WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The DJ36 is on my want list and I'm considering either blue or silver. I like that the blue gives off more a modern vibe (IMO of course) while the silver may be more the classic choice. In either dial color I'd want the fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, and sticks. Which one do you like more and why?

Edit: weird, seems that the poll function is not working.

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
Blue is my favourite colour, so I always say Blue, but it also depends on whether you have other Watches in your collection, and what dial colours they are.

For a DateJust, I would prefer a fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, and blue dial, but that's me, although I only buy Watches with no date feature, so a DATEJust is unfortunately a no-go for me.

Either way, you will be getting a really nice Watch.

All the Best, and hope you receive the call/text soon from your Rolex Authorised Dealer.

Reactions: dsquared24

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue is my favourite colour, so I always say Blue, but it also depends on whether you have other Watches in your collection, and what dial colours they are.

For a DateJust, I would prefer a fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, and blue dial, but that's me, although I only buy Watches with no date feature, so a DATEJust is unfortunately a no-go for me.

Either way, you will be getting a really nice Watch.

All the Best, and hope you receive the call/text soon from your Rolex Authorised Dealer.
Thanks for the response Dan. Blue is also my favorite color. I intentionally didn't mention what other watches I owned since I didn't want to bias the community with that info. I wanted to get a sense what members would pick in a vacuum.

I've always loved your collection and admire the no date aspect on it. I was on that road for some time in the past, but have opened up my choices to include a date now. Parts of me would like to go back on that though, since I still strongly prefer watches without a date if offered. I guess it wouldn't hurt if I had one watch with a date and the rest without lol.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put in an order for a silver dial about a month ago. It has a very clean look to it. The blue is great too and probably would have been my choice if I didn’t already have a blue Aqua Terra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dsquared24

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are considering my favorite DJ configuration and my two favorite dial colors. I went with silver.

I have actually thought about getting another DJ36 in blue, but on oyster with smooth bezel for a sportier vibe.

View attachment 15934195
Looks great! For me I like the blue in almost all conditions and it provides a great contrast. With the silver there's just a few more angles or conditions where the dial seems to wash out and it isn't as legible. Your pic demonstrates where I really like the silver.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Blue.

Silver too sterile

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may belong in your other thread, but for me the blue dial also runs the risk of being somewhat duplicative of my Explorer below. I agree the darker dials offer more contrast and legibility, but I use the silver as more of a dress watch, so legibility is not critical for me with it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I ordered the exact configuration you’re speaking of in blue from my local AD last month as I’ve always wanted a DJ36 and it was one of the few watches they could actually put on order. Was told the wait for it to come from Rolex would be significantly shorter for the silver dial, but that wouldn’t sway me. Always thought of silver/champagne as a very classic DJ color but for some reason I think it looks best on 4 and 5 digit references. The blue dial just seems to work better in the 126234 to my eyes. Could be entirely mistaken—but it is just preference. They will both look great no matter what.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the exact configuration you’re speaking of in blue from my local AD last month as I’ve always wanted a DJ36 and it was one of the few watches they could actually put on order. Was told the wait for it to come from Rolex would be significantly shorter for the silver dial, but that wouldn’t sway me. Always thought of silver/champagne as a very classic DJ color but for some reason I think it looks best on 4 and 5 digit references. The blue dial just seems to work better in the 126234 to my eyes. Could be entirely mistaken—but it is just preference. They will both look great no matter what.
Now that you mentioned it. I completely agree. I think the silver looks better on the 4 and 5 digit references and as I was growing up it’s what I saw and maybe subconsciously connect with now. From a visual perspective it’s hard to articulate why I think it looks best on those references though. Perhaps the dial furniture is thinner/smaller thus lending to its classic look. While the blue as I stated in the OP looks more modern and thus pairs better with the thicker hands and indices. You might be on to something. Hope you get your DJ soon! Curious - what was the timing on the orders?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have that same dilemma, only I’m partial to the oyster bracelet.

Blue is my 1st choice and silver a close second, but I have a 36mm Omega Seamaster with a blue dial. The Rolex DJ blue is stunning, but 2 blue disks in what would be a 4-watch collection might be unbalanced.

White looks sharp, but is a bit much for my taste. Silver is a good choice to fill the non-black neutral slot. You can’t go wrong with either. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The DJ36 is on my want list and I'm considering either blue or silver. I like that the blue gives off more a modern vibe (IMO of course) while the silver may be more the classic choice. In either dial color I'd want the fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, and sticks. Which one do you like more and why?
You've down selected to my 2 favorite Rolex combinations......so tough and no wrong choice.
I simply LOVE Rolex's silver dials so much....they blend in with the watches metal and give off an almost antique, yet watery affect including the cyclops magnifier.
That said, the blue on stainless look is very sharp and sporty looking.
(I have 8" wrists) so have both watches in 41mm, but would LOVE to be able to go 36mm as you are.
I also have the Explorer-I in 39mm, so I'll probably never go 36mm.

To me the coolest one-two punch in the Rolex catalog is the new 36mm Explorer-I and one of the watches in your poll.
You can't go wrong and can always send your Datejust in for dial swap in the future if desired.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
This may belong in your other thread, but for me the blue dial also runs the risk of being somewhat duplicative of my Explorer below. I agree the darker dials offer more contrast and legibility, but I use the silver as more of a dress watch, so legibility is not critical for me with it.

View attachment 15934214
Is this the new 36mm?
Either way looks fantastic!
Adding a Datejust-36 as OP suggests, and they are the only 2 watches I would need for a lifetime...
:cool:(y)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts