WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone here seems to have their own ideas as to what makes a watch a 'no-go'. 'Red lines' than mean that a watch, even though it fulfills a lot of their other criteria for a perfect watch, just kill it for them. One of my biggies is date windows.

Now, I do have watches that have date windows, but they are ones I have had for a long time, and no longer wear. I won't go into all my other 'no-nos' here, but I was just wondering where other people stand on this 'issue'.

I'm not saying I will NEVER buy another watch with a date window, but it would definitely have to be perfectly placed, very subtle, and probably on a watch that was otherwise astoundingly special where no 'none-date' version existed.

Please note I am NOT talking about 'pointer dates' here. Just those date displays that require a big hole in the dial. I am fully aware that many people do not share my 'prejudice'. Manufacturers seem to churn out many more models with this function than without. I also know that lots of people couldn't dream of having a watch without some sort of date indication.

Can anyone show me an example of watch that is available 'with' and 'without' a date function that looks better WITH it? I don't think I have ever seen one. At BEST I can think of some watches where the date window does not spoil the look 'too much' for me.

Many thanks. (I am donning my flame proof suit now..) :)

PS - I'm also interested to hear from those people who often say 'that would be a really nice watch if it had a date function'. Why is this function so important to you?

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Whether a particular watch has a date window or not doesn't bother me really - I go for the whole ensemble look, if it looks right I buy it.
Date window or not is not something in my list of ticks.

(The only date window that would turn me off a watch is the sort you get at the 4:30 position,whether they've turned the digits to be level or not, it should be at 3oclock or 6oclock - This sort > http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/346/598346_120131214427_SSB011P1-4.jpg or this sort https://www.watchuseek.com/attachme...w-565846d1322361238-i-blame-you-guys-556a.jpg - both look silly......... imho ;-))

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
I like watches with date windows as long as they are out toward the dial edge and at 12:00 or 6:00. I avoid watches with cyclops magnifiers over the date window.

And I enjoy time only watches as well.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't like the date window design-wise--it is a turnoff. Forget the Rolex-style cyclops, that is very ugly to me.

That said, most of the time I do wear watches with date windows because I like the watch overall, and I find I have gotten used to the functionality. I glance down for the date all the time. I'm wearing a watch without date function today for the first time in a while and it is taking some getting used to.

So even though the aesthetics of watches are very, very important to me, it turns out functionality does matter to me a little bit!

Reactions: CCJ

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I prefer most watches without a date (and definitely no day, month or year) aethestically. However, when it comes down to it I would probably opt for one with it. I can't count the number of times I've looked down at my watch for the date only to realize this one doesn't have it. Then I have to go digging for my cell phone or sometimes I left it elsewhere and have to ask :-x.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't like the date window design-wise--it is a turnoff. Forget the Rolex-style cyclops, that is very ugly to me.

That said, most of the time I do wear watches with date windows because I like the watch overall, and I find I have gotten used to the functionality. I glance down for the date all the time. I'm wearing a watch without date function today for the first time in a while and it is taking some getting used to.

So even though the aesthetics of watches are very, very important to me, it turns out functionality does matter to me a little bit!
A very fair response. I'd be really interested to know though, if there is something particular in your daily life that means you need to have the date to hand all the time? Or is it just a habit?

I find once I know the date for a given day, I can member it for as long as I need. There is always someone to ask, and I usually have my phone with me (plus diary, when working). I find I need to know the date far less frequently than I need to know the time, so it can be slightly less accessible. I need to know the exchange rate between dollars and euros VERY infrequently (almost never) so that can be less accessible still (on the internet somewhere).

Reactions: eddieo396

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I prefer watches without dates but don't rule out the date because it would significantly reduce the number of watches on the market. If there is a date, I prefer it to be unobtrusive, but I do have some watches with very bold or distinctive date windows just for variety. Cyclops is a no go - at least for another decade, I hope.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I prefer most watches without a date (and definitely no day, month or year) aethestically. However, when it comes down to it I would probably opt for one with it. I can't count the number of times I've looked down at my watch for the date only to realize this one doesn't have it. Then I have to go digging for my cell phone or sometimes I left it elsewhere and have to ask :-x.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
This is no problem when none of your watches have the date.. ;)

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
Own both with and without. Much prefer without, just an aesthetic preference I guess and don't really rely on a watch for the date. Rarely, if ever, set correct date when wearing the pieces with date function, which I've discovered drives some people batty . . . . .

Reactions: CCCP and brummyjon

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Own both with and without. Much prefer without, just an aesthetic preference I guess and don't really rely on a watch for the date. Rarely, if ever, set correct date when wearing the pieces with date function, which I've discovered drives some people batty . . . . .
This made me smile. I never used to set the date either, when I used to wear watches with dates. It used to drive ME batty, and annoy me that there was a random number there, peering through an imperfection in the dial..

Reactions: CCCP and drhr

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't rule anything out. If the watch is aesthetically pleasing to me I'll buy it. That said, I do appreciate the convenience of having the date close at hand. (See what I did there? 'Cuz it's on my wrist! Oh, comedy)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I prefer watches without dates but don't rule out the date because it would significantly reduce the number of watches on the market.
Actually, being rigidly anti-date is a useful way to prevent myself from buying too many watches. :)

I do recognize the utility in having a date window. That being said, I'm tremendously picky and I find cutting gaping holes into a watch dial all too often wrecks the looks and symmetry of the watch for me. I find date windows that have replaced numbers or markers on the dial absolutely intolerable, and I refuse to even contemplate buying such a watch. I find the cyclops horrifying.

Truncating markers is annoying, but I might be able to live with it if I loved the watch otherwise (SARB021 or Nighthawk). If the watch must have a date, I prefer it tucked away unobtrusively like the Sinn U1 (3:00), some Armida Watches (4:30), or the Stowa Prodiver (6:00). Dateless, like the Stowa Flieger I received yesterday, is better though. :)

Designs like the Damasko Da36 are intriguing, if a little cluttered. The way Seiko designs their date windows make me crazy for the most part, but I love that I could potentially mod many of their watches to get rid of the window.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Date windows between 4&5 with figures at an angle are a no-no or if they cut the 3 or 6 . The Nomos Tangente Datum is €400 more than the no date model . I would rather have a cleaner dial & put the money into the "next watch" fund.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i'm good with dates on quartz watches. it's having a date on a mechanical that bugs me because my watches wind down all the time and it is such a pain to have to set the date everytime I pick up a new watch in my rotation.

Reactions: pidu

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I like both.

Slightly prefer with date function as I am in a fast paced job and sometimes do forget the date! Also my watches are heavy on complications. That is half the fascination in owning these mechanical wonders for me - and a date is another function that has to be just right!

I also agree with those that say if it looks right on the watch then buy it - if not then don't. Examples are that I hate the date with cyclops on a Rolex as it doesn't look right on that style of watch to me. But on a Panerai it looks good (so I bought one). Also I don't like the date at 4.30 on a dial either - but it looks good on the busy dial of a Navitimer (so I bought one). Etc.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
i like these, they're almost stealth, they're there, but they don't distract from anything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I guess it comes down to function vs. aesthetics as well. I still use the watch as a tool to tell the time and date reliably, so an accurate watch with perpetual date function is what I prefer.

I find the date window not only aesthetically less busy and intrusive, but also more functional than a date subdial.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts