WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted a Rolex Datejust with a white gold bezel and shortly my wife and I will welcome our first child to the world (good excuse!).

What are your feelings on pre-owned versus brand new? Are there any older models that I should be especially on the lookout for or steer clear of?

It's clear that I can get a nice pre-owned one for several thousand dollars but significantly more if I want a new one (e.g. DJII). I am enticed by the savings of getting a pre-owned one but at the same time there is something about having my very own new watch from new.

One thing I am worried about when it comes to pre-owned is that you cannot see the movement (not that I'd know what I am looking at even if I could see it to be honest). Is it reasonable to be concerned that the movement has been butchered if buying pre-owned and how can I safeguard against it?

Are there any reputable retailers/resellers or websites that you'd recommend (I am in the NY area)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have purchased both new and used. If you wish to contact me privately, there a sellers on the dealer forum that sell both new and used and have earned the highest ratings. I have personally dealt with and would trust them with uncounted money. You cannot go wrong either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I can’t imagine wearing a wrist watch a stranger wore.....on any level.
If a watch was passed down through family.....different story.

So as human beings, we’re sentimental enough to buy a personal item to represent a new life born to this planet and our family, yet mark the occasion with someone else’s random, used, possibly tampered with item.

Interesting.....

·
Registered
18,500 Posts
I can't recommend any dealers in the NY area as I am in the other side of the world but I can always provide you my 2c worth.

The answer to your conundrum is buy new. Yes, you can have savings of a few thousand going the used route. If it is something to mark the birth of your child and a very special occasion, wouldn't you want a watch of the same year to develop a history with? Depending on the gender of your child, you might buy one that has appeal to either gender and you can hand down to your child at a milestone, say 16 or 18 years old and let your child continue the relationship with that watch?

·
Registered
421 Posts
If new is within your budget, you cannot go wrong with new. You get the latest features as well as a watch with a known history.

If the money is important, used is a good way to go. When properly maintained, these watches last a long time. An old watch just back from a service is accurately described as "good as new."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts