WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching the forums as I'm sure someone has tried it before, but can anyone help me sourcing a date wheel overlay to suit the NH35/36 series of movements?
All the units I found for sale seem to be for ETAs so maybe they fit too?
I'm trying to rotate the date wheel of this style of movement without having to modify the click spring so I figure an overlay/sticker would be the best option.
Would appreciate if someone with experience on the matter has any help for me.
Cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one seems to know so I scanned in a date wheel on a high res scanner, then set the scaling as 1:1, then sent the image to a printer to print a sheet of 0.2mm vinyl, then I'll cut it out with a scalpel.
All up the cost was about $20 for a sheet of 10 and it lets me fit NH35/36 movements to 700* cases with a date wheel that lines up with the window. Clearance between the date wheel and the bottom of the dial is still ~0.3mm so it won't stick and the material is the same as what car decals are made of so it shouldn't shrink or fade for a long time.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I wonder if you can lay these on thin alum foil as a backer?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if you can lay these on thin alum foil as a backer?
You possibly could but then the teeth alignment may be out so using an existing date wheel and laying the adhesive over it is easiest.
I'd considered machining a 7002 date wheel to fit the movement but the precision and time required didn't fit me as well as the adhesive option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi @Yamidan , sounds like a great little project, please share photos of the end result.
Will do, I've got me 7002-7001 case all cleaned and ready, the movement has been test fitted and an old dial has had the feet shaved off ready to go on some dial dots.
It's all a little hacky but once it goes together I doubt very much it'll ever see enough forces to knock anything out of alignment.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You possibly could but then the teeth alignment may be out so using an existing date wheel and laying the adhesive over it is easiest.
I'd considered machining a 7002 date wheel to fit the movement but the precision and time required didn't fit me as well as the adhesive option.
I meant to stiffen the overlay up, cut it out as normal and glue that down. It may make it too thick though. Just an idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant to stiffen the overlay up, cut it out as normal and glue that down. It may make it too thick though. Just an idea.
Could do, but it's already printed on adhesive backed vinyl so I just take off the backing and press the original date wheel directly onto the sticker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts