WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

It is my 30th birthday coming up soon and my wife has generously offered to buy me a watch to mark the occasion.
I have a somewhat "classic" style (she describes it as old man-ish) and the Rolex Datejust ii is catching my eye more than the sports models that the company offers.

As an aerospace engineer I normally wear a smart shirt and tie for my office work. My casual clothing style is Oxford shirt and smart trousers, no trainers and t-shirt for me.

Looking through the Datejust ii configuration on the rolex website there are 3 colours which draw my eye (all with the smooth steel bezel and baton hour markers)
- blue face
- white face
- silver face

I was wondering which dials and hour markers are the most popular among the WIS on this forum?
Please post pics if able (any excuse )

Take care

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,766 Posts
My DJ II had the cream white dial with stick markers. It was the prettiest DJ I've owned. Sold it because it was too big for my 7 3/4" wrist.

Attachments

Reactions: Desert

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just picked up this Datejust 41. Love the changes they made from the Datejust II and the jubilee bracelet is amazing. On the Datejust II I love the blue face with Romans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,042 Posts
Hi all.

It is my 30th birthday coming up soon and my wife has generously offered to buy me a watch to mark the occasion.
I have a somewhat "classic" style (she describes it as old man-ish) and the Rolex Datejust ii is catching my eye more than the sports models that the company offers.
Normal size DJ: Classic, will nicely match your style

DJ2: Not a good idea unless you are a gorilla, and even then not a good idea because it will probably get pretty scratched up from doing gorilla stuff

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just picked up this Datejust 41. Love the changes they made from the Datejust II and the jubilee bracelet is amazing. On the Datejust II I love the blue face with Romans.

Looks great, I have a classic 36 DJ in the same TT Jubilee configuration, but the larger size really looks impressive. Interesting that there are Arabic numerals around the outer edge of the face, mine has Roman numerals in the same location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Sticking to your original question, I would go with the silver face. The blue is gorgeous but the silver is more "classic" and versatile and should match your classic style. Now you will see many here have suggested you look at a 36mm. To me that is the perfect size and I have 7.5 in wrists. Based on how you dress for work, if the size works for you the 36mm is a perfect watch. There is also a huge amount of choices between dial bezel and bracelets in the 36mm. Might be worth a look. My 1980 16014 below is in the "classic" silver dial and fluted bezel on jubilee. At the end of the day though, if your heart is set on the larger version, go for it. Buy what YOU like, the DJ2 is a beauty and there is no bad choice here.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go for the 116264 , turnograph, has a bezel that rotates so you can time things, has really replaced my submariner as my daily. Also did i mention red second hands and date

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, turns out that asking my wife for her opinion has swayed me - I went for the blue dial DJ2, smooth bezel, oyster bracelet.
Watch is absolutely stunning! Will post pics when I'm back from my business trip on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

I just tried on this model with champagne dial - Wow!

Fantastic choice!

-MLJinAK.

·
Registered
882 Posts
image.jpg
You really can't pick a "wrong" Datejust, it is a classic Rolex, dresses up well, but can take a thumping as well. I picked up a 36mm with a tapestry dial, I like the textured 3D effect of the dial, and the jubilee bracelet sets the watch apart from the sporty oyster bracelets of the sports models. Whatever you choose, there clearly is no wrong choice!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts