WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, for average person like me , to get 1 lange is EXTREMELY difficult and i will only buy once in my lifetime probably. So i want to know what is the general opinion here.

If you can only get 1 lange, would you go for dato or lange 1? Btw , i am talking about the first dato vs lange 1 all platinum darth vader.

I am keen to know your thoughts. Thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For these two watches I think you really need to spend some time with them on your wrist--particularly the Datograph because for some it does not wear well.

The Lange 1 is less of a wild card and wears in quite a classic way.

You really can't go wrong with either piece.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
You're choosing between what many would consider the two most iconic Langes (both equally reliable), but they're very different from each other, so it's entirely personal preference. If you love chronographs, then it'd be the Dato. If you can take or leave the chronograph function, then it'd be the Lange 1. That's what I'd use to make the decision. Also, remember that the Dato is thicker and almost twice as expensive as the Lange 1 on the preowned market.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For me this are 2 of the maust beautiful watches made till today, but if i could afford it and since i'm a chronograph guy, it would be the datograph, but it's a personal and very expensive choose and needs to be sense in the wrist

·
Registered
204 Posts
They are so different I’m not sure how we could advise you. You need to try them on—it’s as simple as that. They are both absolutely fantastic watches that had a profound affect on the Swiss watch industry for very different reason.

The Lange 1 showed off, in particular, Glashüette’s design skills with a modern incorporation of the “big date” function and an effective and instantly recognizable use of an eccentric/off center design. And it did this with traditional German watchmaking touches such as gold chatons and a three quarter plate.

The Datograph showed that Lange was capable of meeting or surpassing the best Switzerland had to offer with respect to perhaps the most challenging complication, the chronograph.

Seriously, you can’t go wrong with either, but they are very different watches on the wrist. Please try them on before deciding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both nice choices but they they are different watches and prices.
My choice would be the Dato. Just flip over and look at the movements

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
If you like Chrono, I would say Datograph, nothing feels the same when pushing the chrono pushers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Datograph. Even Philippe Dufour shows great appreciation for this beauty. It's so much more striking in person too than Lange 1. Lange 1 may be an iconic piece among the Lange lineup, but I feel like Datograph has an extra oomph and appeal that Lange 1 simply doesn't bring to the table.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts