WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely wife decided to let me have this present for my birthday instead of waiting for Christmas. I really love the watch, my first Speedy. I'm a little confused though. the seller told me that it was 1974 vintage. I opened the back and the movement number is 399XXXXX which would put it somewhere in 1975-76. no big deal if the seller was off a year, it sure as heck ain't a birth year watch!!

However after looking at the dial very closely, and comparing the script to the examples on Chucks great Omega info site, the dial looks to be a"mature Speedy dial" from the early 80's rather than a "Adolescent dial" from the 70's.

I'm enclosing a couple of photos so that the Speedy experts can give me an idea about the dial . And whether or not this is the original dial for this age watch or has it undergone a redial at some time. It certainly looks old, as the tritium has darkened to the point of being invisible.

I'm going to have it serviced, and the question is redial with the correct dial for this age watch or relume this one and repair/relume the hands.

thanks in advance
Arthur

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well, It seems I am the first to answer,

Movement number 399XXXXX goes into 1979, later part of the year.

The dial and hands look original to that year. Or then much older.

Just for the comparision, my 861 145.0022 is year 1983 and not that old really. I allways thought my dial and hands are original...but not really sure anymore.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
According to Roman Hartmann´s table your watch is a 79er, so the dial and hands are correct.
Here´s a link to Chuck´s website were you can find the table:
http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/romans.html

BTW Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Congrats, Arthur! A Speedy from any year is exciting.

As the other fellas mentioned, the sn from the movement dates it to around '79. Keep in mind that those dates are approximate, and the best we can really hope for is within a few years. Often, things are more confused, as the caseback may have been manufactured a few years prior to final assembly of the watch. So, it may very well be marked -74.

Here's a comparison I put together awhile back, showing the different dial variants, over time.

These are approximate dates when Omega started using these dials, and certainly vary within a few years. As you can see, your dial matches that from the '80s, so it wouldn't surprise me if Omega started using this dial in the late 70s. I'd feel comfortable saying it's original.

Hope that helps a bit.

eric

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much to you folks who responded to my post. the info you gave me clears up a few things for me. I have been talking to my watchmaker about the various options. He is recommending a NOS dial from the correct period rather than try a relume. He has done a couple of relumes for me on dive watches, and they look OK, but as he said, your never going to get that perfect ,from the factory look, with a relume. Also I'm not looking for a superluminova lume job that glows like a torch! My Seiko Tunas take care of that.
Now if I can just find a Seamaster for my wife, we'll be in business!
Thanks again
Arthur

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I'd rather date your sister.............

the movement may have been manufactured in 67, the case in 69, caseback in 72 and so on. Its confusing for me to date one even
with the correct numbers. If I wanted a 74, and thats the year it
was sold in, I wouldn't have a problem calling it that. Who knows.
Thats the problem having with having part manufactured in different
places at different times and being assembled later.
jim

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ok, I'll confess to being buffaloed - I'm not seeing a substantive difference between your four dials Eric - what's the difference between them? John

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Ok, I'll confess to being buffaloed - I'm not seeing a substantive difference between your four dials Eric - what's the difference between them? John
Check out the differences in the first "S" and the last "r."

I'd goof around with photoshop, now, and point out the differences, but I don't have it loaded on this computer, and there's no tv upstairs in my office, where I have photoshop. The Bears are actually winning, somehow, so I can't walk away.

I gotta go down to Chicago in the morning, but I'll sit down and mess with the image and post it soon.

eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts