WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Now that the dark side of the moon has been out for a few years, I'm interested to know what owners' experiences have been around it holding up?

I'm between the dark side and a rolex sub or gmt, the dark side is so much cooler looking but I worry about the strap holding up and the unknowns with ceramic and low water resistance of the watch.

I'm also interested to hear how the polish on the ceramic case has held up? You can't really touch up the polish like you can on steel (with a cape code cloth)?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine has held up very well. Strap included. The ceramic is so hard it has resisted taking on any scratches. The strap wears nicely and no issues except a tiny stray thread at the tip. Operates perfectly. Pushers so smooth.
Been a great purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Omega is going to update the DSotM in the near future and might even do so next month at Baselworld. At the very least, the Cal. 9300 will be updated to be Master Coaxial and they might even update the tachymetre bezel and make it lumed like on the GSotM.

Just food for thought. If you're planning on buying one soon, see what Baselworld holds next month.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've had my DSOTM for just over a year ... and I continue to love every minute it's on my wrist. I, too, had early concerns about whether the strap would hold up, but it still looks great and is easily the most comfortable strap in my collection. Also, the case puts up with a lot and shows no wear and tear (unlike my other watches, Titanium grade 5 included, this watch seems indestructible).

Sure, the watch has lower water resistance than your standard divers ... but it's also not advertised to be a diver. If you really find the DSOTM that much more appealing than the Rolex Sub/GMT (I certainly did), then I think you should go for the Dark Side ... you've got a lot to gain and very little to lose.

DSOTM - 1.jpg

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Coming up on two years soon. And I love it. Great all around watch. I like to inspect things under loupes, and it's held up. No blemishes. I can't wait until they no longer produce the original DSOTM.

I could have bought anything Rolex, still can, I'll never sell my DSOTM.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It's less. More like $140.
That is really reasonable for an OEM part. I've been considering trying to get my hands on one and sanding down the lug width by a little to try and squeeze some of my other watches onto it :p.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
That is really reasonable for an OEM part. I've been considering trying to get my hands on one and sanding down the lug width by a little to try and squeeze some of my other watches onto it :p.
When my OB sold me a DSOTM strap for $140 (for my GSOTM) the OB called back a few days later to say it was supposed to be over $300 and that they made a mistake, but said that Omega told them to honor the price that I'd paid. My spare GSOTM strap for folding clasp (without the clasp) it cost me about $360 at the OB.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
When my OB sold me a DSOTM strap for $140 (for my GSOTM) the OB called back a few days later to say it was supposed to be over $300 and that they made a mistake, but said that Omega told them to honor the price that I'd paid. My spare GSOTM strap for folding clasp (without the clasp) it cost me about $360 at the OB.
I paid around 260 from Watch Obsession for the GSOTM strap. I think my extra DSOTM strap was around 225.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the DSOTM for some time now and it's really holding up well. On my Seamster 600M there are some scratches on the steel bracelet for example but the ceramic lugs and the cordura strap is perfect looking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any comments on how the polished surfaces are holding up?

Polished steel shows scratches within days....is this not the experience with the DSOTM? Or is too dark to really notice?

What about the clasp? Surely that is showing some scratches?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting thread. I have the exact same questions as the OP, how well this model ages.

The newest version with the titanium/ceramic clasp looks quite interesting. I'm tempted to get my first Omega, but still haven't decided between the DSOTM and a white Globemaster.

Totally different watches, but at the moment one is enough.

Leaning a bit towards the Dark Side due to the impression that ceramic will last longer without looking used.

Ironically, I already have/had a ceramic watch from a fashion brand and while it is indeed very resistant to scratches (I tried scratching one spare link with scissors, because why not) I ended up cracking part of one link while removing it with weak taps of a hammer.

And it gets better. While hammering a fix to that previous mistake, one of the lugs cracked and detached along with a bit of the case, killing it for good.

It was a cheap ass ceramic watch, but I can't stop wondering if the unscratchable Dark Side can end up shattering if you hit it the wrong way against a wall by accident (or are extremely clumsy while changing straps).

Also, wondering how any Baselworld news might affect prices.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Any comments on how the polished surfaces are holding up?

Polished steel shows scratches within days....is this not the experience with the DSOTM? Or is too dark to really notice?

What about the clasp? Surely that is showing some scratches?
Since ceramic is very high on the Mohs hardness scale it would take something like a piece of diamond, sapphire, etc. to leave any scratches. So unless your in contact with such items I highly doubt the clasp or case of the DSOTM will pick up any noticeable scratches after a year of use. And oftentimes scratches are actually traces of material left over, and they can be taken off the surface of the ceramic with a pencil eraser.

·
Registered
467 Posts
2 years later and not the faintest scratch on m DSOTM. I added the calf strap with Ceramic Deployment buckle and after a month now not the slightest mark. All my SS watches would have all kinds of marks after a month.

I'm sure there are many grades/processes of ceramic watches so I wouldn't compare Omega to something like a CK etc. So far I’ve read posts about people banging and knocking their DSOTMs without any issues. Dropping them might be a different story in some rare cases as we have seen. I recommend the Deployment versions, insure for theft, loss, damage as any of the 3 can happen and enjoy the watch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
2 years later and not the faintest scratch on m DSOTM. I added the calf strap with Ceramic Deployment buckle and after a month now not the slightest mark. All my SS watches would have all kinds of marks after a month.

I'm sure there are many grades/processes of ceramic watches so I wouldn't compare Omega to something like a CK etc.So far I’ve read posts about people banging and knocking their DSOTMs without any issues. Dropping them might be a different story in some rare cases as we have seen.I recommend the Deployment versions, insure for theft, loss, damage as any of the 3 can happen and enjoy the watch.
Well, after reading several good comments like this, which cancelled all those "I saw this photo of one with a broken lug" that seemed the same, I decided to go for it.

Ordered a 311.92.44.51.01.007, which is the newer version of the original DSOTM, with titanium+ceramic deployment clasp.
The original .003 was cheaper, but I really prefer the look and comfort of the deployments, plus they are a lot safer when it comes to butter hands letting the watch slip while putting it on. So that will be enough "insurance" for me, not getting any other, although I will soon be able to use the joke "my watch is worth more than my car" for real. :)

The price was bad per USA standards, but for Europe, given that we have a hard time escaping an immediate +20%-23% rip-off due to VAT tax, I think it was reasonable. I looked at quite a few sources and got it about -26% off the retail price (e10300>e7630, or $8300) and with AD-stamped 4-year Omega warranty.

Sucky part is that the lead time is 4 to 6 weeks, so it seems I'll be waiting no less than a month. But getting it faster would be a waste of $.

I'll try to post a small review when I get it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts