the 1970 for this one, but can't have everything.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
They look awesome; just wish they were 40-42mm. Still may have to give one a go if I could just decide which one I like best.

Sent from a van down by the river...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just got the email from DH about them. I'd like to have the evil panda version.

I also really like the 1947's.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Pardon my egregious use of asterisks because it's nanny word filter time.

**** this watch! This is bull****!

FINALLY Dan abandons the fake brown lume that has plagued his entire collection. Finally. He's using a solid movement with a date option. Also ideal. Pricing is spot on.

The proportions are good, but the size? The size is HOT GARBAGE! 19mm lugs so you're stuck with off-size straps or his strap that's not noted to be great quality and tapers to a far-too-dainty 16mm? Or squeeze in normal 20mm straps because he couldn't decide on a standard ****ing lug size?

38mm? On a chrono? With a Tachymeter? What is this crap? I know Dan loves vintage but the whole point of his collection *was* to make the style accessible and accessible meant 40-44mm sizing.

I hold my **** tongue every time, but every time a new <$1k, WIS-focused model comes out now, it seems like every single one is <40mm. I'm SO done with this. My wrist isn't getting any smaller, and Dan, of all people, seemed willing to offer watches in multiple sizes.

It's really too bad. I want one, but it would be incredibly stupid of me to buy one... so I won't.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got the email, went to the website, ordered the silver panda immediately.

The size is fricking PERFECT for this style of watch imo. Accessible means making them bigger for the fat-of-wrist? Err, no. Just no. Accessible means financially accessible. As in not dropping $3k+ for a vintage Heuer. If it doesn't look good on you then look elsewhere - there are any number of larger watches out there for those who want large. Or wait and see if Dan releases a larger one in due course. Or you could try the 42.5mm 1963 Chrono. Ah, I forgot- you don't like 'fake brown lume' either. Oops.

19mm lugs are a major issue? Get some perspective dude. We're not talking about a famine in the Sudan here, it's a watch with a slightly unusual lug size. Not an impossible size to locate, just a bit tricky and less selection. I'm truly sorry its not convenient for you, really - Dan Henry must have lost your phone number so he could seek your advice before he launched.

For $250 this watch is a steal. Period correct look, a variety of finishes, date/no date options, Seiko meca quartz for a smooth sweep, beads of rice strap AND a leather strap, pouch - for $250. Are you kidding me?

Personally, I would have preferred an acrylic crystal but for the money I'm not complaining. One of the best releases of 2018 so far. An absolute no-brainer.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Nice looking watches at very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to ask. Are these types of straps the in-thing for watches now? I keep seeing these "semi-Milanese" Mesh Strap.

Or maybe I have selective attention.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Sooo I may get a lot of flak for this, but, honestly.. this is worse in every way than the Undone chronographs.

The case is less detailed than the Undone chronos (UC).
The crystal is basically the same as UC.
The size is 39mm vs UC's 41mm.
The lug width is 19mm vs UC's 20mm (!).
The movements are the same.
UC lets you pick a tachy bezel or not, and a bunch of very nice dial/handset combinations.
The crown on the UC is much nicer.

I'm very suprised to see so much fawning over this Dan Henry from the people who were turning their noses up at the Undones. (As for brand names, let's be fair, both are suboptimal...)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just ordered mine - a Panda NoDate. The choice was quick though not that difficult as I have a 1939 in silver as well as a Flightmaster. This is my 3rd Dan Henry after the 1939 in silver and a 1970 in 40mm/orange. My guess is I'll have a few more at some point. I think I'm going to like the smaller size. And my guess is that I'll be selling the Flightmaster.

1 - 20 of 609 Posts