WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Davidoff Very Zino

I read somewhere that B&M may be doing their watches, I really don't know how to find that out for sure but the watch seems very well built. I mean, Davidoff, some of you may be wondering as you read this, does what? Perfume? Cool Water? So this may very well be a business partnership between two companies, one is the brand and the other one is the anonymous watch maker.

So I'm into intriguing designs and polarizing watches. This one though, it is very polarizing. I'm not fond of those tell me what you think threads but this one will be a review/tell me what you think so I can be at ease.

Dial

0226161751.jpg

Nice looking dial with fine detailing all around. There is a lot of texture and different levels of height going on. You have striping and markers; you have the 12th applied and the others painted on a higher surface. Contrast between colors is also very prominent. The markers feel like they are up in the air and their design is pretty neat. All of the markers rounding the dial are lumed.

Case

0226161751a.jpg

The case has some very nice see through lugs and I love that about the watch. The webpage says it is 12mm thick but my measurement puts it more towards 10mm. As I mentioned before, I like unique designs. The crown has squared edges and that detail is pretty nice too. As you noticed, the actual shape is an ellipsis. The measurement is 44mm from nine to three, 38mm from twelve to six and 45mm lug to lug. The size fits my wrist very well since I like to stay around 40mm and below. The rest of the case is nicely polished, nothing to out of the norm in terms of the overall design but the ellipsis part, you either love it or hate it.

Movement

0226161752.jpg

The movement alone might be worth the price I paid for the watch. It is very nicely finished and that is why I don't think a newcomer can just finish a watch like that. The finishing is on par with an Eterna Vaughan I used to own and a Jeanrichard 1681 that lasted 30 seconds on my wrist before going back. It is an ETA 2895-2 and obviously I have not timed it yet.

Lume

0226161830.jpg

It has some lume, definitely not the brightest on this world but it has some. Not sure if you can expect much more there. The markers are not super big either.

Wristshot - Wearability

0226161753a.jpg
0226161753.jpg

It looks good on the wrist. Definitely not a conventional design but it fits the wrist well. The strap is ~20mm at the lugs, although, over the lugs is 25mm. It would be interesting to see the watch with other straps exposing the lugs more. It is a bummer that this is one of those straps that you would have to cut to re-size. That is an inconvenience.

Final Thoughts

I like the watch but I am a little bit hesitant. I think I will feel better after reading what people think. The watch is very well built, the movement decoration is awesome. The design is polarizing, you don't see an ellipsis watch very often and see trough lugs either. It looks good on the wrist and it is very well worth it for the price. There's that small inconvenience with the strap but any aftermarket strap will make it look good, probably even better than on rubber. I'm going to toss it over to you guys now, what do you think?

Specs

FUNCTIONS
POWER RESERVE
FEATURES
TWO HAND
SMALL SECONDS
DATE
CASE
SHAPE:Ellipse
FINISH:Polished
MATERIAL:Stainless Steel
WIDTH:44 mm without crown
CASE LENGTH WITH LUGS:46 mm
WATER RESISTANCE:50 m (165 feet)
CRYSTAL:Sapphire Crystal Scratch Resistant Anti Reflective
THICKNESS:12 mm
CASE BACK:Screw-In Sapphire Crystal See-Through
DIAL
ATTRIBUTES:Engraved and Sunburst Effect
COLOR:Silver and Black
HANDS:Silver Tone Hands
MARKERS:Arabic Numerals Silver Tone

BEZEL
MATERIAL:Stainless Steel
MOVEMENT
TYPE:Swiss Mechanical Automatic (Self-Winding)
CALIBER:ETA 2895-2
JEWELS:27
CALENDAR:Date at 3 o'clock
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:Made in Switzerland
CROWN:Pull and Push Crown
BAND
BAND TYPE:Strap
BAND MATERIAL:Rubber
BAND COLOR:Black
WIDTH:25 mm
LENGTH:8 inches
CLASP:Double Folding Clasp with Push Button

·
Registered
31,880 Posts
Now that I've gotten that out of my system, it may be better with pics without the plastics, it makes the thing look cheap and nasty.

I dont one think it would change my opinion on the watch itself however it may make me view it with less harsh eyes

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
…it may be better with pics without the plastics, it makes the thing look cheap and nasty.
I think he's keeping the plastic on so he can return it.

Personally, I'm not a fan. The plates at 2 - 4 and 8 - 10 are too distracting - at first glance, they look like an exposed giant date wheel. And the date and stencil print kill it.

I would be able to see the appeal sans plates and date. But those plates are disorienting.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm being extremely careful. I don't want to have an "it is worn" issue if I decide not to keep it so sorry for the plastics on the pics.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not a fan. The dark arcs on either side remind me of giant parentheses, enclosing the dial. And the elliptical shape--kind of like the AP Millenary collection, which I also don't like.

I could see some folks liking this--it's distinctive in some ways. But it's not for me.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Haven't been a fan of these elliptical dials since I first saw them.

This.. +1
I saw them on Ashford deals, but couldnot tell from their site if the dials were round or not. Looked a bit weird or is it just me?
The Velero models are far more attractive.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I always appreciate a watch that shows some some interesting design went into the looks or features. This one is nice but not for me. I like the overall look and the shape is subtle enough that I would wear it. I don't care for the dressy dial with the oversize, kind of industrial looking numbers-- the mix of styles is too jarring. My biggest problem with this watch (and many others, including some that I own) is the large size and rubber strap coupled with dress watch WR.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This.. +1
I saw them on Ashford deals, but couldnot tell from their site if the dials were round or not. Looked a bit weird or is it just me?
The Velero models are far more attractive.
The pictures from Ashford were taken in a way (I don't want to say altered because it would be wrong from my party without evidence) that it does not make it look that elliptical. My pictures make it look very different.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Doesn't everyone know Davidoff as a tobacconist and luxury brand?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I think it's a pretty unique piece. While it's not my style, if you like it, you should keep it. You probably won't run across many others in the wild!

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Doesn't everyone know Davidoff as a tobacconist and luxury brand?
Luxury brand. It's just so diversified that it varies from (great) cigars to Swiss watches.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts