WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Kobold ever make a Seal with a date window?

I guess I'm like the person who can never just order something from the menu. Man, I hate those people and I've become one of them....arrrrg :-x

Anyway, I'll have the SS Seal, but can I get that with a date window (white characters on a black background), a PVD bezel and a red second hand.....oh and a glass of your best Cabernet ;-)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I love the Seal without the Date. I just don't can't picture the Seal with a date really "working" Now, the PVD bezel and red second hand, you got something going ther.e :p

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
There is no date option for the Seal. While there is a date inside, the dial is 4mm thick, about twice as thick as most dials out there. I know of no-one who has tempted fait and done the deed of trying to drill through the dial, as it will probably crack. Additionally there are no spare dials out there, and I am sure Kobold wouldn't sell one to someone who tried and failed that kind of dial work.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Not to mention that if you did drill a hole for the date window, the thickness of the dial + the domed crystal would make it all but impossible to read.

Symmetry rules!

DJK

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Oh I bet it's possible and it would probably look fine too. It would take a brave watchmaker but if it were someone who wasn't afraid of the possibility of a redial you'd be good to go. 4mm isn't that thick plus I'd be very surprised if it were really that thick. If it is a metal dial which I'm sure it is it should drill very easily if done properly.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I personally know of someone doing it. And they verified that it is indeed 4mm thick, and that they would not do it for anyone, as the potential to damage the dial is "very high" as they stated...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if the fine watchmakers at Kobold or RGM would attempt it? :think:

Like Peter said, it's probably a soft metal and drilling through it with a drill press wouldn't be that difficult. I would worry about paint chipping off the face of the dial and how to cleanly black out the walls of the hole after the drilling process was completed.

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. As far as the obsession with symmetry goes, there may be a 12 stepper out there for that ailment, LOL! :) You could always put the date at 6 o'clock...That would a least give you vert. symmetry.

Obie,

Please let that brave watchmaker know, if they're ever thinking about getting rid of that mod'd Seal to let me know....

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Kobold won't do it, so I wouldn't even bother asking. Also the watchmaker said he wouldn't do it again, but it sounds like other people here will try it on their own watch.

Want a date window, go for the LSD or SMG-1.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Fascinating discussion. I think most dials are made of brass - very soft. But 4mm thick -- why? Probably to make that fantastic domed crystal work with such mesmerizing force......As I wear my SEAL just about ALL the time these days, I've found myself asking more folks, is today the 7th or the 8th? i never had to ask the date before, but before I blame my dateless SEAL I think it has more to do with being disabled and out of work since the end of Sept., and just not caring that much about what day it is.

I think it would be great if they offered the SEAL with the SMG-1 red sweep as an option and the PVD'd bezel as well. I had this chat with Brian yesterday and he said he would mention it to Mike.

BTW ----for those who are interested - there are several Ti SEALS at KOBOLD -- NEW ONES -- FOR SALE-- NOT Tactical SEALS, but unpolished Ti.

Just thought I'd mention it as it seems someone is always looking for one or two...heard someone bought 4 of them at one pop this week.....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The dial is thick in order to shield the movement from magnetic forces--the antimagnetism of the Seal is very high (same as the IWC Inge and Rolex Milgauss). I'm guessing that this also means that the dial is made of soft iron (or perhaps a thin brass dial sandwiched to a soft-iron plate is more likely).

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Mmmm, sandwiches, think I will have an old school pb and j for lunch

·
G-Shock Mod
14,271 Posts
i like the idea of a SEAL with date window

for me, my watches much have

(1) a date window
(2) some kind of timing device (timing bezel, chronograph, etc)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts