WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to identify a watch that would be an anniversary present from my wife for our 27th. Until recently my watch purchases have been somewhat conservative, but now I'm thinking that I need to shake things up with something more unique. That being the case, two watches caught my eye, and am wondering, if it were you, what would you opt for?

The first is from Wilk Watchworks, a skeletonized Lydian with a black case and silver dial:

lydiansilver1a.jpg

The second from EPOS, their Passion series with roman numerals and an open heart:

epos-passion.jpg

Both are hand-wound, use a pretty heavily decorated Unitas movement (6497 or 6498) and are about the same price. (Wilk Watchworks looks to be about $150 more, but I'm not going to quibble on that.)

Opinions. Other watches to consider?

Thanks,

Bill Herndon

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What watches do you currently have in your collection? The only thing about skeletonized watches is that a lot of people end up falling out of love with it after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris,

Not sure I'd call it a collection. (More of a "plan", really. :) ) But the watches I've acquired thus far:

Archimede DeckWatch (white dial)
Davosa Gentleman Automatic (silver dial)
Shinola RunWell (41mm, blue dial)
...and Tsovet SV38 Quartz with a cream dial that is a 'stand-in' until I can acquire a Stowa Antea B2B 390.

k/r

BH

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
This Maurice Lacroix might fit the bill, but maybe not the budget.

image003_3.jpg

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Do you want an skeleton watch or just open hearts? the two you posted are more open heart than skeleton watches.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I happen to have watches from both Wilks and Epos. I like both but I purchased the Epos specifically for its conservative design. If you want something unique then Wilks is the way to go because his hand finished dials are so unique.

With Wilks, you do have to select between a standard movement from his Chinese supplier (Hangzhou, I believe) or a Swiss ETA, so be aware of the cost difference involved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WatchNoob: I was accounting for the price difference. The Wilks with the ETA movement is the one that has a price slightly above the EPOS. Thanks for the perspective. The Wilks is indeed very unique.

Yongsoo1982: You make a good point. I think I misstated using the term "skeletonized" when the Wilks is really only partially skeletonized. I suppose my taste really doesn't go all the way to skeletonized watches--too conservative still I think.

Armchair: Indeed a very beautiful watch, but you're correct...probably too dear for me.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I used to like Skeleton watches but I quickly fell out of love with them. They tend to be in readable to my eyes

Michael

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks I'm in the same boat and looking to buy a skeleton. The Maurice lacroix skeletons look amazing will need to look into them!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Thanks I'm in the same boat and looking to buy a skeleton. The Maurice lacroix skeletons look amazing will need to look into them!

For about $1200 (last I inquired to an AD), there's the Epos 3390sk
3390sk_3_small-1-393x600.jpg

or you could do what I wound up doing (after realizing that, while I like skeletons, I didn't like them $1200 much :p) and grab a Sea-Gull for about $100ish

·
Registered
104 Posts
For about $1200 (last I inquired to an AD), there's the Epos 3390sk

or you could do what I wound up doing (after realizing that, while I like skeletons, I didn't like them $1200 much :p) and grab a Sea-Gull for about $100ish
Haha.. Thanks and ya I was thinking no more than $500-600!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts