WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot adjust the date on my Seiko SARB021 with the crown in first position. I am definitely moving the crown counter-clockwise, as indicated in the owner's manual. Moving the crown clockwise doesn't change the date, either.

The date will change when I adjust the time with the crown in second position, however.

Could the crown not really be in second position, or could something have broken?

I am stumped.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I guess that my question was not well posed. I meant the following: (a) was the watch working fine and then stopped working well or (b) is that the first time you used the crown?

If we are talking about (a), then must likely something is broken. You need to take it to a watchmaker.

Let me know consider case (b). In this case, most likely you are having problem to find the right position of the crown. As you release the crown (either by pulling it out or unscrewing it depending on the watch), the crown gets to position which I will call of position 0.

For movements that can be manually wound (as the 6R15), 0 is the position to wound the watch. If you turn the crown you will see nothing going on; however, if you are turning in the proper direction the watch will gets wound. For movements that cannot be manually wound (as the 7S26), you can turn the crown at position 0 but nothing happens.

Suppose that the crown is at position 0. If you pull crown out a lit bit, it will get to position 1. That is the position to set the date. If you pull it out a little bit more, then you get to position 2 (set the time). What may happens sometimes is that the crown is in position 0 and when you pull it out it jumps directly to position 2. So, make sure that you are not doing that. Sometimes I have to pull the crown back very slowly from 2 to get to 1.

In other words: maybe your watch is not broken; instead, you are just having a hard time to find the right position.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the detailed response, Mr. Madness.

After spending some more time fiddling with the crown, it seems quite likely that the watch is in fact broken. A bit disappointing for a watch not even two years old, I must admit.

Because this is my first serious watch, I don't know of a reputable watchmaker in my city. I'll start asking around.

·
Premium Member
64,888 Posts
All I know is that adjusting the day/date on some Seikos can be a PITA. Thanks for putting it into words SM, I just tend to mess about with mine until I achieve the desired result. If your watch is poorly, as sounds the case, good luck.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response, Mr. Madness.

After spending some more time fiddling with the crown, it seems quite likely that the watch is in fact broken. A bit disappointing for a watch not even two years old, I must admit.

Because this is my first serious watch, I don't know of a reputable watchmaker in my city. I'll start asking around.
Sorry for that. Hopefully you will manage to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Can you advance the date by advancing the hands 24 hours? I do this to set the date on my old 7009's. It should give some insight on if the date wheel is still working and point more to the crown gear (please excuse my totally untechnical terms).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you advance the date by advancing the hands 24 hours? I do this to set the date on my old 7009's. It should give some insight on if the date wheel is still working and point more to the crown gear (please excuse my totally untechnical terms).
I sure can. And thanks for pointing that out; it's good to know.

·
Premium Member
64,888 Posts
I sure can. And thanks for pointing that out; it's good to know.
TMM, I'm old enough to remember when most watches didn't have a rapid date change so you wound it forward until the date changed then wound it back to about 8.00 pm and forward again to change the date once more. No idea if your watch will do this but it may help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TMM, I'm old enough to remember when most watches didn't have a rapid date change so you wound it forward until the date changed then wound it back to about 8.00 pm and forward again to change the date once more. No idea if your watch will do this but it may help you.
That's neat; I did not know that.

I know this isn't a huge problem, and something I'll probably have to live with. I does make me think of buying a more expensive watch, however. ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick update -- I've sent the watch to the Seiko repair facility in New Jersey. It was Kobayashi-san's recommendation that I do so.

He gave me an estimate of $180 for service and refurbishment. We'll see. I can't wait to have my SARB back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got the watch back from Seiko -- they repaired it for free under warranty! I am quite surprised, and happy to have my SARB back all repaired and tuned up.

Good show, Seiko. Good show, indeed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts