WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Alpina GMT AL-247LGG4TV6 movement is AL-247 which I could find nothing on. I got it yesterday from Amazon (New from a third party seller) it retails for about $600-800 new, even used I could not find anything cheaper than $450 anywhere.

I really like the watch, so far it has kept time accurately and the GMT hand, seconds, and hour hand work perfectly fine. My only problem is that the date is basically stuck at 20. No matter how I twist the crown or what position I put it on, and no mater if I advance the hour/minute hands or the GMT hand the date just wont change. I literally did 10 full revolutions and the date just wont change. I got it for $300 which is alot cheaper than anywhere else, I don't really mind the date being stuck but I was wondering if the entire watch might be compromised and the likelihood of the entire watch failing later on.

Amazon offered a full refund obviously but now the watch is $700 on there from other sellers, they can't offer exchange since the third party seller only had one, and they can't give me a discount because it wasn't sold strictly from amazon.

Not sure what to do, all watch repair shops in my area are closed and I have no idea on how much it could cost, I don't even know if alpina will cover and if they did Ii don't want to wait 3 months for my watch.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I have an Alpina GMT AL-247LGG4TV6 movement is AL-247 which I could find nothing on. I got it yesterday from Amazon (New from a third party seller) it retails for about $600-800 new, even used I could not find anything cheaper than $450 anywhere.

I really like the watch, so far it has kept time accurately and the GMT hand, seconds, and hour hand work perfectly fine. My only problem is that the date is basically stuck at 20. No matter how I twist the crown or what position I put it on, and no mater if I advance the hour/minute hands or the GMT hand the date just wont change. I literally did 10 full revolutions and the date just wont change. I got it for $300 which is alot cheaper than anywhere else, I don't really mind the date being stuck but I was wondering if the entire watch might be compromised and the likelihood of the entire watch failing later on.

Amazon offered a full refund obviously but now the watch is $700 on there from other sellers, they can't offer exchange since the third party seller only had one, and they can't give me a discount because it wasn't sold strictly from amazon.

Not sure what to do, all watch repair shops in my area are closed and I have no idea on how much it could cost, I don't even know if alpina will cover and if they did Ii don't want to wait 3 months for my watch.
Your best option is to return the watch. Bought from amazon, it does NOT come with alpina warranty. The date not changing is not a big problem, the movement can function without all the calendar parts just fine, the problem however is that, even if watch shops were open, you won't be able to find a watchmaker who will agree to spend time on a cheap quartz. The watch itself may not be cheap, but the movement inside is, a 1 jewel caliber makes me think is a very basic model, which is just being replaced altogether if there is a problem, never fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts